PDA

View Full Version : Hair Type me?

littlemonster
August 28th, 2013, 12:24 PM
My hair is F/ii - but I keep changing my mind on what it is straight/waviness wise.

Attributes wise, frizzy naturally, but made worse by dying, bleaching, dying... it holds things like curling/braid waves/straightening through washes, even clarifying (I know, odd). At the front which you can't see on the pics I sometimes have proper ringlets, they can also randomly decide to appear on day 2, 3. Anytime.

Anyway, a picture, excuse my fat arms. Naturally dark blonde, this has been chemical prosessed to hell, cassia'd a couple of times but not very recently. I've clarified and use non-coney conditioner a couple of times and it's brought me back to how it is naturally. Can vary much much day to day but this is sort of average.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/rattymonster/Hair.jpg

I've gone mentally between thinking I'm 1b to 2b. I do comb it out when wet a lot and even then it's 1b so must be higher than that. But otherwise, I'm stuck, thoughts?

spidermom
August 28th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Chemical processing changes your hair so much - even causing curl that isn't naturally there. Therefore, I really can't tell you what type of hair you have. This picture looks most like 2A to me.

Leeloo
August 28th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I think if you try the curly girl method you’d realise that you’re 2c or even 3a. Frizz usually indicates that there are a lot of waves or curls hiding. So in this picture you look like a 2c, but if you encourage the curls you might see more of 3a – big, loose spiral curls:
FIRST CLASSIFIER - Your curliness (or lack thereof)

The straight ones
1a - stick straight
1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones
2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones
3a - big, loose spiral curls
3b - bouncy ringlets
3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones
4a - tightly coiled S-curls
4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

Firefox7275
August 28th, 2013, 01:44 PM
My hair is F/ii - but I keep changing my mind on what it is straight/waviness wise.

Attributes wise, frizzy naturally, but made worse by dying, bleaching, dying... it holds things like curling/braid waves/straightening through washes, even clarifying (I know, odd). At the front which you can't see on the pics I sometimes have proper ringlets, they can also randomly decide to appear on day 2, 3. Anytime.

Anyway, a picture, excuse my fat arms. Naturally dark blonde, this has been chemical prosessed to hell, cassia'd a couple of times but not very recently. I've clarified and use non-coney conditioner a couple of times and it's brought me back to how it is naturally. Can vary much much day to day but this is sort of average.

I've gone mentally between thinking I'm 1b to 2b. I do comb it out when wet a lot and even then it's 1b so must be higher than that. But otherwise, I'm stuck, thoughts?

Your hair not naturally frizzy, like most of us you likely don't know what your natural hair looks like - there is nothing natural about shampoo, brushes/ combs, terry cotton towels, hair dyes, or the modern western lifestyle. IMO You are not in the 1s, I'd say hidden 2b to 2c: hair that is colour treated can get frizzier due to increased porosity and damage to the cuticle but AFAIK not curlier.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/2/112354-before-after-wavies.html

Only way to know is stop doing things that pull your hair straight - combing and towel turbans for example: consider trying the Curly Girl method. Proven beneficial ingredients for colour treated, damaged or porous hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

littlemonster
August 28th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Oooh, I hoped to be in the wavies but I never thought the curlier end of them! It looked about the same wavy/curliness before the bleach murders, apart from colour it's not changes it hugely. But yes it was always shampooed, conditioned (with not enough until I hit 11/12 as Mum never needed much and so I wasn't meant to use much, no wonder I couldn't get.. anything through it!), combed and usually plaited.

I want to change to trying CO (will read up properly on curly girl) but I have a lot of conditioners containing sillicones to use up first really, I'm assuming that they can't be used for CO with the whole water solubility issue.

I'm using coconut oil at the moment, will see what I can get the other stuff in. UK so some of the products aren't available here. I'm a bit shocked how much oil my hair can completely absorb within a couple of hours of it being dosed. Shows it needs it I guess.

The before pics on some of those are surprising, I never knew it could hide so much!!! A little scary! I think CG method will go along nicely with growing out my dye. :)

Vampyria
August 28th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I agree with spidermom that chemically treated hair can look wavier, that's my experience also. I think 2a/2b or 2b. There are some spirals though, so maybe it could be 2b/2c.:hmm:

Firefox7275
August 28th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Oooh, I hoped to be in the wavies but I never thought the curlier end of them! It looked about the same wavy/curliness before the bleach murders, apart from colour it's not changes it hugely. But yes it was always shampooed, conditioned (with not enough until I hit 11/12 as Mum never needed much and so I wasn't meant to use much, no wonder I couldn't get.. anything through it!), combed and usually plaited.

