PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hair oil is best for hair growth and moisture ? Coconut oil ?

stephy190
August 30th, 2013, 05:11 AM
I've been using olive oil once or twice a week for hot oil treatments.. just ordered coconut oil ! Is it any good for growth ?

Thanks everyone xxxx:)

NuclearApple
August 30th, 2013, 05:28 AM
coconut is one of the best oils for hair,it's very moisturizing and nutritious,with a good massage it will help your hair very very much.
olive oil is good too,i use it twice a week and i find very well with it.
happy growth :)

Firefox7275
August 30th, 2013, 05:33 AM
No oil is proven to speed growth tho they act of scalp massage may be beneficial in some populations, nor do they moisturise (= add or increase water) since oil and water do not mix they are occlusive/ sealants/ anti humectants.

You can either use penetrating oils like coconut oil and olive oil to increase elasticity and reduce porosity so reduce the amount of water hair absorbs, or any oil can be used as a sealer. Hair doesn't necessarily need more water unless it is genuinely dehydrated (not the same as feeling 'dry'), too much water exposure or absorption can be damaging - it temporarily breaks bonds weakening the protein structure, can swell and stress the cuticle, flush out structural proteins. This is known as hygral fatigue.

Allychan
August 30th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I am a firm believer that coconut oil's benefits far out weigh those of any other oil. Science backs up the claim that it penetrates better than all other oils. It is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. Therefore it can aid with combating scalp issues. Head lice hate it too. It stops friction and like Fire Fox said stops hygral fatigue which is a major contributor of 'the frizzies' or frizz. Eating it aids with digestion which means a better utilisation of nutrients. A combination of all these benefits means healthier hair that needs cutting less often. ie Longer, healthier hair

Ashenputtel
August 30th, 2013, 06:07 AM
There is 3 ways to bring or retain moisture

1. Seal moisture in (as with a serum or an non penatring oil like mineral oil)

2. Attract moisture with a humectanrt (aloe, honey, glycerin among others)

3. Do a mix of the two.

Oils are emollients not humectant, they can smooth out but they won't bring moisture to your hair. Coconut oil is in fact the best penatrating oil. If you want to use a humectant be carefull qith your ratio too much can do the opposite effect.

sarahthegemini
August 30th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Oils don't moisturise. They seal moisture that's already in the hair shaft. I don't think any oil helps speed up growth either but scalp massages help.

RavennaNight
August 30th, 2013, 06:40 AM
I don't think anything besides good nutrition can impact hair growth. That said, I love coconut and argan oil. I usually combine the two and massage into my hair. I love argan oil, but it is so expensive, so I use it very sparingly.

meteor
August 30th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Oils are occlusive/anti-humectant. So if by the most "moisturizing" oil you mean the one that keeps water from evaporating from hair the most, then it's probably mineral oil (baby oil), as it creates a good protective film on hair.

There hasn't been enough research to show that any oils are increasing growth. Some oils are stimulating to skin and scalp, which ultimately *could* speed up growth, but research is needed. Mustard oil, peppermint EO, thyme EO, basil EO, and some other essential oils have stimulating properties (increasing blood circulation). If you apply oils with a good head massage, your chances are probably higher.
Frankly, time, good diet, and patience are probably way more effective. ;)

AmyBeth
August 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
I experiment with all kinds of oils, avocado oil has become one of my favorites, it makes my hair so silky. The only oil I've ever heard of that promotes growth is castor oil, but I have heard tales that it promotes thickness, not necessarily length. To maximize the speediest growth, I swear by daily scalp massage. Increased blood flow to your hair follicles will do more for your growth than any topical oiling. No need to make a second career of it, I just do about 2-3 minutes until I feel the tingle of fresh circulation to my scalp.

shutterpillar
August 30th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I used to use coconut oil for over a year with no problems, and just these past few months it has begun to make my hair crunchy feeling at the ends so I stopped using it. I no longer use oils and instead I will do a pre-wash moisture treatment with conditioner. I just put the conditioner on my dry hair, cover with a shower cap to trap heat, let it sit for about an hour, then rinse it out. I also apply a leave-in conditioner on wet hair after washes to try to keep my waves in line.

I'll second RavennaNight and say that good nutrition is essential to growing healthy hair. Fish oil supplements have helped as well - not only for my hair, but also for my skin.

höpönasu
August 31st, 2013, 11:04 AM
I use castor and olive oil (will try coconut oil too at least!) because my scalp likes oils and the massage when I'm applying them.
:cloud9:

jacqueline101
August 31st, 2013, 11:19 AM
I liked coconut oil and my hair does too. I also found Monistat helps with growth but nutrients are far more important.

Beborani
August 31st, 2013, 12:04 PM
What you are really asking is what kind of oil reduces friction and adds slip. The answer--oil seems to be a personal preference--from mineral to coconut--any and all may give some desired effect.