PDA

View Full Version : Folding braid Tassels?

breezefaerie
August 26th, 2013, 01:48 PM
When braiding my hair, I have a long (to me) tassle and never get those lovely braid waves down to the ends of my hair. I've read about folding the tassel, but I guess I just can't visualize what I am to do as I end up with kinked and bent ends when trying.

Can someone explain, in a very dumbed-down way, how the folded tassel is to go? Pictures would be hlpeful too if you have them!

Thanks in advance :)

Sharysa
August 26th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Are you actually FOLDING the tassel flat, or wrapping it somehow? That's the only way I can imagine kinked ends.

I don't pull my hair all the way through the last wrap of my hair-tie, just enough for it to make a loop/circle, and it acts like a non-heat version of a curling iron that way.

jacqueline101
August 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I would think its caused by the way you wrap your pony tail holder around your ends,

Kiwiwi
August 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
One of the reasons to wear a paranda is to have the waves go all the way down.
There's a big paranda/parandi thread on this forum. You can search for it. Either using the forum's search function or through google :)

breezefaerie
August 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Good, point, I have a paranda - time to get it out!

I have tried not pulling the tassle all the way through my holder when securing the ends, but as my hair is fine and thin, this leaves me with a flat-folded in half tassel. Not the waves all the way to the ends of my hair.

I just was reading the braid waves thread and was wanting those waves all the way to the ends!

Savvyhorsez
August 26th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure exactly the look you're going for, but when it comes to tassels and getting it to look somewhat like braid waves, when I braid a horse's mane, in more specific a mare who has a foal who likes to chew on manes, I use electrical tape to get the "waves" which actually end up looking like curls, what I do is braid down to where you get the tassel, then I fold the braid up, and twist the tassel around and around until there is no hair left, then I tape electrical tape around and around protecting the hair, and when you take it out it makes lovely looking curls if you do it right. I'm sure you can use something other than the tape of course though like perhaps a ribbon braided into the ends of the braid then wrapped around.

breezefaerie
August 26th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Thanks, that's a good idea.
I wonder if I can curl my tassel like a pin curl almost and secure it somehow. I don't know if electrical tape will work for me, but I like the idea!

spidermom
August 26th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I try to braid down to the very ends, then wrap one of those soft little scrunchie things that they sell for children around the end of my braid. I've also used a piece of wet ribbon covered with a poly-band (kind of like a little rubber band). The ribbon keeps the hair from kinking.

ravenreed
August 26th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I think TorrinPaige uses a foam curler on her tassel to make the waves go all the way to the end. When my hair was short I couldn't stand to sleep on those, but my braid is so long now that I could just toss it behind my pillow.

Calaelen
August 26th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I Know how to fix this problem!, but I am going to have to post a vid or series of pics to explain, I think.
I braid my hair to the last 5 or so inches then flip up the ends and weave them through the braid. It is simple, and VERY effective.
Will try to show you tomorrow.

spirals
August 26th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Actually, that explanation makes perfect sense.

Mayihuan
August 27th, 2013, 01:49 AM
I Know how to fix this problem!, but I am going to have to post a vid or series of pics to explain, I think.
I braid my hair to the last 5 or so inches then flip up the ends and weave them through the braid. It is simple, and VERY effective.
Will try to show you tomorrow.That's so clever! I'll have to try it as well, thank you! :)

Bagginslover
August 27th, 2013, 03:17 AM
I leave a long tassel in purpose, and then pin curl it. I usually make 4 or 5 braids when doing this, pincur the ends with 2 bobby pins-one in each direction, then pin the braid to my head so the pin curl are on top of my head. Cover it all with a sleep cap and go to bed. Beautiful waves with curled ends in the morning :)

breezefaerie
August 27th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Such great suggestions, thank you!
I slept with my hair braided into a paranda, and did wake with waves to the ends of my hair which was a nice change. The curler idea is great as well as the pincurls.
I can't wait to see hoe the ends are woven back into the braid itself.

My hair and I thank you

sourgrl
August 27th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Will try to show you tomorrow.

Great idea! My layers thank you ;)

Leeloo
August 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure exactly the look you're going for, but when it comes to tassels and getting it to look somewhat like braid waves, when I braid a horse's mane, in more specific a mare who has a foal who likes to chew on manes, I use electrical tape to get the "waves" which actually end up looking like curls, what I do is braid down to where you get the tassel, then I fold the braid up, and twist the tassel around and around until there is no hair left, then I tape electrical tape around and around protecting the hair, and when you take it out it makes lovely looking curls if you do it right. I'm sure you can use something other than the tape of course though like perhaps a ribbon braided into the ends of the braid then wrapped around.

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

rosey4exclaim
August 27th, 2013, 02:56 PM
One of the reasons to wear a paranda is to have the waves go all the way down.
There's a big paranda/parandi thread on this forum. You can search for it. Either using the forum's search function or through google :)

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

Savvyhorsez
September 1st, 2013, 10:57 AM
You're most welcome btoh Breezefaerie and Leeloo! Glad to be of some help in ideas!