PDA

View Full Version : Care to share your hair care tips and research and I'll share mine? :)

stephy190
August 28th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Finally have time to embark on a hair growth journey and actually let it grow yay :)
So my main things I've started doing thats made my hair super soft and shiny and healthier have been:
1 - cutting out all heat
2 - letting my hair dry naturally
3 - not using a brush or even a comb after washing my hair
4 - using a leave in coconut and almond oil conditioner
5- using a deep conditioner (l'oreal serie expert is amazing)
6 - using warm olive oil in my hair 2 or 3 times a week and letting it soak in for a few hours then wash out
7 - try to wash my hair less to let those natural oils come through (sounds disgusting I know haha)
8- getting any split ends trimmed off or when I notice dry ends get them cut (usually getting a hairtrim every 1-2 months)
9 - Vitamins!! I take a hair, skin, nails vitamin every day

So what are your main things you've changed since growing your hair ?

Thanks guys and I hope this was helpful ! Xxx :):o

sarahthegemini
August 28th, 2013, 01:39 PM
1. Being gentle to your hair is crucial!
2. Always check out the ingredients before trying a new hair product
3. I was shampooing using a harsh 'poo daily and following up with a not-particularly-moisturising conditioner .. no wonder my hair didn't look good! I now CWC every day/every other day
4. Use a wooden comb instead of plastic
5. Wear your hairup to sleep. A member on here once said "you're asleep/laying on your hair for a 1/3 of the day, it needs protecting!"

stephy190
August 28th, 2013, 01:43 PM
1. Being gentle to your hair is crucial!
2. Always check out the ingredients before trying a new hair product
3. I was shampooing using a harsh 'poo daily and following up with a not-particularly-moisturising conditioner .. no wonder my hair didn't look good! I now CWC every day/every other day
4. Use a wooden comb instead of plastic
5. Wear your hairup to sleep. A member on here once said "you're asleep/laying on your hair for a 1/3 of the day, it needs protecting!"

Thanks, good tips! :) x

Vampyria
August 28th, 2013, 01:50 PM
1. silk pillow case
2. sulphate free shampoo
3. coconut oil
4. no heat
5. air dry
6. no hair dye
7. no cones, natural conditioner
8. vitamins

sarahthegemini
August 28th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Also be aware of your hair when it's down (catching on seatbelts, chairs etc)

prettyinpink
August 28th, 2013, 02:33 PM
This sounds crazy, but I mix water with a couple squirts of shampoo and I put it in a foaming hand soap dispenser that I filled with water. I save money, and my hair :D
I also take fish oil and vitamins

AmyBeth
August 28th, 2013, 02:44 PM
The things which I believe help me maximize and preserve the growth I get are daily scalp massage, monistat, no heat, satin sleep cap and wearing hair up in protective styles daily.

Foxylocks
August 28th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I take biotin, I use tea rinses, and I use nothing but a bar of simple soap and cool water to wash my hair. I have never heat styled before, and never plan to. These things help to keep my thin hair feeling healthier. I really enjoy studying ayurvedic hair care methods, but thus far I have not tried it yet. I also wear my hair up 100% of the time, though I don't believe that has much effect except for preventing the meager amount of split ends that may appear on my hair.

curlyhair
August 29th, 2013, 12:56 PM
1.Satin Sleeping Cap
2.Co wash twice a week
3.Clarifying shampoo once/twice a month according to build up
4.Styling with pure coconut/avocado oil mix
6.Diluted ACV for final rinse
5.Combing with wide tooth wooden comb
6.Hair wraping to naturally straighten my curlly hair
7.scalp massage twice a week with indian oil + mustard oil (started 2 weeks ago)
8. S&D when have time

cassie_g
August 29th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Wash scalp once a week with shampoo and condition length at the same time.
Wear it up most of the time.
Forget about it and let it do it's own thing. ;) I enjoy employing the beign neglect method.

jacqueline101
August 29th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Cut out all heat
Trim when needed for healthy hem line
Water proper food and vitamins are key
Oils are good
Stretch washes conditions are good
Detangle from ends to roots
Up dos are good
Monistat helps growth
Cut out all damaging things

lunalocks
August 29th, 2013, 01:10 PM
1. S and D every week
2. wash twice a week - no cone conditioner on length, wash with desert essence organics red raspberry shampoo, dip length in catnip tea for 1 to 3 minutes and leave in, gently plop or towel excess and then let air dry, baby oil to ends, comb once with wide tooth comb, air dry and finger comb.
3. forks and sticks
4. spin pins
5. wear hair up most of the time and at night, all of the time
6. one drop baby oil on ends before bedtime bunning
7. mini trim about every 4 months
8. catnip tea has made THE biggest improvement in hair texture (more waves!!!!!) and far fewer splits and white dots - hence allowing me to grow longer.

all of the above I learned from this forum, except S and D and the mini trims.

starlamelissa
August 29th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I think rubbing, catching, piling hair on top of your head to wash,rough towel drying and rough brushing are far worse than daily sulphate washing, silicones, or whatever else.

Flat ironing seems to be a vicious cycle, and ratting up the hair for volume seems pretty damaging.

I think wearing it up or braided, keeping your scalp clean, and your ends conditioned will ensure good growth, as well as eating a good diet/ maintaining health.

PamelaViktoria
August 29th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I've been doing WO on and off. I've always hoped for maintenance free hair, shiny and fluffy:) It's not there yet, but working on it:)

sourgrl
August 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
~ Coconut oil before a wash
~Sulfate free poo
~No cones (weigh my fine hair down)
~seal with oil (currently argan oil)
~comb roots, finger comb length
~no brushing (poof city!)
~no heat

peepopowitz
August 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
1. sulfate free shampoo (right now it's Aubrey Organics or a shampoo bar)
2. cone-free conditioner (again, Aubrey Organics or Nature's Gate)
3. wide tooth comb only
4. no heat
5. light oiling when I can with coconut when I want moisture or olive when I want shine
6. monthly deep conditioning treatment
7. vigorous exercise 2x per week, light exercise 2-3x per week
8. plenty of water
9. vitamins