PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How often do you get haircuts ? And how much do you get off ?

stephy190
August 29th, 2013, 08:14 AM
What would you recommend ?
Also do you like going to the hairdresser or hate it ?
Thanks everyonee :)
xxx

Zindell
August 29th, 2013, 09:41 AM
I trim my own hair about every third month or so if the ends look dry or damaged. Still growing out so will keep doing that until I reach my goal length, then trim now and then to keep it at that length.

My recommendation is to not trim it too often or too much if you are growing it out but still get rid of damaged ends.

I stopped going to hairdressers since they always cut too much and didn't listen to my wishes. (For example cut in layers even when I told them not to). And yeah, I've tried loads of different hairdresses through my life. Last time I visited a hairdresser was about 8 years ago.

spidermom
August 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
I go to the hair stylist - my daughter's best friend - approximately every 8 weeks. DD and I make a date of it - get our hair done and then have lunch. Sometimes I only have the stylist trim my bangs. For the past year, I had 1 inch trimmed off each visit because I was trying to get rid of split ends. I gave up on that and haven't had a trim since March or April, but I'm due for one, which I will get (about 1/2 inch) this coming Saturday.

Beborani
August 29th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I am aiming for about 1/4-1/2 of an inch every 4-5 months. I have found a hairdresser who seems to understand my point of view. I have been shopping around-- if someone tells me I should trim every two months I nod and dont return--quite often it is a throwaway comment, something they seem to have been taught to repeat, not always convincingly. No one takes off more than I ask even when I used to to ask for more to be taken off! I am a little intimidating I'm told. My hair is shaped for curling and there is no way I could cut it myself to achieve this look without training.

sarahthegemini
August 29th, 2013, 10:05 AM
For my last two trims, I had approx 3 inches cut off each time (from bsl to apl, then apl to sl) That was mainly to get rid of straggly ratty ends. Im not trimming my hair anytime soon, I have no split ends so I'm going to go as long as poss w/o trimming.

alexis917
August 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I just had a chop earlier this month, but I do the less-drastic trims (2 inches or less) myself.
I'm considering buying the U-shaped CreaClip to see if it gives me more even ends.

Stray_mind
August 29th, 2013, 10:14 AM
My mother trimmed my hair two weaks ago it was about 1/6 of an inch. Now i challenged myself for "no trimming/cutting for 6 months". I want to see actual changes in my hair lenght.

~honeyflower~
August 29th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I usually do it at home using Faye's trimming tutorial every four months however,I might go longer like six months.

juliaxena
August 29th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Well, the past few trims were frequent and big. Around two inches, because I was growing out dye. Then I had a U hemline cut in so that was rather big on some parts as well. On Saturday I had a post vacation trim. Now I will just try to have half inch trims every 4 months.

nobeltonya
August 29th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I stopped going to the salon once I seriously decided to grow my hair out.. they'd always take off more than I asked, and the styles never turned out right.. now I self-trim by dusting the ends every 2 weeks. The biggest "chop" I had was maybe a month ago when I cut off about 1 inch. :O. Haven't cut off significant length in at least 7 years. :disco:

Leeloo
August 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
What would you recommend ?
Also do you like going to the hairdresser or hate it ?
Thanks everyonee :)
xxx

I used to get haircuts every couple of months (“as recommended”) before LHC. I used to ask for an inch off and got anywhere from 1 to 3-4 inches cut off depending on the hairdressers’ idea of an inch. Now I’m trying out the no trims, just S&D and self trimming later on. Not knowing how much they are going to cut off is quite stressful.

HintOfMint
August 29th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I personally LOVE going to the stylist. The whole experience is very relaxing to me, from the wash and condition, to the almost meditative snipping. Then there's the treat of blowdrying which I only allow on myself a few times a year.

I try to go only twice a year although after a harsh winter, I find myself going a little sooner than I expect. I generally get an inch or two inches taken off, but for the past year or so I've been maintaining, so I wasn't hugely concerned with gaining length.

lazuliblue
August 29th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I haven't had a haircut for a year now, and still haven't got any split ends. I'm planning on getting maybe half an inch off in the new year. I'd just say check you hair, and if it looks like the ends are getting damaged, go get a trim!

browneyedsusan
August 29th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I really like my hairdresser, because she listens and does what I ask. (If anyone is in the Indianapolis area, I'd highly recommend her. She works out of a little barber shop, but knows her stuff.) I go when I feel like it. Last time was February, and I don't feel like it yet! :)

jacqueline101
August 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I've started self trimming my hair.

