PDA

View Full Version : if I have to wash my hair every day, what's the best way to do it?

goldcopperbrown
August 28th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I'm very physically active and I work out about five times a week. In addition to time at the gym, I walk 10 hours per week XD

Needless to say, if I stopped washing my hair- or even washed it every other day- it would be a greaseball. So here are some questions:

1.) If you stop washing your hair every day, does it eventually get "used" to it, and become less greasy?
2.) Is it fine to wash your hair every day if you are using less harsh shampoos, and using deep conditioners/oils every day too?
3.) How many times per week SHOULD I be washing my hair? I want to grow it to 33", now it's 25", and it's fine so it is somewhat prone to breakage.
4.) Is there any preferred shampooing method that is the LEAST damaging for MOST effectiveness? Any truth to apple cider and vinegar?

HylianGirl
August 28th, 2013, 03:57 PM
1.) If you stop washing your hair every day, does it eventually get "used" to it, and become less greasy?

Yes, the scalp does get used, but in the meantime it may get a bit angry...

2.) Is it fine to wash your hair every day if you are using less harsh shampoos, and using deep conditioners/oils every day too?

Yes it is, as long as you're being gentle, washing the hair isn't as evil as it may sound, I wash mine everyday or each other day (I like the freshness, and keeps my waves looking good ^-^) oiling you length before washing prevents dryness, try seaching for sulphate free shampoos too, they are less harsh, condition everytime you wash.

3.) How many times per week SHOULD I be washing my hair? I want to grow it to 33", now it's 25", and it's fine so it is somewhat prone to breakage.

It really depends on you. Hair must be washed often enough for it not to get dirty, or in some cases irritate the scalp (for some people) and not enough to make it dry, some people wash once a month and are fine, other need to wash eveyday, it depends on your body and routine, where you live, teh wheather, all of that. There is no right answer.

4.) Is there any preferred shampooing method that is the LEAST damaging for MOST effectiveness? Any truth to apple cider and vinegar?

There is the CWC method (Condition-wash-condition) you put conditioner on you length then, without rinsing, put shampoo on the roots, rinse, and then condition again. And there's also CO (conditioner only) washing. It is the most gentle way to wash the hair, and yes, conditioners do clean the hair and remove the greasies! Just make sure to: Use cone-free conditioner, apply on to your scalp, massage very well, leave it acting for a while (otherwise it doesn't work!) and rinse well.

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar work too, but I like the feeling of conditioner ^-^

Magalo
August 28th, 2013, 04:06 PM
1) Yes!! I used to wash my hair everyday, on day 2 it was a greasy mess. I started washing it every other day, it was ugly on day 2 but I wore it up. Now it's lovely on day 2 and I can even wear it down. If I try to go another day, it's a bit greasy so I don't wear it down but it look great in updos.
2) I wouldn't use shampoo everyday. I would do day 1 shampoo+cond, day 2 conditionner only, repeat. And when you use shampoo, only put it on your scalp, not on your length.
3) 1-4. If your hair is prone to breakage, wash it less.
4) Like I said earlier, just put shampoo on your scalp!

Foxylocks
August 28th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Yes, I read from many sources that your hair will become accustomed to less frequent washing and therefore produce less sebum. But some people have chronically greasy scalps and will produce an overload of sebum whether washed often or not.
It is OK to wash your hair everyday if it works for you. If your hair is happy when washed daily, then by all means continue :o I know my hair will react in a not-so-good way if I don't wash it everyday. Don't worry, there isn't any strict longhair rule that claims that you MUST wash your hair only once a week.
Shampoo bars, in my opinion, are the best way to wash your hair. They don't contain sulfates or any of those ingredients. Ones that have a generous amount of moisturizing oils are the way to go if your hair is dry.
Apple cider vinegar rinses aren't really intended for every time you wash, it is only meant for an occasion clarifying if have buildup on your hair due to silicones in your conditioner. They are great for that purpose.
Hope I helped!

ravenreed
August 28th, 2013, 08:04 PM
My hair never became used to cleansing less. I had to find a different method, CO, so that my scalp would produce less oil.

I wash every other day and my hair is perfectly okay with it. In fact, going too long without washing makes it more dry and unhappy.

I would listen to your hair. I wash my hair when it needs it, no matter if it has been one day or three days. If my scalp is greasy or my ends feel dry, I know it is time.

