PDA

View Full Version : same type of thread, more specific question--temple hairs

mamaherrera
August 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
I know you ladies all check your hair out and know it inside and out like me, which is why I come to you all when I have these questions. I know we've talked before about those short hairs at temples, but I've got a new observation, just wondering if it's normal. I have the "C" shaped temples, where my temples go back into my forehead a bit. :joy: lately I've been massaging castor oil with essential oils into that area in hopes of thickening them up. And every time I do, I get these shed little hairs (thick and dark) but only .75 inches long and it's not like I'm rubbing my hairs or combing them, I'm just moving the scalp as I get the oil in, so it's not like it's manipulation that is making them come out. They've got the white bulb and all. Just wondering if it's normal to have little hairs right on the edges of temples that shed out that small. It's freaking me out that I've got some miniaturization or something going on, but hopefully it's normal to have those little hairs with such little terminal life???? Wondering if others have these little baby hairs. Really baby!! 1 month old is all!!

Panth
August 31st, 2013, 02:41 AM
I know you ladies all check your hair out and know it inside and out like me, which is why I come to you all when I have these questions. I know we've talked before about those short hairs at temples, but I've got a new observation, just wondering if it's normal. I have the "C" shaped temples, where my temples go back into my forehead a bit. :joy: lately I've been massaging castor oil with essential oils into that area in hopes of thickening them up. And every time I do, I get these shed little hairs (thick and dark) but only .75 inches long and it's not like I'm rubbing my hairs or combing them, I'm just moving the scalp as I get the oil in, so it's not like it's manipulation that is making them come out. They've got the white bulb and all. Just wondering if it's normal to have little hairs right on the edges of temples that shed out that small. It's freaking me out that I've got some miniaturization or something going on, but hopefully it's normal to have those little hairs with such little terminal life???? Wondering if others have these little baby hairs. Really baby!! 1 month old is all!!

There are two options:
1) they are "normal" head hair and something in your routine is causing them to break off / rub off / keep that short or you have been doing something bad, have stopped it and they are re-growth which you've pulled out with over-vigorous massage.
2) MUCH MORE LIKELY: they are little short hairs that are on the boundary of head hair (terminal hair) and the super-tiny, super-fine vellus hair that covers the rest of your body (including your face).

Lots of people's head hair does not just transition in a neat boundary from terminal hair to vellus hair. Instead, they have a section near the hair line (all the way around the head) where there are terminal hair follicles that naturally produce shorter hairs. Sometimes those hairs are also finer. This is most commonly noticed at the nape and near the ears (wispies), but depending on the individual may be prominent in other places too (e.g. temples). Their length and fineness also varies between people - some people find these shorter hairs are about 2-6" long, others more rarely have a "layer" effect where they are about 9" long. Yours seem to be on the shorter scale of things.

Another thing is that because these hairs are often finer than the rest of the hair on your head, they are also more easily damaged. So, their length can be further reduced by damage that would not normally be seen in the rest of the hair. One way to combat this is a sleep cap/stocking, which will protect those delicate temple/near-ear/nape shorties and help them attain their maximum length. This can be helpful as once the damage is reduced they may just be long enough to coax into an updo, reducing the frizzy, fuzzy, wispy look, which some people hate.

mamaherrera
September 1st, 2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I'm gonna hope that's what it is. I did have my husband check and he said I have those short/thinner hairs (not as thick as terminal, but not vellus) all around my hair line, and yeah some only are .5 inches long. I also notice, since I have a hairline that goes in, those hairs gradually get longer, but even the ones on my sides that goes down to my ears, only get to be like you said, 6 inches long, until I get a bit farther in to my head . About to my ear. so it must be a staircase type effect. That's what I'm gonna hope it is. Thanks so much