Night_Kitten
August 29th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I started self-trimming after the stylist I used to go to butchered the hemline (she cut a crooked U shape, with one side about 2'' shorter than the other... shudder:)
My trimming plan is about 1/2''-1'' off twice a year (in the hopes of thickening the hemline), though so far I haven't managed to stick to it and it's been more of ~3'' trim/cut every year and a half or so...

As every hair reacts differently - some is very resilient while other can get damaged if looked at the wrong way - your trimming schedule is something you need to work out based on your experience with your hair and on what you want to achieve... If you want to thicken the hemline trim small amounts more often or do larger trims further apart (depending on your personal preference), if you want to keep the ends split-free trim as needed when you see the ends start splitting more or become damaged, if you want to maintain a certain hemline shape, trim a bit when the shape starts to look "fuzzy"... There isn't a "one fits all" recommendation really, all depends on your goals and your hair :)

raingirl
August 29th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Right now I'm maintaining BSL until my henna is grown out so just getting a cheapo salon to cut of an inch every 2-3 months. But I'm considering a larger chop now...not sure...

NuclearApple
August 29th, 2013, 02:21 PM
I go a maximum of two times a year at the hair saloon,i trim my hai when the ends looks damaged but i dont have a real cut routine,my hair dresser is kind but bdushes horfibily,I dont complaine though.

PamelaViktoria
August 29th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I haven't cut my hair since May. But I cut it myself, and usually take off 1/2". When I get to my goal length, not sure what that is yet, I will start chopping. I'm looking forward to a straightish hemline:)

starlamelissa
August 29th, 2013, 03:25 PM
I get my bangs cut every 4 weeks, my length and layers every 3 months. I enjoy my salon, it's a one woman operation and my whole family sees her for a very reasonable (cheap!) price.

akuamoonmaui
August 29th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I cut my hair about every 2 1/2 to 3 months. By me. Only me. Did I mention I'm the only one who cuts my hair? Yeah. Me. I trim anywhere from 1/2 to 1 inch. Anything more stresses me out.

Hairitic
August 30th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Since joining LHC, I've learned good hair care techniques and am getting away with once or twice a year for trims of an inch or two. ;)

AMD
August 30th, 2013, 07:35 AM
I s&D twice a week during the cold months of the year when I stretch my hair by roller setting or straightening. Otherwise I trim my hair once a year and just trim a Half inch off in case any ends are a bit weathered.

When I reach my goal of hip next year, I'll trim off more and s&D less.

kme81
August 30th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I self trim (maybe 1/2 inch when I need it) until I loose sight of my U-shaped hem, then I get a U (inch or two off at most to create the U) cut in professionally. :)

shutterpillar
August 30th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I do my own trims, and I'll usually trim off anything from a centimeter to 1/2 inch. I did do a rather large cut (two or so inches) at the beginning of this year in order to trim out more of my layers and the last of my bleach experimentation from a couple years past.

peepopowitz
August 30th, 2013, 11:16 AM
While my hair is short, I do fairly frequent trims of a 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Right now, I feel like I need trims every ten weeks or so, but once my hair is long enough to put in a bun and protect fragile ends I plan to go longer between snips. I see a stylist for my trims and I couldn't self-trim if I wanted to at this length. I just trimmed on the 27th and my ends feel like silk. I'm going to try to protect my nice new ends and stretch for at least 12 weeks, I hope.

katiebeans
August 31st, 2013, 11:57 AM
I haven't been to a hair dresser in over a year. I went a good long time without taking any scissors to my hair, probably about a year, but have begun self trimming 1/2" to 1" every 6-8 weeks (if I remember :P).

AliD
August 31st, 2013, 12:05 PM
I'm trying not to trim too much so I haven't trimmed since the first week of july and don't intend to trim until probably November but my ends don't look like they need to be trimmed and I jus trim off whatever I feel is necessary

Vivalagina
August 31st, 2013, 12:45 PM
I have about 1" trimmed off every 6 months. I just go to whatever inexpensive shop is nearby and have a hair stylist do it.

veryhairyfairy
August 31st, 2013, 12:53 PM
Pre-LHC I was having something like 2" chopped every six months or so, which left me with what I saw as very slow growth. After learning some basics about growth rates (mine is exactly average), I switched it up to monthly micro trims. Those monthly micro trims made such a huge difference in how my ends felt/looked! I haven't had a trim in the last 4-5 months though, because I trim by the moon and my trimmer's schedule and mine can't seem to sync up at the right times. I might start doing 1/4" to 1/2" every 3-4 months just to make it easier on us.

rosey4exclaim
August 31st, 2013, 12:54 PM
I don't trim my hair anymore, since I've been growing it out, but I do S&D about every day.