I CO and my hair is past my fingertips. I always follow with an ACV rinse because I have hard water and a tendency towards an itchy scalp. I follow that with a catnip rinse to prevent split ends.

norths
August 28th, 2013, 08:30 PM
If you do find yourself sweating alot because of gym ect.. then wear a headband/sweatband that absorbs the sweat from the hair, im sure now there alot of that sweat / wick absorbing ones like those designed for clothes.
Everyone is different, if you wash your hair everyday use a gentle shampoo, or you could try washing/rinsing your hair after a workout. Or if you start to wash it every other day there is still the option of dry shampoo to soak up all the grease and making it smell nicer.

bunnylake
August 28th, 2013, 09:00 PM
You can try experimenting with stretching washes, conditioner-only, sulfate-free, etc. to see if it helps your scalp produce less oil over time.
Nothing I ever tried really worked for me, so I just went back to daily washing! Right now I'm actually using a sulfate shampoo bar from Lush every day followed by a coney conditioner and my hip length hair is very happy. Do what works for you. Washing daily isn't evil, sulfates aren't evil, etc. Every body is different!

jacqueline101
August 28th, 2013, 09:36 PM
You can try stretch washes and try to retrain your hair to become used to not being washed everyday. It will be angry until it gets used to it.

alyanna
August 28th, 2013, 10:52 PM
My hair has never gotten used to stretching washes, so I don't really believe in that idea. *I* was getting used to it looking greasy and having to be put up, but it still got greasy...

My hair is also thin and I wash it every 2nd or 3rd day. Usually every 2nd produces the best results, on the third, it has to be put up or my scalp shows everywhere.

I use silicone-free, sulphate-free, natural/organic shampoos. I find they are much gentler and my hair is not incurring as much damage as it used to. Silicones are nice for a few washes, but then my hair gets really dry, so I usually don't use them. I also use lots of conditioner and I always oil the ends while my hair is still damp.

How often you wash really depends on your preference and lifestyle.

Vinegar rinses are great and can be used with regular shampoo and conditioner as well. They make the hair soft and shiny, as long as you don't use too much.

I'm not a fan of baking soda myself, as I find it too drying. The trick for me is to clean hair, without stripping it too much and I find sulphate and silicone-free does that for me.

I'm also using henna which has thickened my hair up a bit and has made my scalp slightly less oily ... or it seems my hair absorbs the oil better... so it doesn't LOOK as greasy, when it actually is.

coffinhert
August 28th, 2013, 10:53 PM
My hair is happier the more I wash it, but I use conditioner only - no shampoo for me! And I have tried stretching washes for years, just out of laziness mostly, but trying to be more organized now and wash it more because it really does make my hair happier.

It really depends on YOU though. Some people do well with daily shampoo, some people do well with conditioner only... Some people do well stretching washes, some don't. You should try one thing for a while and see if you like it, and switch something up if you don't. Do you have a reason to change your current wash routine?

HintOfMint
August 28th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I've found that oiling beforehand really takes the harshness out of shampoo, so maybe try that or just dilute your shampoo a bit.

mbondare
August 29th, 2013, 12:46 AM
My hair gets greasy on the second day and tends to cling to my scalp so I wash my hair daily. I exercise every day and live in a hot sunny climate so I find it is best to wash hair a soon as possible after working out, otherwise I start to get acne on my scalp. I have tried stretching washes but it seems to only make my hair situation worse given my lifestyle and the climate I live in. You could also try washing your scalp with just water or a tea rinse if you are worried about over washing. However, I feel that not washing after sweating just causes hair problems because of scalp irritation from blocked pores and salt. Like many have already said, oiling hair is helpful if you are concerned about dryness and breakage from frequent shampoos. Try oiling the length of your hair before you work out so that it has time to do its magic.
In the end, you need to decide what you are most comfortable with -everyone is different.
Hope that helps!

sarahthegemini
August 29th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I would absolutely recommend CWC as another poster mentioned. You may find your hair naturally stops being so greasy. Take note of how your scalp responds though. I went from shampooing and conditioning daily to CWC daily. Afer a few weeks (w/o me trying to stretch washes) my hair suddenly stopped being greasy on day 2 so I was able to wash every other day however my scalp freaked out. I've tried it again though (washing every other day) and this time round there are no problems.

I have found oiling with coconut oil beforehand (as in, hours before) stops the 'poo from being so stripping/drying. You could also try shampooing your scalp and then just letting the suds run down and clean your length, diluting your shampoo, using sulfate free 'poo (there may be a transition period though), using dry shampoo ...

