PDA

View Full Version : Satin pillow case/sleep caps...

bunnylake
August 29th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Does it make a significant difference for your hair to sleep on a satin pillow case and/or in a satin bonnet or cap?

jacqueline101
August 29th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I have a satin cap right now with the heat I'm doing a mesh cap.

Beav83
August 29th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I didn't notice a difference right away but my significant other did when I went back to satin pillowcases.

kganihanova
August 29th, 2013, 08:41 PM
It helps preserve the style and alleviate frizz to an extent. I love my sleep cap :)

Yozhik
August 29th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I attribute my silk sleep cap and satin pillowcase to the vastly improved condition, health, and lack of split ends I have had since joining LHC. Like everything, though, I'm sure it's a cumulative effect, and that my hair's current health is also related to gentler handling and brushing techniques.

ejking2
August 29th, 2013, 09:38 PM
When I sleep, I will remove any cap from my head without fail. I use a satin pillowcase, and I do feel like it's made a difference in my hair. It reduces tangles and friction (mechanical damage). This is very important for my fine hairs.

Crumpet
August 29th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I have a silk and a satin pillow case. They help the hair AND the skin (preventing wrinkles, clogged pores etc). I think they're worth it.

battles
August 29th, 2013, 10:00 PM
I never noticed much difference from the pillowcase, but a huge difference from the sleep cap. I'd usually wake up with my hair looking almost exactly like it did when I fell asleep when I use it, just need a very small amount of detangling.

I wish I'd saved the money and bought a few extra sleep caps instead, the band on mine is wearing out a little.

kme81
August 29th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Satin caps and pillowcases never worked to me, keep my hair in a bun at the very top of my head when I sleep, that's the only way I can keep it from getting too tangly!

I do use caps when I wear foam curlers or want to preserve a style, so they can be useful for me...just not for everyday use. :)

Katrine
August 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM
I really appreciate the difference satin pillowcases made in the condition of my hair. I loved the idea of using a sleep cap until I tried one. It's satin and makes my head feel so warm. Maybe its partly because it's summer and it'll be better in Fall/Winter. I hope so, it's such a pretty one and I don't want it to go to waste. (although DH did laugh the first time he saw me in it)

So, for now it's still the trusty hair net.

Crumpet
August 29th, 2013, 10:43 PM
PS - do you all think sleep caps are better than the pillow cases? I've thought about getting one, but since I have the pillow cases I don't really think its high on my priority list. Should I change my mind?

woolyleprechaun
August 30th, 2013, 01:14 AM
Well, my hair just loves to tangle. It's very curly and frizzy underneath, and that tends to snarl with the top layers. I have a silk pillowcase, and I sleep with my hair in a spin pin top knot, covered with a Buff (Yes- I look like the lovechild of a Conehead and a Smurf).
The pillowcase alone probably wouldn't do too much for me and my problem hair. However, it stops my Buff coming off in the night and my bun coming out. Also, it's a bit of added protection for when my headgear comes off, or when, ahem, engaging in nocturnal activities other than sleep (where my Conehead look would not be appreciated).
It's very rare I get splits, despite my tangle prone hair. I do attribute this to protective styles in the day, and turbo- protective styles at night. I used to sleep with a braid until I got near waist and the braid became a whip-like nuisance.

AmyBeth
August 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
I use both a satin cap and a satin pillowcase, in case the cap slides off. Of course it makes a difference. I sleep for 7-8 hours a night and that's a lot of potential tangling and friction I prevent over the course of 365 nights per year.

sarahthegemini
August 30th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I think it makes a difference, particularly if your hair is tangle prone. I've been using one for a few weeks now, even though my hair isn't prone to knotting. I feel like it prevents a lot of friction and mechanical damage. I move around A LOT in my sleep. I also make noises in my sleep but that's another issue :p

shutterpillar
August 30th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Sleeping with a satin sleep cap has absolutely made a HUGE difference on my hair. I toss and turn a lot, and I had no idea how much of my hair I was rubbing away at my temples. Since i've begun using a sleep cap at the beginning of this year, I have about 5 inches of new growth around my temples - hair I didn't even know I had because I kept rubbing it away. My hair also used to get caught under my shoulders, resulting in my pulling it out or breaking it off unknowingly while I tossed around. The sleep cap has helped me to attain a thicker hemline.

luster
August 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I've been sleeping with a satin bonnet on for 3 years. It makes a huge difference! My hair is super curly and when I don't sleep with the bonnet i wake up with extreme tangles and frizz. I also hate having hair in my face when I sleep. My acne has gotten much better since I've been using the bonnet.

luxepiggy
August 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Yes! Sleeping on a silk charmeuse pillow cover has made a hugely noticeable difference in my hair's condition over time.

faellen
August 30th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I just got myself a sleep cap (longer in the back so lots of space for loose hair) as I wanted to keep my hair off my face during the night when I don't want to braid (because I don't always want braid waves the next day). It's good for preventing tangles :)

RavennaNight
August 30th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Hmm. I was just checking around and it looks like Walmart has satin pillowcases for inexpensive prices... I'm gonna have to look into doing this. I wonder if it will decrease my splits.

jeanniet
August 30th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Absolutely, but I think silk is the best of all (as opposed to polyester satin). I use both a silk sleep cap and silk pillowcase. My hair would be a total disaster without at least one of them.

