PDA

View Full Version : Operation Coconut Oil

RedNymph
August 29th, 2013, 06:39 AM
So I just bought a jar of unrefined coconut oil, but I have no clue what to do with it. Thought I might bombard you lovely lasses with a couple of questions.

1) Does tea tree oil dilute it?
2) How can I stop the greasiness? I heard about using shampoo...
3) How quickly did you personally notice a difference in length and if so by how much?
4) Is it possible to wear it as like an organic hair gel, if so how? (I know this is a weird question)
5) What's your personal favorite routine of applying coconut oil?

Some of the questions are odd and have probably been asked a million times on LHC, but I'm just really trying to corner coconut oil. You can skip questions.

peepopowitz
August 29th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Coconut oil is my favorite! If you have hair, get some coconut oil, I say. As for your first question, if anything one dilutes essential oils with base oils, not the other way around. I wouldn't try to cut a base oil (coconut oil, in this case) with an essential oil.

Greasiness is a matter of prevention, I find. Start with a tiny amount of oil and work up to more, rather than put a glob in and hope the greasiness will dissipate. Coconut oil is a great pre-shampoo treatment, so while you're learning how your hair responds to the oil just use it before washing. Sit with it for a half hour or an hour, and see how much your hair absorbs in that time or how greasy your hair gets with x amount of oil in it. If you put in too much, it's fine, because you're about to hop in the shower and shampoo it out anyway.

Coconut oil will not stimulate growth, but it will protect and moisturize the hair you have.

When my hair was very short (pixie) to short (chin), I found that I could use a small amount of oil for a light hold and a bit of texture. The longer my hair gets, the less I'm able to use coconut oil as a styling agent. However, it might be useful in executing updos. Someone with longer hair than mine can give a better answer.

Personally, I love coconut oil as a light oil treatment before a shampoo and as a heavy oil treatment, say, overnight. It's really versatile stuff. Sometimes, once I pull my hair into a ponytail, I'll run some just through the ends so that they get a little extra moisture throughout the day. I think many LHC users are fond of coconut oil, and for each person you'll get a new set of answers because it really can be used in all sorts of ways on all sorts of hair. Like I said, I've been using it since my hair was just an inch long. Long hair, short hair, medium hair, fine hair, thick hair, curly or straight, coconut oil can benefit almost any hair. Play with it and see what you like.

samanthaj08
August 29th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I add rosemary and peppermint essential oils (4-5 drops of each to a couple of tablespoons of oil) and massage to scalp and spread throughout. Then I braid it and leave it at least overnight, sometimes a couple of days if I don't plan on doing anything in the real world for a while.

Removing it, I just shampoo my scalp and conditioner only from ears down and it always has worked well for me.

I didn't notice substantial growth so much as the improvement in quality of my hair. It became significantly softer, shinier, and my ends split less. My biggest increase in growth was noticed after I started walking to work (8 miles round trip).

I have used it as a hair gel if my hair is obscenely frizzy (like the torturous humidity when I went to India). I just spread some in my palm and worked it evenly through my hair until it was enough to calm it.. but not enough to be overly noticeable.

Not sure about the tea tree oil thing though :( sorry!

Also, I take coconut oil to work in a small container and use as lotion throughout the day (2-3 drops at a time). Alcohol is one of the main ingredients in most lotions, thus drying out your hands more than moisturizing them. So hoorah for chemical-free and organic coconut oil :)

ejking2
August 29th, 2013, 12:39 PM
1. I'd say it's the other way around. You can use coconut oil to dilute a small amount of tea tree oil for use on the scalp, etc.

2. You can use a very small amount, a drop or less, just enough so that your palms have a slight sheen when you rub them together. If you do a heavy oiling, you can shampoo or CO it out.

3. Coconut oil doesn't make my hair grow faster. It seems to grow at the same rate no matter what I do--about an inch per month. I just use it to help keep my hair in good condition.

4. I'd say it's more like a serum than a gel. Some people use aloe vera gel as an organic hair gel, so you could try that if your hair likes humectants.

5. I use it on dry hair. I apply a tiny amount nearly every day to make my hair shinier, less tangly, and more manageable. I will often do an overnight heavier oiling before wash day.

meteor
August 29th, 2013, 03:19 PM
1) Does tea tree oil dilute it? Yes, tea tree oil is my favorite EO to dilute in coconut oil -> great smell and nice effect on scalp.
2) How can I stop the greasiness? I heard about using shampoo... Shampoo or conditioner work well. I find it easy to wash out.
3) How quickly did you personally notice a difference in length and if so by how much? None. Coconut oil is not improving my growth, but overall condition and moisture levels.
4) Is it possible to wear it as like an organic hair gel, if so how? (I know this is a weird question) I can use it as a "shine serum" instead of coney liquids, but not organic "hair gel". For natural hair gels, you can try flaxseed gel or aloe vera gel.
5) What's your personal favorite routine of applying coconut oil? Pre-poo heavy oiling a few hours before my wash and a few drops as leave-in. I prefer using coconut oil in summer months to avoid crunchiness that comes from the oil solidifying in cool temperatures.

akuamoonmaui
August 29th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I mix 3-4 oils to make my oil treatment. Coconut oil is the "base", then I add whatever others I like (melting the coconut oil in a pan). The coconut oil doesn't re-solidify.

