PDA

View Full Version : bent hairs?

samanthajenalyn
August 31st, 2013, 02:36 PM
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this happens to other people or not, but when I wear updos, the ends of my hair will be bent when I take it out. Some of them will be at a 90 degree angle, & some of them will be completely bent so the end of the hair is facing upwards. I'm not sure how damaging this is, or if this could cause split ends. I was wondering if this happens to any one else? I only wear srunchies, and I don't wear them very tight. I'm also not rough with it when I put it up.

goldenlady
August 31st, 2013, 02:45 PM
This happens to me & always really concerns me! I tend to leave my ends hanging loose or gripped rather than included them in the updo for this reason.

ravenreed
August 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM
I use to get those a lot. I trim them as they catch on other hairs and lead to more tangles/splits. I usually clarify and moisturize and that helps.

samanthajenalyn
August 31st, 2013, 02:56 PM
This happens to me & always really concerns me! I tend to leave my ends hanging loose or gripped rather than included them in the updo for this reason.

Thank you for your reply! That is a good idea, I will try to start doing that too, to see if that could help. I want to start wearing my hair up more so I can stop worrying about it, but I don't want that to cause breakage or split ends.

ravenreed
August 31st, 2013, 03:00 PM
Mine seem to happen more at night when I am sleeping. When my sleep braid migrates under me and gets smooshed, I see more of them. Like I said, a good clarifying helps, so perhaps for me they are a symptom of build up.

samanthajenalyn
August 31st, 2013, 03:22 PM
Well I actually just clarified two days ago. But if I wet my hair, the bends will be gone once it dries. That's why I don't know if its damaging or not. But I will try clarifying again, because I did have a lot of build up and maybe I haven't gotten it all.

ravenreed
August 31st, 2013, 03:25 PM
Mine don't unbend. They are permanent, like little L's. Are yours more like J's? If so, maybe just moisturize a bit.

Well I actually just clarified two days ago. But if I wet my hair, the bends will be gone once it dries. That's why I don't know if its damaging or not. But I will try clarifying again.

jrmviola
August 31st, 2013, 03:29 PM
my hair bends too, usually on the older and more dryer parts of my hair. It tends to split just past the bend when it does, but not in the bend itself.

samanthajenalyn
August 31st, 2013, 03:30 PM
Sometimes its a mixture of both. I will try that, thanks. The way I'm wearing it probably has a lot to do with it, I guess my scrunchy is just bending the strands. I just hope that it won't make them weaker or cause them to break. I think I'm going to start using hair sticks more or buy some spin pins, & maybe that will stop it from happening.

samanthajenalyn
August 31st, 2013, 03:34 PM
Yes, it always happens to the older and dryer parts of my hair too. I haven't noticed a split yet, but that is probably just because I started wearing my hair up more, so its really just recently started happening.

goldenlady
September 3rd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Mine also tends to bend if I scrunch my hair wavy.. If comb it to get it straighter I never seems to have this problem! Don't know if you have this issue? Just going to have it straight until it's at a length I'm happy with... I wonder if this is a 2a (or near) issue?

samanthajenalyn
September 3rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
That could be it! i have noticed it before when i wore my hair wavy. but it wasn't very many of them. theres usually a lot more if i wear my hair up. I've stopped scrunching my hair too, i'm waiting until it gets longer to wear it wavy. it's at such an awkward length right now, the waves do not look very good lol.

goldenlady
September 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM
That could be it! i have noticed it before when i wore my hair wavy. but it wasn't very many of them. theres usually a lot more if i wear my hair up. I've stopped scrunching my hair too, i'm waiting until it gets longer to wear it wavy. it's at such an awkward length right now, the waves do not look very good lol.

I know exactly how you feel. I adore wavy hair but mine just seems to sit wrong atm (too many layers which need to be grown out pronto.)

YamaMaya
September 3rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
I get these nasty little bends, they're basically a type of "split end", and the best course of action is trim, and also oiling the ends to prevent damage.

samanthajenalyn
September 3rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
I know exactly how you feel. I adore wavy hair but mine just seems to sit wrong atm (too many layers which need to be grown out pronto.)
yes, my layers are my problem too! & they never seem to grow haha.

& thanks YamaMaya. I've recently started oiling my ends a couple times a week. I'll start cutting them when I see one.