XcaliburGirl
August 29th, 2013, 05:45 AM
If your hair and scalp respond well to daily washing, there's nothing wrong with it.

I get flakes and an itchy scalp if I don't wash daily. I usually apply the shampoo to my scalp only. I han't tried oiling the ends to protect them, but that does sound like a good idea.

Saeth
August 31st, 2013, 02:54 PM
No. I had a year of stretching washes while wearing wigs. My scalp never got used to it and it never looked presentable enough. I have very greasy hair which is also fine and straight so it shows easily.

I think as long as you handle it with respect and find a balance of cleansing and yet gentle enough it's possible to do this. I find diluting shampoo helps a lot and not scrubbing on the first wash, just letting the soapy water slosh through my hair. Then I wash it a bit more thoroughly the second time.

As often as it's clean enough without being nuked, that doesn't lead to damage. There's no magic formula. Take it from me, I've tried everything. You have to find what works for your hair.

Again, this varies. I've tried CO, it made me shed unbelievable amounts. So far coming off the natural shampoo I had (which had coconut oil in it!) has reduced my shedding a little. Now I just use normal shampoo heavily diluted. However since moving to a soft water area I'm trying a shampoo bar. Oil on the ends does help to protect from dryness, just don't go mad with it.

battles
August 31st, 2013, 03:56 PM
Yep. I went from daily washing to twice a week washing by stretching it.
Honestly, I think that depends on the hair type. Mine would throw a fit if I washed it daily.
You need to experiment and find what works for you. There is no one size fits all for hair.
I think CO, for those that actually have success with it. For me, it made me shed kittens so that canceled out any benefit. There are many options though, and what works for you will be different than what works for someone else. Yes, yes, yes. Apple cider vinegar is amazing.

jeanniet
August 31st, 2013, 04:37 PM
Apple cider vinegar rinses aren't really intended for every time you wash, it is only meant for an occasion clarifying if have buildup on your hair due to silicones in your conditioner. They are great for that purpose.
Hope I helped!

Just to clarify (haha), ACV rinses are fine to do every time you wash as long as they're weak enough. ACV doesn't really clarify, however; it will remove some surface hard water deposits and light buildup, but not things like cones. You nedd an actual shampoo for that. The need to clarify also varies with products used, individual hair, etc. I very rarely clarify and don't really get buildup (nor do I use ACV).

Panth
August 31st, 2013, 04:46 PM
Most people find it does eventually get less greasy, though while you're stretching washes and acclimatising your hair it can initially look worse. However, some people find their hair never acclimatises.
Washing is very much YMMV. For some people daily washing is fine, particularly if you use gentle methods/products (not necessarily S&C). For other people, daily washing ruins their hair. However, I think most people find that daily use of deep conditioners and oils is excessive and causes build up.
There is no should. It totally depends on what your hair needs. It depends on your personal standards of what is "too greasy/dirty", your hair's texture/fineness/length/fragility, how you wash it, the water type, the humidity/general climate you live in, how often you exercise/sweat, etc., etc., etc.
Also, washing is not going to be the only thing that could cause breakage. Generally, most people can get away with doing one slightly damaging thing if they are "good" in other respects - e.g. daily washing may be fine for some people, but only if they avoid heat styling and wearing their hair loose.
Again, it is all YMMV. A lot of people like conditioner only (CO). CWC is another option (condition, wash, condition). Another option is to dilute the shampoo. Another is to use SLS-free shampoo (but this requires avoiding non-water-soluble 'cones). Another is to go WO for most washes and only do one or two "proper" (i.e. S&C or CO or CWC) washes per week.
As for the apple cider vinegar (it is one product - no one is advocating putting cider on your hair!), it is pretty awesome, though really any mild, diluted acid will work. It does not help with washing. What it does is help the hair cuticle lie flat, which makes hair less prone to tangling and also super-shiny. It is absolutely necessary if you use an alkaline washing method (baking soda, or bar soap). If you use a non-alkaline method then it is only an added bonus, not required. Two things are important to note: 1) you MUST dilute it appropriately or you will cause damage (I find 1-2 teaspoons in a regular sized glass of water is fine) and 2) apple cider vinegar can darken blonde hair. If you have blonde hair, it is better to use white wine vinegar or white spirit vinegar. Avoid lemon juice as though it is also acidic it can cause bleaching (and damage).

Also:

Baking soda and apple cider vinegar work too, but I like the feeling of conditioner ^-^

Baking soda is VERY harsh, even when its alkalinity is subsequently neutralised by vinegar. I would not recommend it for anyone, certainly not for daily washing.

