PDA

View Full Version : For those who co wash?

glitterbug
August 30th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Did you know that cetearyl alcohol is high comedogenic ingredient in a conditioner? Its also usually the second most highest ingredient in the conditioner.

Do you use conditioners with this in it? I couldnt seem to find one without and the bad thing is its comdogenic! What to do?!

:eek:

CurlMonster
August 30th, 2013, 04:37 PM
It's probably better than all the strong chemicals in things like hair dye, I think I'm doing better than most people in way of not putting strong chemicals on my scalp.

glitterbug
August 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I am going to co wash so I wont be using any harsh chemicals.

peepopowitz
August 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM
It really depends on your skin type. I have pretty resilient skin. Sure, I'll get the occasional hormonal flare up, PMS-style, but very few products actually break me out. Comedogenic conditioners don't phase me, but for someone with truly sensitive skin that really reacts to different substances, it could be a concern. Are you experiencing break outs or irritation, or are you just more disturbed that such a bummer of an ingredient is so prevalent in commonly used items?

CurlyCap
August 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM
This is very interesting!

I've been experimenting for a month with using different organic lotions as my leave-in instead of conditioner, and I've noticed that my acne has definitely decreased.

I've kept up the experiment, despite my hair not looking as good because I've been so surprised by the decrease in acne!

faellen
August 30th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I've read that it's comodogenic when combined with Ceteareth 20.

Personally I've never broken out when using it, even my facial moisturiser contains it. And I have combination skin that can be prone to oiliness and blemishes with certain products. So I guess YMMV! :)

ravenreed
August 30th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Yes, my conditioner lists it as the second ingredient, and no, it doesn't block my pores. In fact, if I use the wrong products my scalp flips out and I get huge painful cysts all over, so I have to be pretty careful what I use. However, silicone products do make me breakout.

MiaBeth
August 30th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Hmm, perhaps that's why when I use conditioner on my scalp it gets red and itchy?

jeanniet
August 31st, 2013, 01:19 AM
It doesn't bother my scalp so I don't worry about it. In fact, my scalp is much, much better since I started CO.

minxe
August 31st, 2013, 02:19 AM
I have really sensitive and clog prone skin, and both of the conditioners I use have it. It's fine (for me). You just have to rinse well...

fairview
August 31st, 2013, 06:45 AM
It is also organic in origin considered to be a surfactant, and has emollient properties to formulations due to its absorption and retention in the epidermis where it lubricates and softens the skin. Pretty benign ingredient when compared to some of the choices.

In2wishin
August 31st, 2013, 07:13 AM
Hmm, perhaps that's why when I use conditioner on my scalp it gets red and itchy?

More likely it is another ingredient (preservatives are often the culprit). Red and itchy generally means a reaction rather than clogged pores.

Did you know that cetearyl alcohol is high comedogenic ingredient in a conditioner? Its also usually the second most highest ingredient in the conditioner.

Do you use conditioners with this in it? I couldnt seem to find one without and the bad thing is its comdogenic! What to do?!

I make my own and use BTMS Conditioning Emulsifier which is a blend of BTMS and Cetearyl Alcohol and is considered the mildest conditioning agent available. There is another called BTMS-50 which is a blend of BTMS, Cetyl Alcohol, and Butylene Glycol which many like. My other ingredients are Avocado oil, Panthenol, and Shea Butter. I don't use preservatives, just make enough to last me about a month at a time.

Maybe the comedogenic rating of cetyl alcohol will be lower?

massivecnqstdr
August 31st, 2013, 10:08 AM
I have clogged pores all over my scalp and hairline area whether I S&C or CO. I have no idea why, but I'm tempted to avoid this ingredient for awhile to see if it helps. If I search "comedogenic ingredients," though, I'm confronted with a massive list that I could never totally avoid in hair care unless I went SO or WO. Hrm..

Firefox7275
August 31st, 2013, 07:42 PM

So is oleic acid in olive and other oils and many other ingredients, in susceptible individuals. I wash my hair upside down so my hair products don't contact much of my body.
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1989/cc040n06/p00321-p00333.pdf

Roscata
August 31st, 2013, 09:29 PM
I used to get a lot of breakouts on my back and chest from the CO washing. I did realize the cause for it and have no intention of changing my conditioner, so now I do two things to prevent the breakouts:
- I wash my hair while bend over at the waist so the conditioner doesn't run down my back when I rinse it out or apply it
- I wash my body after I rinse out the last conditioner (I CO twice, and after the last rinse I put my hair up then wash my body) that way I can remove all the conditioner off my skin before getting out of the shower
I hope you find something that works for you. :) Good luck.