I try not to use enough to make my hair oily. If I over do, shampoo talkes it out.

3) How quickly did you personally notice a difference in length and if so by how much?
I didn't notice any length as a result, but my hair wasn't frizzy anymore and the overall condition improved. A lot.

4) Is it possible to wear it as like an organic hair gel, if so how? (I know this is a weird question)
Ewww. I wouldn't.

I use a small amount (anywhere from a dime to a quarter size depending on length), rub it between my palms, pat it on my "fly away" areas, then concentrate on the ends. Next I carefully distribute that application throughout my hair by finger combing. I only apply the oil about 4" or more below my scalp to avoid excess oiliness. If I've put on too much I bun it....

Firefox7275
August 29th, 2013, 05:22 PM
So I just bought a jar of unrefined coconut oil, but I have no clue what to do with it. Thought I might bombard you lovely lasses with a couple of questions.

Some of the questions are odd and have probably been asked a million times on LHC, but I'm just really trying to corner coconut oil. You can skip questions.

Published research is as a pre-wash soak on dry hair, overnight to twenty four hours so that is what I do. That can reduce porosity, increase elasticity, reduce protein loss/ water damage (hygral fatigue).

Don't understand the questions on length or tea tree oil? You would have to apply coconut oil to the scalp to affect growth, and apply tea tree to the scalp to treat mild seborrhoeic dermatitis, not to the hair. AFAIK there is no scientific evidence of coconut oil increasing length/ growth.

Hair gel is water based, too much oil will make your hair stringy and greasy. It would be more like a replacement for a silicone smoothing serum. If I use coconut oil post-wash I use it as a minor ingredient in a leave in conditioner so it's easier to distribute evenly.

katiebeans
August 31st, 2013, 12:15 PM
As far as cutting the greasiness, an egg wash works just as well as shampoo. That is how I go about removing coconut oil from my hair. I like to use some lightly on my ends before going to sleep, or heavier on my entire length and massaged into my scalp before washing. Also, aloe vera works as a great hair gel. Sorry I couldn't provide more answers to the rest of your questions. Fortunately the lovely ladies here seem to have done so, though :)

rosey4exclaim
August 31st, 2013, 12:47 PM
I'll answer #5 because I have no clue about the others! I like to use coconut oil in a hair mask. I mix 1/3 C coconut oil (melted, if necessary, depending on the temperature of the room), 1/3 C honey, & 1 egg together in a bowl. Then I shmear (technical term) it all over my hair, wrap said hair up in either saran wrap or a shower cap, and let it sit for 15-30 minutes. Then I wash it out with shampoo (this is the only time I ever use shampoo, and it's sulfite-free, though not sulfonate-free which bugs me). I used to do this about once a week but fell out of the habit. Feel free to adjust the amount of oil/honey as necessary. This is about perfect for my thick, waist-length hair.

EDIT: I did this today for the first time in a long time, and it seems I could have washed it more than once with shampoo. It can be really difficult to get coconut oil out of one's hair. lol

nobeltonya
August 31st, 2013, 01:28 PM

I've never used tea tree oil with it, but I have recently heard about and made my own pure coconut oil boiled with curry leaves [never would have thought of that on my own..]. This is supposed to make your hair stronger and prevent hair loss and premature graying [which is good b/c both my mom and Nanny have premature graying..].

I really don't notice greasiness with it, as it fully soaks into my hair..

It isn't a miracle grower for your hair, but it will help strengthen your hair and prevent breakage. And massaging it into your scalp is also good to stimulate hair growth.

I only apply it at night, and wash it out in the morning. I haven't had much success with using it as a leave-in or sealant after washing... just apply liberal amounts to scalp and length and massage it in. :disco:

sagremus
August 31st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I can only answer the last question. I have fine but thick-ish hair. I section off my hair into about 6-8 sections and apply oil from about 1 inch away from the roots down. I also comb/detangle with a wide toothed comb after application. I apply it pretty heavily to eat section. I read a study posted by a member called Firefox that coconut oil needs about 12-14 hours to thoroughly saturate the hair. After all my hair is coated, I braid into one or two braids and allow the oil to sit almost all day, or overnight.

I then wash thoroughly with shampoo and condition as I usually do. I haven't noticed faster growth, but coconut oil is the only oil to penetrate into the hair because of it's chemical structure. Therefore I imagine it makes your hair healthier and stronger and therefore you can retain length. I have many compliments about the health of my hair after doing this 2x a week, always before washing (I was my hair 2x a week).

Just a note; if the coconut oil touches the skin on my face or my scalp, I break out heavily. So I personally avoid my scalp and keep my hair out of my face when doing this.

samanthaj08
August 31st, 2013, 07:19 PM
Quick question relating..

I wash my hair Monday nights, oil my hair (1:3 coconut:jojoba, +5 drops rosemary and peppermint) Fridays and do a mini re-oil every night until my wash on Monday. Is that over-oiling?