I want to change to trying CO (will read up properly on curly girl) but I have a lot of conditioners containing sillicones to use up first really, I'm assuming that they can't be used for CO with the whole water solubility issue.

I'm using coconut oil at the moment, will see what I can get the other stuff in. UK so some of the products aren't available here. I'm a bit shocked how much oil my hair can completely absorb within a couple of hours of it being dosed. Shows it needs it I guess.

The before pics on some of those are surprising, I never knew it could hide so much!!! A little scary! I think CG method will go along nicely with growing out my dye. :)

Those before and afters were what gave me my 'lightbulb moment': I thought I had 'naturally' poofy/ fluffy/ kinky/ wonky/ unmanageable straight hair. Nope I have 2a to 2c waves and ringlets that I was abusing to hell and back!!

If your hair is absorbing all the coconut oil use more: the published research is for soaks on dry hair left overnight to twenty four hours before washing, so if you do an overnight you can do a really heavy oiling and cover to retain heat/ protect your pillow since nobody will see except perhaps your partner! Hopefully you also know to oil before dying to protect from damage?

You don't need to conditioner only wash to follow the Curly Girl method, you can shampoo with products containing cocoamidopropyl betaine which is an effective cleanser and gentle providing the product is a reasonably low pH (~4.5 to 5.5). You can continue to use silicones that resist building up such as water soluble (prefix PEG-) or amine ones (eg. amodimethicone). Sulphate shampoos can be used up as hand wash or shower gel, silicone heavy conditioners work as shaving cream or some work as body lotion. The ingredients between these types of products are very similar so it's not as odd as it sounds.

I am UK based and still have porous colour treated hair - there is a list of high street Curly Girl friendly products over on the British Curlies forum. I wash with Inecto moisture infusing conditioner (£1.50 from Bodycare, Home Bargains), my favourite protein and panthenol rich product is Schwarzkopf Gliss ultimate volume conditioner (£1 from Bodycare, Home Bargains, pound shops). The most accessible source of ceramides presently is L'Oreal, their ingredient is labelled as 2-oleamido-1,3-octadecanediol: a few of their products with ceramides are CG friendly. Personally I went cold turkey on the silicones and gave away various products, my attitude was they haven't given me gorgeous healthy hair in twenty five years of adult life so it's time for a completely new approach.

lapushka
August 28th, 2013, 02:58 PM
I'd say 2a/2b.

littlemonster
August 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
As, I was trying to research amodimethicone, because it's in my aussie miracle hair insurance leave in conditioner, which I'm bordering on addicted to.

I've just checked and I've perhaps got 1-2 months of coney conditioners left anyway (very coney, bad coneys), if I actually wash my hair as often as I usually do (twice weekly) so after I've used them up I can go to CO. I already know the tesco coconut conditioner is light enough and I think nasty-free enough to use to wash and my hair loves the tresemme naturals conditioners anyway, so it should be easy for me to test. I have a bit of tresemme cleansing stuff left I can remove to decone myself, then I've got a naturals one I can use if I need it now and then too :) I also use the tesco coconut conditioner to shave my legs, so not so alien to me :D I think I may nose at the british curlies though to see products.

Sadly I didn't know about oiling before dying. I'm giving up and growing out the dye completely though. Once my roots get to ear length I'll just pretend it's ombre, seems the obvious solution. :D

Only shame is I bought a lovely boar bristle brush to spread oils, what a waste, poor brushy. It's good at its job too. I wonder if I can find some excuse to use brushy, I love brushing my hair :( Just say when greasy to use my natural oils to soak my hair before washing... maybe. We'll see :o

littlemonster
August 28th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Sorry just to ask - with protein and ceramides and such, do you just rotate what you use now and then?

From descriptions I've just been reading, my overly soft, fluffy hair may be lacking protein, I guess because of damage I'd have noticed less.

Foxylocks
August 28th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Your hair looks 2a or 2b to me. Sorry, I can't answer the protein/ceramide question :(

red-again
August 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I was classed a 2a with bleached then hennaed and indigoed hair. I have now lost most of that kink and am at most a 1c

I'd go with spidermom and others and say to wait till you have cut off the damage to work out your hair type.

Good luck growing

littlemonster
August 29th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks all :) As i said my type hasn't changed with dying, my porosity has increased somewhat (probably low to medium) but otherwise it's pretty same-y actually. It refuses to conform. :)

Will give CO a go, was considering it anyway :) May be good!!! And some other CG stuff, it basically seems to resolve around being nice to your hair, probably not a bad idea anyway.