What I'd recommend would depend on your goals, amount of damage, how fast your hair grows, etc. If you're maintaining hair length, I'd trim an inch or two about every six weeks, depending on how fast it grows. If you're growing it out, I'd stop trimming for a while and try S&D, but if you notice you can't keep up with splits or hate S&D, I'd trim an inch or two about every three or four months.

I hate paying the hairdresser money, so I usually did my own trimming. If I want it to look particularly nice and even, though, I 'd probably go to a hairdresser. Maybe if/when I ever get married. ;)

Emanuelle
August 31st, 2013, 01:18 PM
I never go to the hairdresser. They always cut off way too much. I have a trimming scissor and do S&D sessions :) like twice a year (I don't have split ends that often thanks to sealing :) )

höpönasu
August 31st, 2013, 01:41 PM
I visit the hairdresser approximately once a year. Sometimes I go crazy and visit twice. I dust and S&D myself. So far no bad hairdresser experiences. I always ask them to cut as little as they can.
:p

Mindy
August 31st, 2013, 01:57 PM
I've been self trimming for 3 years now. I trim about an inch every 3 months. Now that all my layers are finally gone, I'm hoping to cut back to only one or two trims per year.

I swore off hair dressers after the last cut. My hair growth journey actually started 5 years ago. Twice, a hair dresser cut off an entire years' growth when I explicitly told them I was growing it longer and just wanted a trim to even things up a bit. After the second time, when I went in with shoulder length hair and came out with the longest layer at jaw length, I went home and cried and swore I would never step foot in a salon again.

butterfly_dream
August 31st, 2013, 02:18 PM
I haven't had a haircut since November 2012, and I’m not planning any trim for the moment. I still haven't got any split ends… in spite of my husband rolls over my hair during the night constantly. :rolleyes:

ladylowtide
August 31st, 2013, 02:47 PM
I haven't been to a hairdresser in 3 years. I haven't trimmed in that time. I used to like going to the hairdresser, I think I am too much of a control freak now :)

Steven's Bride
August 31st, 2013, 02:51 PM
I never liked going to the hairdresser. I had a tumor on my head since birth and it was humiliating to have it pointed out everytime I went. So I learned to cut my own hair. I probably give myself a trim once a month if I was just trying to maintain my length.

If I am trying to grow out my hair, I don't trim it. Benign neglect and putting my hair up keeps me sane when my hair is at those awkward stages. I just put it up and muscle through those times. And I hide my scissors.... :)

Majormiles
September 1st, 2013, 02:23 AM
Ever four months, and get a tiny trim, probably a quater of an inch. My mum is my hairdresser so I rather like it :)

catamonica
September 1st, 2013, 01:39 PM
I haven't trimmed it since 2011. I wouldn't let anyone cut my hair. I wear it up five day's. I have no split end's. No need to trim.

SunlightShines
September 1st, 2013, 02:16 PM
All thru my 20's & 30's I used to go to the hair salon twice a year to have anywhere from 1" to 6" cut off, all depending on the condition of my hair. This year, I've been 3 times already, February -got rid of all the rest of my damaged hair (chin length stacked bob), and then 2 more times for transition hair cuts. But, the last time he took off more than I wanted in the back. I know I was clear about what I wanted....Ugh!! So, this weekend I set up a monthly reminder on my calendar to check to see if I need to self trim (only if really necessary for blending in the layers while I'm growing out). Otherwise I've banned myself from picking up the scissors.

Fairlight63
September 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM
I am maintaining my hair at hip length so I trim 1/4 to 1/2" monthly with the Lunatips calendar trying to thicken up the hair. I just started using it a few months ago, so not sure if it is working yet or not. Has anyone one else used or tried trimming with the Lunatips calendar? what was your results?

roboeyes
September 1st, 2013, 07:03 PM
I cut my hair every 2-3 times I color it. Which means about every 10-24 weeks, usually more toward the middle or higher end of that spectrum. When I do get it cut, I just tell them to take off any split ends or scraggle, and to basically even things out so I don't a giant hair arrow pointing to by butt. This usually ends up being about 1/4 of an inch. If I put it off for too long though, it can get closer to 1/2-1 inch, which is a no-no, so I make sure to be good about my trims.

Foxylocks
September 1st, 2013, 07:08 PM
I will never go to the salon again. The last time I went there was 5 months ago.
I plan to learn Faye's self trimming method.

AmyBeth
September 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM
I use Feye's self trim every 3 months and trim 1/4". I am very slowly evening out layers. Also, my hair responds in spectacular fashion to being trimmed. It grows so much faster after a trim that I regain what I trimmed and then some!