PDA

View Full Version : U hemline and updos

juliaxena
August 31st, 2013, 10:54 AM
This is probably just me being impatient, but I have a 3.5 inch pony circumference and am nearing BSL, but I can't make a cinnabun without ends poking out everywhere. I grew dye/bleach out so this could also the culprit. But is it also possible a U hemline makes it harder to make updos than straight across hemlines? Any experiences?

jacqueline101
August 31st, 2013, 11:15 AM
I have a v hem line and I find braids poke out a bit and some buns but it's not impossible to do an up do.

jen5972
August 31st, 2013, 11:44 AM
A U hemline, especially if it is more dramatic, makes updos more challenging. I have a pretty dramatic U shape right now, and the hairs poke out a lot with updos. I am growing the U out to eliminate that. I don't want a straight hemline, just a more gentle U than what I have.

AliD
August 31st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Blunt hemlines make my braids difficult but I cant recall having problems with a U-hemline and updos

cooklaezo13
August 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM
I have a straight across hemline, same pony circumference as you, and I'm also nearing BSL. I can't make a cinnabun either. So I don't think it's a hemline shape problem, just a thick hair problem. Try making a disc bun, it works really well for me.

dulce
August 31st, 2013, 01:27 PM
I just had a very severe,sharp V hem recut in my hair this week[hubbie did great job!!],with the shortest ends just past collarbone graduating to the bottom of my V hem which is by my tailbone.I can still do buns and braids,french twist,figure 8 twist but can't do neat,very tight ones now, have to do looser ones with some curly tendrils loose and I found spin pins great for updos with multi layers. They hold so great with no weight.So you just adjust your styles to what hair cut you have.I wanted my curls to come out more and to wear my hair loose a lot and have some sort of style loose..Plus past waist my sides thin out too much and this style cut actually makes my hair look much thicker.So I'm happy.So yes,with a v or u hem you can do updos if your hair is very long.I had a v hem at midback a few years ago, and found that more difficult for updos.So,if you want a V or a U hem go for it,especially once you are past waist.

juliaxena
September 1st, 2013, 04:02 AM
Thanks for your input you guys, I hope some more people with U hems can comment?

stachelbeere
September 1st, 2013, 04:20 AM
I have a U-shaped hemline and am at APL but I found that my hair behaves better in updos when it's 'curled'.

So I make over-night headband curls, here's a tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLeSKaPaUOA), putting that in takes as long as braiding my hair. The curls sometimes come out wonky, not as great as in the video, but they are just there to create a much 'smoother' updo, where the ends are 'flicked' in a certain direction so they behave better. My favourite way of using them is in fishtail braids, it gets quiet voluminous :)