PDA

View Full Version : XPost: New Member - Post Op Pixie Regrowing Hair again!

Steven's Bride
August 31st, 2013, 02:39 PM
Hi everyone! I'm new here.

I used to have BSL hair, but I had to have a surgery last August on my head to remove a large tumor. It was something that I was born with, but the longer it stayed, the better chance it would turn cancerous as I grew older. The surgery required they shaved a good section of my hair, but eventually I cut the rest off since the post-op pain and healing were quite rough. It was hard to manage both the healing / wound and the hair. So one had to go :(

So now it has been a year since my surgery and everything has healed quite nicely. It is SO nice to no longer be in pain! The tumor itself always hurt and was so painful, especially in the winter time. Also, it was quite ugly (LOL). So anytime I wore my hair up, it would show and I was so ashamed since people would point it out in public. So really, even though I loved my hair so long, I was limited to a low updo or a low ponytail. Not many options:)

I'm excited to regrow my hair and now I can really enjoy it since I won't be hiding the tumor. I don't know much about my hair type or anything like that. I also have photos of me now, but I don't know how to do add those either. But I look forward to getting to know everyone here!

~Angela

Wildcat Diva
August 31st, 2013, 03:09 PM
So glad you're here! What an intriguing story of your long hair journey!

Steven's Bride
August 31st, 2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Wildcat Diva!

Chromis
August 31st, 2013, 03:45 PM
Welcome! I have also grown my hair out after having a tumour out! Mine was deep rather sticking out, but man did it hurt! They shaved me for the surgery and my current length is me ten years later now :)

faellen
August 31st, 2013, 04:06 PM
Welcome! I wish you luck on your growth journey :D And I'm glad you are no longer in pain!

HumanBean
August 31st, 2013, 05:40 PM
Wow I can't imagine! So glad you are here and happy growing!

Firefox7275
August 31st, 2013, 06:57 PM
Welcome to LHC!

Steven's Bride
August 31st, 2013, 07:09 PM
Thank you, everyone! I love your lovely hair photos, it gives me an idea of what I want to aim for!

CaranDulin
August 31st, 2013, 07:12 PM
Welcome! We're glad to have you. :3 Feel free to ask anything!

Steven's Bride
August 31st, 2013, 07:13 PM
How do I begin to know my hair type? I checked in the Help section, but the link was broken.

RavennaNight
August 31st, 2013, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the boards! :flower:

Leeloo
August 31st, 2013, 09:46 PM
So glad you're feeling better. Welcome and happy growing!

Yozhik
August 31st, 2013, 10:24 PM
Welcome! I'm glad you are no longer in pain, and happy journeys growing your hair long again.

I'm not sure about where the hairtype links might have gone, but basically the first indicator is amount/lack of wave (with the 1 range being straight, 2 being wavy, 3 being curly, and 4 being super curly, and a/b/c indicating degree); the second indicator is texture (a good guideline is a piece of thread - if your hair is thicker than it, you have coarse hair, thinner, then you have fine hair, and about the same, then you have medium strand-thickness); the third indicator is ponytail circumference measured at the base of your neck (under 1 inch being i; 2-4 = ii; and 4+ being iii).

So, for instance, I'm 2b/c-M-ii/iii because I have wavy hair with a varying degree of defined ringlets; my hair has medium coarseness; and my circumference measures 3.75 to a bit over 4 inches.

I know that was long-winded, but hopefully that will help until someone can find you that link. :flower:

You can also take a photo of your hair after washing it, drying it without brushing it or putting any product in it, and we can help you determine the waviness. :)

AmyBeth
August 31st, 2013, 11:03 PM
Welcome to LHC! I'm so glad you're healthy and pain-free. And now, since you shaved, you can start your hair growing healthy and long with no damage to worry about.:)

jacqueline101
September 1st, 2013, 04:11 PM
Welcome to the long hair community.

Steven's Bride
September 1st, 2013, 06:30 PM
Welcome! I'm glad you are no longer in pain, and happy journeys growing your hair long again.

I'm not sure about where the hairtype links might have gone, but basically the first indicator is amount/lack of wave (with the 1 range being straight, 2 being wavy, 3 being curly, and 4 being super curly, and a/b/c indicating degree); the second indicator is texture (a good guideline is a piece of thread - if your hair is thicker than it, you have coarse hair, thinner, then you have fine hair, and about the same, then you have medium strand-thickness); the third indicator is ponytail circumference measured at the base of your neck (under 1 inch being i; 2-4 = ii; and 4+ being iii).

So, for instance, I'm 2b/c-M-ii/iii because I have wavy hair with a varying degree of defined ringlets; my hair has medium coarseness; and my circumference measures 3.75 to a bit over 4 inches.

I know that was long-winded, but hopefully that will help until someone can find you that link. :flower:

You can also take a photo of your hair after washing it, drying it without brushing it or putting any product in it, and we can help you determine the waviness. :)

Okay, so I know that I have straight hair. Super straight. So that would be a 1. My hair is fine, so that is an F? And it will be awhile until I get it in a ponytail, but it was always thinner. So that would probably be an i. 1/F/i?

When I am allowed to, I'd be happy to post a picture. This board is so fun! :)

Yozhik
September 1st, 2013, 11:25 PM
That sounds like the right classification, based on your description. ^_^

Is your hair dead straight with no body, or does it flip out a bit at the ends? If it hangs completely straight, then it's a 1a, otherwise if it has some body/volume/flippage it may be 1b/c. You may be surprised when you measure your ponytail circumference - the ii covers a lot of range (2-4), and I've often seen people on the boards who always were told by hairdressers that their hair was thinner actually categorize themselves as a ii, so it's anyone's guess until you can test your circumference for yourself. :)

Looking forward to your picture, and happy posting! :flower:

aspartame gram
September 1st, 2013, 11:44 PM
Welcome! So happy you have recovered!

joflakes
September 2nd, 2013, 02:14 AM
Welcome to LHC! It's great that your tumour got removed all okay, and best wishes with the hair growing. Everyone here is lovely! :D