Indigo Girl
August 30th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Definitely. I have a satin pillowcase and a satin sleep cap that I use every night. Between the two of those, a light oiling before bed, and always sleeping in a braid, my hair is in much better condition than it was before.

Vanilla
August 30th, 2013, 09:08 PM
I find I have way less tangles in the morning if I wear my sleep cap at night. The silk pillowcase helped a little, but not as much as the satin sleep cap.

Crumpet
August 30th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Okay. I buckled. I bought a satin sleep cap to wear in addition to using my special pillow cases. I guess I am truly in deep at this point!

Yozhik
August 31st, 2013, 01:33 PM
Mwahaha! Another one to join the horde! :demon:

Yeah, Crumpet, I know how you feel - I held out for a long time, because I thought I'd look too ridiculous, but the simple fact of the matter is I think these two items (bonnet/pillowcase) are attributable to nearly all of my hair improvements. Let's face it - 6-8 hours a day (or should I say night? :p) is a lot of wear and tear...

Emanuelle
August 31st, 2013, 01:37 PM
I did... I have less tangles ever since I sleep on a silk pillowcase.

höpönasu
August 31st, 2013, 01:42 PM
I should buy satin pillow case. I sleep with my hair loose so.

battles
August 31st, 2013, 01:44 PM
You can grab an inexpensive sleep bonnet in the ethnic haircare section at Walmart, for those with Walmart near you. That's what I use and it works quite well for my little head.

Crumpet
August 31st, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mwahaha! Another one to join the horde! :demon:

Yeah, Crumpet, I know how you feel - I held out for a long time, because I thought I'd look too ridiculous, but the simple fact of the matter is I think these two items (bonnet/pillowcase) are attributable to nearly all of my hair improvements. Let's face it - 6-8 hours a day (or should I say night? :p) is a lot of wear and tear...

Yep! I felt like a bit of a nutter when I bought my pillow cases...now I'm a full-on hair looney! As a finey, I worry about hair breakage more than others so I guess it was inevitable.

RavennaNight
August 31st, 2013, 04:40 PM
You can grab an inexpensive sleep bonnet in the ethnic haircare section at Walmart, for those with Walmart near you. That's what I use and it works quite well for my little head.

Yup! That's where I just got my satin pillow case! I'll start with that, see how my hair does, and go from there. They have a wide array of sleep caps, one that is long to hold longer hair! I might go back to get that one...

rosey4exclaim
August 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
A question for those of you ladies/gentlemen who use a sleeping cap: How do you put your hair in it? Do you braid it or just tuck it all in loose? It seems like a bunched up braid would be uncomfortable to sleep on, but loose hair would fall out more easily.

Violeta
August 31st, 2013, 09:33 PM
okay, you guys got me all interested in these caps. Whats a good place to buy one, and what style? TIA :)

Yozhik
August 31st, 2013, 10:15 PM
Rosey, I twist my hair up into a loose top bun (unsecured) and shove the bonnet on. I've also used sleeping bonnets to successfully preserve crownbraids for the next day. ^_^

Violeta, I got mine off of the swap board, but you can buy cheaper ones at Walmart or more expensive silk ones online.

AmyBeth
August 31st, 2013, 11:07 PM
I used to use a cheap-o from WalMart, but they never stayed on. I invested in a Silky Cocoon from Etsy and am very happy with it. It stays on and I think it's a little easier on my hairline than the one from WalMart, which had elastic.
okay, you guys got me all interested in these caps. Whats a good place to buy one, and what style? TIA :)

CurlyCap
September 1st, 2013, 12:44 AM
Nope!

I slide right off a silk pillowcase and so end up tossing and turning more to get back into position.

With a cap, I usually rip it off while I sleep....which doesn't matter because I find that the cap deflates my curls. I think the cap is bad for my hair for all the reasons it's fantastic for straighter hair. The heat that builds up in the cap almost sets my hair into a wave instead of it's usual curl. No thanks!

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 10th, 2015, 08:19 AM
I think I am going to go out and by a silk pillowcase as well. I have heard it is also good for your skin. I doesn't leave the creases on your face when you wake up in the morning that the cotton pillowcases typically leave.

missrandie
July 10th, 2015, 08:30 AM
I have a cervical pillow... the kind with a dent in the middle for your head and height on the outside to support your neck.. so my silk pillowcase does not make me slide around. Neither does my silk sleep cap. Or my silk eye mask. Or my silk night shirt or silk nightgown.

Did I mention I love silk? Lol

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 10th, 2015, 08:43 AM
Ugh, oh my gosh. Silk is amazing. I want silk pajamas lol.

missrandie
July 10th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Lol I will have a set if my butt and hips finally shrink lol... otherwise, I can only wear the top :(

Lesa Marie
July 10th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Thanks I was curious about this!