PDA

View Full Version : Got a hair compliment today!

RitaCeleste
August 25th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Okay, I was using chemical dyes to dye my hair red up until a year ago. It was always a whole head dye job, never just the roots cause red fades quick. I have coarse wavy hair. I came here and learned about different things about hair. I've used henna twice but given enough time the red of that fades too. The color treated portion of my hair had gotten brassy again and the dark brown roots didn't blend very well so I put a semi-permanent mahogany color on it all to make it match and try out a nice brown. I liked it so much I went into Sally's to pick a permanent redbrown shade to do my hair when the semi-permanent stuff washes off. Then I can just use the henna over my natural hair and it will blend right in and I won't have two toned hair. Well, the sales person at Sally's complimented my hair and we got to talking. She had died medium brown hair black with 10% developer and told her there was a good chance that it could be removed with a color remover without doing much if any damage. I also mentioned that using coconut oil made my red wash out faster but gradually. I told her about using coconut before dye and bleaching to protect her hair from damage during the processes. And then I gave her the best advice, I told her the name of the forum where I picked up all these haircare tips and tricks for longhair care! :joy:
I'm usually sensitive because I have coarse wavy hair and its not the straight hair people usually think looks so darn healthy all the time. People will think my hair is fried just because I decided to use a brush!!! But today the sales lady had that beautiful straight gorgeous hair I always wanted and she complimented my very own hair! And the best part is she has went to beauty school and worked in salons and she said it looked so healthy! (Granted I had oiled it with meadow-foam seed oil, but that's about as elaborate as my haircare routine is these days, um because it is actually healthy) YIPPY!

Firefox7275
August 26th, 2013, 04:09 AM
So pleased you had a compliment.

IMO stick with the semi permanents because they won't make your hair any more porous than it already is. Just choose a high pigment brand in a shade lighter than you want and leave it way longer than the instructions - mine is still rich after two to four months which is way longer than any permanent red ever lasted. Coconut oil doesn't appreciably fade my dye, but I always apply loads to dry hair, leave anything up to twenty four hours, wash out with piles of conditioner and cool water, never shampoo nor hot water (both raise the cuticle allowing dye molecules out). Protein treatments make me lose more dye but being coarse haired I am guessing you don't do those.

jacqueline101
August 26th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Hair compliments are the best. I love it when I get a hair compliment.

Cheele
August 26th, 2013, 07:51 PM
That's awesome! It always feels good to get a compliment (especially on your hair!). And I bet I would have complimented you too.. I'm very guilty of wave envy :)

RitaCeleste
August 26th, 2013, 09:14 PM
Thanks! It made my week. I'm use to hearing things like, "It needs a trim." "You look like Cousin It, when are you going to cut it?" This week I had already had to tell two family members a haircut was not going to happen. I see people out shopping with hair longer than mine and down. Granted it may have something to do with their religious beliefs but I still enjoy seeing the long hair on others as well. I don't ever want it shorter than my waist again. I honestly thought all that would grow below my waist was a stringy little rat tail. Its now below the waist and not too shabby on the ends so I'm going to let it grow. One day I'll make my daughter get some new hair pics to put up. I have envy for straight hair, it always looks so polished and hair commercial worthy!!!(like yours Cheele, I could just see it featured in a haircare commercial!) I would see a haircut I wanted and the lady at the salon would say, "But you'd have to straighten yours everyday to make it look like that..." I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

chen bao jun
August 27th, 2013, 03:54 PM
RitaCeleste I think your hair looks great.

Leeloo
August 28th, 2013, 02:24 PM
That is an awesome complement. Congrats!

martyna_22
August 28th, 2013, 02:39 PM
That's great :)
I actually think I got one today, too. I had a hair stick today and somehow my bun just exploded, so I decided to redo it just like that in the street (I'm hopeless with updo's...). And the friend I was with said it was amazing that my hair looks great with just a stick or without it, that I don't need hairspray or a load of bobby pins to keep it in place. That it looks good regardless of my hairdo. She's also the one who keeps comparing my hair to some Disney characters, though it's nothing like it. She also listened carefully to my advice on hair oiling and some other tips on hair journey :)