PDA

View Full Version : Are these hair ties okay for long hair?

thistledown
August 26th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Hi all :D
So I found these hair ties on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/au/listing/126602514/elastic-hairbands-print-ponytail-holders?ref=related-0
They are really cute, but are they okay for long hair? And does the knot just pop open when you're trying to stretch them over thick hair? I've popped standard supermarket ones doing that before! Also I realise they are probably super easy to make but I'd rather just buy a few-They'd wash well I think and they can double as bracelets too :)
Also are metal pony holders like this: http://www.etsy.com/au/listing/107025268/ponytail-holders-set-of-three?ref=sr_gallery_14&ga_search_type=all&ga_includes%5B0%5D=tags_exact&ga_search_query=ponytail+holder+metal&ga_page=1&ga_ref=related&ga_facet=ponytail+holder+metal&ga_view_type=gallery
Okay for long hair? I thought maybe the metal edge might rub the hair and cause breakage? But maybe it wouldn't?
Vanessa

MadameV
August 26th, 2013, 12:13 AM
I don't know about the metal ones, but to my understanding the ribbon-style ones are pretty dang gentle. I have a couple I use, and I love them. The one problem I've encountered is that they lose a little bit of stretch over time. Maybe it wouldn't be a problem for someone with thin hair, but I've got thick hair and it sounds like you're in the same boat. Granted, mine are drug store ones, so I don't know if there's a difference.

ETA: I'd stay away from the glitter ones, though. I haven't tried them, but they always looked a little more sandpaper-y than I'm comfortable with. That's just me, of course.

ravenreed
August 26th, 2013, 12:14 AM
I pretty much use them exclusively. They are very gentle, but they do stretch out over time.

thistledown
August 26th, 2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys, I'll buy a few and see how they handle my hair. I post how they go....they look like I'll pop them but fingers crossed! And I'll limit the glitter ones to once every couple weeks.....unless they are super soft of course! :)
Vanessa

MadameV
August 26th, 2013, 12:45 AM
unless they are super soft of course! :)

They may very well be. No idea. I've never found ones in drug stores that were both glittery and in packages where I could pet before purchase. Do let me know; I've been curious.

stachelbeere
August 26th, 2013, 01:23 AM
my only problem with the ribbon-style ones is that they are not comfortable when wearing a high pony tail, they pull on individual strands. other than that they are really great for low 'dos and tying off braids. I also love these elastics as headbands :)

lapushka
August 26th, 2013, 04:11 AM
I have a few of the ribbon ones. They are stretchy, but not so much if you want to fit thick hair in. It's quite laughable if you want them to hold a thick ponytail on top of your head, for instance. They may be suitable for tying off braids and low ponytails.

I prefer the regular elastic ones, the ones without the metallic little hinge. I have thin ones and thicker ones in those and I love them!

Remyy
August 26th, 2013, 04:20 AM
I'm a huge fan of the ribbon ties!

But also, have you guys tried these? http://www.amazon.com/Rosallini-Plastic-Stretchy-Elastic-Ponytail/dp/B00B30H6X0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_bt_1

They're like, cord hair ties. They're made of plastic but because of it's cord shape you don't get an indent on your hair. I bought a few but they were in the small size, and my hair is way too thick for them. I use them still and they seem to work well but they stretch out over time. I like the way they actually look too, mine blend in with my hair.

I've heard a ton about the ribbon ties but these don't seem as popular yet so I don't know where to find the larger sized ones.

Anyway! I support the ribbon ties,

Remyy
August 26th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Oh, I think I meant "coiled" rather than "cord" hehe

XcaliburGirl
August 26th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Remmy, I've never tried those since they look like they would get tangled up in hair, but I'm curious about them. Do you twist them more than once or just slip them onto the ponytail.

I use the ribbon ties when I have a headache or some other reason for wearing a low loos ponytail.

jacqueline101
August 26th, 2013, 06:05 AM
They look okay.

Kaelee
August 26th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Another ribbon tie fan!!! I'm trying to decide if I want to order more cheaply or make my own. I almost can't be bothered to make them myself *lol* but they're so cheap and easy to make I feel like I have no excuse.

Indigostreams
August 26th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Where can you buy these ribbon ties?

Kaelee
August 26th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Goody (I think) makes an overpriced version. I bought them just to see if I liked them before getting a bunch of the elastic to make my own and being stuck with a ton of elastic I didn't know what to do with.

truepeacenik
August 26th, 2013, 08:09 AM
On the metal ones, ask her for a pic of the back, to see how the plate attaches.
If its just two hooks over an elastic, (and points if you can swap out the elastic. I know mine die in a couple months.) you should be good as long as you don't torque down.

Kaelee
August 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I just made 4 of my own for $1.50...the ones you buy are around $1/each.....

Leeloo
August 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I don’t know about the metal ones, but I use the other ones and I think they are pretty gentle.

Carolyn
August 26th, 2013, 01:19 PM
The ribbon ones are absolutely hair safe. I love them. I just bought a boat load of the Emi-Jay ones at Nordstrom. I also got some gorgeous beaded ones at Anthropology. I have to be a bit careful with the beading but that's OK. Sephora and ULTA also have them.

akilina
August 26th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I adore these and they're my only hair tie.

But hey!!!! Good lord don't pay that much money plus shipping! Go to the craft store and buy this stuff for just a fraction of that cost and make your own. Same exact type of elastic. I had an issue even paying a 1.50 for one of these at a store...I may very well go buy some bulk elastic like this today and make some more. This way, you can find an elastic that is sparkles, and soft instead of winging it and buying something that may be rough.

march_sun
August 26th, 2013, 02:11 PM
The elastic is called "fold-over" if you're asking for it at a craft store or want to search on-line. It's really cheap and you can customize the size of the elastic to work better with your hair.

Remyy
August 26th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Remmy, I've never tried those since they look like they would get tangled up in hair, but I'm curious about them. Do you twist them more than once or just slip them onto the ponytail.

I use the ribbon ties when I have a headache or some other reason for wearing a low loos ponytail.

I twist them around more than once and they don't get tangled at all! I use the coiled ponytail holders for ponytails and the ribbon ones for everything else (buns, to tie at the end of braids, etc)

XcaliburGirl
August 26th, 2013, 07:50 PM
I twist them around more than once and they don't get tangled at all! I use the coiled ponytail holders for ponytails and the ribbon ones for everything else (buns, to tie at the end of braids, etc)

Interesting! I may give them a try some time if I run across them.

thistledown
August 26th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I'll order a few just for fun anyhow. I know I could make them but I just have so much going on I can't be bothered to be honest. And for the price of a couple cups of coffee I don't see why not-unless they only last a few weeks! I'll post a review when I get them, which could be a while cause postage from US to AU can take ages!
Vanessa