PDA

View Full Version : The thing about wearing it loose

W2
August 30th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I lige having long hair. I like being able to make alle sorts of does.
I like the feeling of my hair down the back.
But ... looking at myself in the mirror ... I think I look like an old hag or witch.

Is it just something to overcome?

Or is wearing it up just the way?

Stray_mind
August 30th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Well, judging from your picture, you look very pretty to me and definitely DON't look like an "old hag". Try do some half-ups. Your hair will still be partially loose then and maybe this will suit you better if you think all of your loose hair doesn't.

henné
August 30th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I also find myself looking so much better with my hair down than with it up. But the possibility of making such a vast variety of up-dos overweighs that because most of the time, I have to wear my hair up anyway - work, taking care of my child, cooking, etc. I'd put my hair up under those circumstances even if my hair were shorter. I find it helpful to have nice layers framing my face ...

LadyCelestina
August 30th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Could it be that you are just feeling down about yourself in general? :(
You def. don't look old from your avi.I have trouble imagining how 1b hair could make you look like a witch.I call my curly hair "witchy" when uber frizzy and I don't mean it as a bad thing.

tiny squirrel
August 30th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I agree with everyone else, you look lovely!!

We are basically hair type twins and I find that the weight of my hair pulls the volume out of the canopy the longer it gets. I start feeling like you say, just like I have a lot of long blah hanging off my head. It's not silky straight and it's not curly either. This is especially true when I don't blow dry, which I hardly ever do. Have you tried giant magnetic rollers? There is no way I'll take the time to do this every morning, but for when I do wear it down it gives me that volume and life I want. lifting and brushing the top layer in the same way/ direction you would put in the rollers with a large boar bristle round brush also helps fluff it up. You could also try sleeping in pin curls over night. You will get serious bounce that way.

http://pinterest.com/pin/199776933443452117/

which.chick
August 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Your hair looks lovely in your profile pic -- it totally does not suggest 'hag' to me. I second the suggestion for half-up do's, they're worth a try, but honestly I cannot see anything wrong with your profile pic. If wearing your hair down makes you happy (having it brush your back), then I say go for it... and avoid the critical mirror gaze. :)

alexis917
August 30th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I think you and your hair are beautiful!
Don't be so critical of yourself!

Magalo
August 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM
What's so wrong with looking like a witch? :p

alexis917
August 30th, 2013, 02:48 PM
What's so wrong with looking like a witch? :p

Second this, too.
Hermione Granger is gorgeous. :) hahaha.

Amahaitz
August 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I think you are beautiful and your hair is beautiful. It looks lovely down in your picture. I sometimes feel the same way, though--like I need to "do something" with my hair or I will look old. Part of this is that as I was growing up, my mother actually told me that I should never wear my hair down/around my face because it made me look like a witch and/or a "wolf-woman." I never had very long hair because of that, and I almost always wore my hair in a braid or a bun. She still tells me I need to cut it or get it out of my face every time I see her, and now that I'm older, she also likes to mention that I'm too old for long hair and that it makes me look old and haggard. I love my hair and am planning to let it grow as long as possible, but every time I wear it down I do have to tell myself I don't look bad or old, or that even if I do, who cares?! I still want my long hair :D

goldcopperbrown
August 30th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Haha, it's probably all in your mind! You're really pretty and I doubt you could look like that if you tried :) Maybe a light dusting is in order, if you feel like the ends are too scraggly?

Beborani
August 30th, 2013, 06:12 PM
There seems to be negative connotation attached to older women with loose long hair in all cultures. I am happily defying both of mine I guess (Indian and western) by wearing it down and am on the wrong side of 40!

allycat
August 30th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Beborani, that is so true! I guess you are supposed to only have a very practical, utilitarian look as you get older. Feh!

I'm 48 also and doing the same as you! ;)

browneyedsusan
August 30th, 2013, 08:20 PM
You are such a pretty girl!
I wear my hair down sometimes, at 47. Too bad, so sad. I put my 1b/c hair in a sock bun or sleep in pin curls if I'm going somewhere special, but I like it straight too! (My latest siggy is second day pincurls, the ends are still flipped up.)

W2
August 31st, 2013, 12:56 AM
Thanks for all your kind remarks.

In my profile picture, it was blow dryed a bit - my hair is normally rather poofy. Not curly, not straight. And not even braid waves holds in it! The picture is almost a year old.

I'm normally quite happy about my self - I'm 42, have 4 kids and my body shows, but all in all it's not bad.

Although ... I have been out of the jobmarket for more than 2 years and are now in something we in Denmark call "Activation" where you are in firm doing all sorts of things, so "they" can see, that you are not just some lazy person, that gets their wellfare without being worthy!
And I work hard there - and I rather like it - but it's just the feel of being some charity-thing.

