PDA

View Full Version : help for growing out during postpartum shed fest?

ohdokey
August 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I haven't been on in a while. I am growing my hair out from SL to BSL (at least). I had my second baby six months ago, and although I am on vitamins and a healthy diet I am still losing a ton of hair with postpartum shedding (with my older child the shedding was over by now). My hair is virgin hair. Also, I haven't taken biotin since I am not sure about the safety of using it while nursing. Would appreciate any tips on how to manage this and also how long to expect it to continue. Thx!

Squiggy
August 31st, 2013, 08:06 PM
PP shedding can last for a long time, even sometimes for months. However, if you feel it's really out of control, especially compared to your first baby, I would call your doctor. There could be a hormonal cause for the shedding that the doctor can help with.

I remember seeing all that hair come out and really freaking out with my first baby, even though I had been warned it would happen! I think it took about a month for the shedding to stop completely. With my second child the shedding wasn't as severe, but it lasted for longer before returning to a normal shed rate. Maybe 2 or 2.5 months. Hang in there and call your doctor if you're really worried.

Panth
September 1st, 2013, 03:59 AM
A few months is, I think, a usual length of time. However, it varies from person to person and from pregnancy to pregnancy. It can also be affected by whether you breast feed or not. If you are particularly concerned or feel it is going on much longer than that, the best thing to do would be to see your doctor and have them check your nutritional status (vitamin levels - in particular anaemia from low iron or B12 can cause hair loss) and your hormonal status.

In the mean time, the best possible things that you can do are:
- try to be in the best health possible: eat well (supplements should not be used "just because" - supplements are often a vastly inferior and inefficient way of gaining vitamins and minerals. If you have a good diet they are unnecessary or can even be harmful, if you have a poor diet you are much better off improving your diet than trying to patch things. Of course, this doesn't apply for deficiencies caused by illness or supplementation prescribed by your doctor).
- exercise
- try to learn to minimise stress (difficult with small children!)
- practice good hair techniques (gentle washing as infrequently as possible, gentle detangling, protective updos, no heat styling, no bleaching, no dyes - or at least some of these)
- be patient - benign neglect is one of the most effective and stress-free ways of growing hair!

I would not try biotin if I were you. There is no evidence that it actually promotes hair growth in people who are not biotin-deficient, and deficiency is highly unlikely as more than sufficient quantities are produced by your gut bacteria. Particularly in the mega-doses that some people here recommend, it is poorly tolerated and quite probably harmful to the body - LHC members regularly report side effects including cystic acne and migranes. One user reported early stage kidney failure. You might want to read this post: http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

Firefox7275
September 1st, 2013, 05:09 AM
What Panth said about supplements, any regimen should be tailored to the individual considering their diet, physical activity levels, health issues, medication, age and gender. Nutrients work synergistically and in opposition, random pill popping can do more harm than good by worsening imbalances.

Busymom
September 1st, 2013, 11:45 AM
My post postpartum hair fall started when my baby was 4 months old now. She is almost 6 months now and I am sure that it is more severe in this pregnancy. MY thyroid and Hb levels are normal. Eating well and a multivitamin ( not a hair one) have helped. I am breastfeeding exclusively so I think the shedding will continue for some time. I have hip length hair and I have lost some thickness, but the general condition of the hair is better.. I havent had the need to do S&D frequently.. I wash with Indian herbs. I take fenugreek orally( for lactations) and use fenugreek paste on hair for about half an hour and wash my hair..seems to be helping..