Hope I helped!

This is completely wrong. Not only can you use vinegar rinses after every wash with no problem (provided the vinegar is sufficiently diluted), but vinegar rinses do not clarify and they certainly do not remove silicones. They can remove some mineral deposits (i.e. chelate), but even then they will not work as well as a proper chelating treatment.

GrowingGlory
August 31st, 2013, 04:48 PM
I'm very physically active and I work out about five times a week. In addition to time at the gym, I walk 10 hours per week XD

Needless to say, if I stopped washing my hair- or even washed it every other day- it would be a greaseball. So here are some questions:

1.) If you stop washing your hair every day, does it eventually get "used" to it, and become less greasy? Mine did, but it became too dry. YMMV.
2.) Is it fine to wash your hair every day if you are using less harsh shampoos, and using deep conditioners/oils every day too? Yes, as long as it seems to agree with your hair and scalp.
3.) How many times per week SHOULD I be washing my hair? I want to grow it to 33", now it's 25", and it's fine so it is somewhat prone to breakage. As frequently as your hair seems to need washing, provided that your water, shampoo, washing method and hair tools are hair-friendly.
4.) Is there any preferred shampooing method that is the LEAST damaging for MOST effectiveness? Any truth to apple cider and vinegar? Mild shampoo, purified water, no wadding up hair, gentle detangling with fingers, then a wide-toothed comb. HTH.

rosey4exclaim
August 31st, 2013, 05:01 PM
1.) Yes. It may seem quite greasy at first, but it eventually gets less greasy.
2.) I suppose it's fine to wash your hair every day no matter what kind of shampoo you use, but the less-harsh the better.
3.) Only you can figure that out. It depends on how comfortable you are with the amount of grease and how your shampoo affects your hair.
4.) I use the "no-poo" or "ShamPhree" method. I shake up two bottles, one with 1/4 C baking soda and 2 C water and the other with 1/4 C apple cider vinegar and 2 C water. This is a bit more BS/ACV than is usually recommended, but my hair is thick and greasy. I use the BS mixture on my scalp and the ACV mixture from the shoulders down. I love it. It works for me, though I know it's not for everyone. I've found it's made such a difference for my hair. The only time I use shampoo is after an oily hair mask.

lapushka
August 31st, 2013, 05:02 PM

That depends. If your hair isn't really that greasy, but you've just become used to washing it daily (and your hair reacts like it wants to be washed daily), then yes you can *gradually* stretch washes. If your hair *is* really that greasy, and you find it's impossible to stretch washings, you'll just have to get used to it being that way.

I see nothing wrong with using harsh shampoos. If your scalp reacts favorably to it, then you can continue to use them. Experimenting with a milder shampoo might be nice, but I'd concentrate on stretching washes first, before starting to experiment with changing shampoos.

It all depends on what your scalp is like, and you can only find that out by trying to stretch washings.

I'd not try everything all at once. First concentrate on stretching washes, before making any other changes!

stachelbeere
August 31st, 2013, 05:05 PM
maybe just do a WO inbetween 'real' washes? water washes sweat out really well.

Beav83
August 31st, 2013, 08:30 PM
This is a great post. I have been wondering the same thing because I've been trying to go to the gym every morning. I think I will gradually try to stretch out the washes. Does anyone use dry shampoo on non-wash days or have any thoughts on if it's good/bad/ok for the hair/scalp?

spirals
September 1st, 2013, 12:50 AM
Optimally, I should wash every other day. Stretching washes makes my scalp itchy and my hair dry. I don't use detergent shampoo anymore. It dried my hair out. So I do castile soap and an acid rinse. My damaged ends would do better with conventional conditioner, but I wanted to go natural. The non-damaged hair is doing well and got me a compliment today. If I wanted to, I could wash every day, but I'm too lazy.

Emanuelle
September 1st, 2013, 02:29 AM
1.) Yes! This usually takes 2 to 6 weeks.
2.) Well, yeah I guess, if you are using really gentle products it shouldn't hurt.
3.) Well... Not washing your hair everyday is more time- and cost efficient. But it's something you decide. Your hair will get used to it, and you can wear hair in a bun on non-washing days.
4.) Conditioner-wash-conditioner... first condition your hair, leave it in your hair for a couple of mins, then wash it out, then condition again. Or use a pre-poo; you could oil your hair the night before washing. Or put a conditioner in your hair the night before.

Have you considered trying the co-only method?