After "work" yesterday, I went to my mother - my hair out of the work-braid - and she commented on it - negatively!

I have never really worn it loose - because of the structure, it just takes a lot of work to get it to look less poofy - and I hate using that much time on straightening og blowdrying.

And half up's - I always does something with it, that pulls ...

Nellon
August 31st, 2013, 03:21 AM
Witches are awesome! Rock it! ;) No, sorry, seriously: you look gorgeous! I would be glad to look like u in a few years! Lift your head and be proud! :)

Hairitic
August 31st, 2013, 09:02 AM
Heh, heh; I'm 60 and often wear my nearly TB length hair loose or ponied when I go out. I like the feel of my hair on my back as well. I also think my scalp needs a break from having my hair piled up in a bun on it. If I look like a witch, so be it, lol :p Just let someone tell me I should cut it or wear it differently :guns: After all, it's MY hair. I should be able to wear it the way I want to. Besides, long hair is sort of a family tradition. My Grandmother wore long hair in a bun till she died and my Aunt Evelyn is still wearing her long hair in a bun. Someone has to keep up the gig! ;)

spidermom
August 31st, 2013, 09:31 AM
I think most women are dismayed by seeing those signs of aging creeping up on us (or rushing up on us like an avalanche, as it often seems to me). I find that when I take the time to do a bit of makeup and style my hair (rather than rolling it into a ball and stabbing it to the back of my head with a fork), I feel better. Adding bangs helped me feel better, too - not so severe, plus they give me styling options: across my forehead, to the side, up and swooped over, giving a bit of height, etc. I have a small flat iron to use for my bangs. I intend to keep them, so no worry about heat damage.

rosey4exclaim
August 31st, 2013, 09:33 AM
I don't know what to tell you. I like looking like a witch. lol

RubyTuesday
August 31st, 2013, 10:00 AM
I think you are looking VERY good for 42. Not at all witchy. I agree that very long hair CAN sometimes look witchy but you are not rocking the witchy look at all. I think as you age you do wonder what looks you can still pull off. I am going through that at the moment with clothes. Things I used to buy I no longer think I can get away with.

However, with hair, I am of the opinion that often women in their 40's and 50's with that flicky shoulder length or bob length hair immediately categorise themselves as being a certain age because most women of that age cut their hair shorter. I think longer hair can actually make you look more modern and avoids the cliche. However, it does depend on the woman and how she dresses and presents herself in general. From your photo I think you look good :)

jacqueline101
August 31st, 2013, 11:21 AM
I'd try some half up dos.

jen5972
August 31st, 2013, 11:40 AM
I think you look great, by your photo! I know what you are saying though. I sometimes feel like that when I wear my hair down, if it is wild that day and untamed. I am 41, so I am close in age to you. I do have bangs, which breaks up the wildness for me a little. Since hitting 40, I have been trying to a little more with my hair, like doing more curls with it (I put wrap, snap and go rollers in at night), which makes it look pretty instead of wild. It has helped.

jen5972
August 31st, 2013, 11:42 AM
I forgot to ask something. You said that you have trouble doing half ups because they pull. Are you trying different hair clips to see if it is the clips that are the problem? Usually half ups are very comfortable for people.

AnnaB
August 31st, 2013, 01:56 PM
I understand what you mean...I love the feeling of my hair down but I hate how I look in the mirror...I'm 24 and I also think I look like a witch with my hair down. My other half LOVES me with my hair down, and I know he is telling the truth when he says I look pretty both ways but I just can't over come that horrible feeling.

nobeltonya
August 31st, 2013, 02:20 PM
I think you're psyching yourself out.. do you just turn and look at it or do you take another hand mirror and look at it fully from the back? b/c I noticed a big difference in how it looks just from the side or turning and actually looking through another mirror. Hope that helps! :D :disco:

W2
August 31st, 2013, 03:35 PM
Well, today I went to lunch at my father's. He absolutely hate it, when I bun it. Not easy to please the crowd!:rolleyes:
So I did an old do ... a lase-braid of the front part and down the back. The rest loose.
Looked quite nice ... and the only comments came from my sister, who can't understand how I can live with that long hair!

So all in all, I had an alright hair-day ;)

W2
August 31st, 2013, 03:39 PM
And came home and is now living with my long hair in a very high oiled bun ready for bed .... I don't even know how my sister would react, if I told her, that not only am I not washing, drying and straightening my hair every single day ... I put OIL in it!!!:D

Nae
August 31st, 2013, 06:38 PM
I think I have the same problem. I just don't like it down unless I have "done" something with it. It always feels wild and scruffy and just unkempt. (Now I know it isn't, I take darn good care of this stuff but regardless, the feeling is there.) Sometimes I do some heat free curls or I will jazz it up with some Caruso curls. If it isn't curled/braided/done in some way it just isn't down. I don't know if I will get over that in time..... Maybe.