PDA

View Full Version : Mantain or keep growing?

MidnightMoon
August 25th, 2013, 06:21 PM
So I took some pics today after I undid my braid. My hair is naturally wavy but I've been wearing a braid since yesterday so that's why it has this wave pattern :p

Right now I'm growing out bangs, straightener damage and dye damage. The bangs are about BSL, the dye a bit above and I stopped straightening about 2 years ago.
I've been trimming twice a year for about one and a half years.

Notice that despite what the pics might make you think, my hair is fine, my circumference is barely 2 and 3/4 inches, it just looks big because of the wave and because I washed yesterday.

This is how my hair looks today:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2650/kg7u.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/kg7u.jpg/)

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8068/3bon.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/3bon.jpg/)

PD. Please excuse my brother's mess and the flash, it's dark already and since I'm using my phone there wasn't another way for the hair to properly show up.

SerinaDaith
August 25th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I would just keep on growing, I really can't see any major damage in the pictures. I obviously cannot see or touch your hair but it looks like it's really doing well.

Squiggy
August 25th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Your hair looks lovely! The ends look nice, and if you aren't seeing an annoying amount of splits or damage I see no reason to maintain. If your goal is to grow out those bangs (takes forever, doesn't it?) and the dye/damage, you could always cut off a little more at your normal trims. That way you can still get a little growth, but keep working out all the dye/damage.

MidnightMoon
August 25th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Well I never get splits or white dots but the texture is quite different as well as the thickness.
I just feel like the waves and the trimming make it seem as it isn't growing at all and I really hope to reach knee length in 4-5 years (if my terminal isn't shorter, of course)

Doreen
August 25th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Your hair looks very healthy to me! Unless the difference in texture is really bothering you I think you should keep growing it out. When you get to Knee you can maintain there and eventually get rid of that portion anyhow. Best of luck!

leslissocool
August 25th, 2013, 07:11 PM
I would continue to trim but add months in between. Like one inch every 6 months. Eventually the damage will go and you won't feel like you are losing length. How much are you trimming now?

MidnightMoon
August 25th, 2013, 07:14 PM
I would continue to trim but add months in between. Like one inch every 6 months. Eventually the damage will go and you won't feel like you are losing length. How much are you trimming now?

That's exactly what I'm doing right now :p
~one inch in August and one in February.

alyanna
August 25th, 2013, 07:15 PM
I voted keep trimming, but I think you could get away with one trim per year, or like leslisocool said, just trim less every 6 months.

Your hair looks very nice though and definitely health enough to make it to your goal length.

MidnightMoon
August 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Thank you for the nice words, girls.
alyanna I guess I could trim once a year, that way I'd see some more growth.

leslissocool
August 25th, 2013, 07:38 PM
Yeah I would trim only once a year or move down half an inch every 6 months. Just to keep that thick hemline.

jacqueline101
August 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
I say let it grow

thankyousir74
August 25th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I'm with you on the growing out my bangs and old dyed hair train.

If you are going to have any major trim or chop, maybe you should wait until winter, and then pledge to no trim in 2014. That's what I plan to do. I'm trying all I can to resist trimming at all between now and the new year, but unfortunately I am seeing my fair share of splits that S&Ding is apparently doing nothing for.

but yeah in case you're wondering I voted just to let it grow, your hair looks beautiful

MidnightMoon
August 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM
I'm with you on the growing out my bangs and old dyed hair train.

If you are going to have any major trim or chop, maybe you should wait until winter, and then pledge to no trim in 2014. That's what I plan to do. I'm trying all I can to resist trimming at all between now and the new year, but unfortunately I am seeing my fair share of splits that S&Ding is apparently doing nothing for.

but yeah in case you're wondering I voted just to let it grow, your hair looks beautiful

Thank you, and that might be a good challenge. Trim ~an inch in December and then not trim the whole year :p
I once did it, although I did get the urge to cut it sometimes, usally when I'm stressed out or something.

melusine963
August 25th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Your ends actually look fine to me. Since the old, heat straightened parts of your hair will eventually split before their time, I would just trim away half your annual growth. That way you'll eventually get rid of all the old damage but you'll still be able to get to your goal length.

rosey4exclaim
August 25th, 2013, 08:18 PM
I think it depends on how long you want it to be. If you like it at this length, maintain. If you want it longer, keep growing and start maintaining when you reach the length you want.

coffinhert
August 25th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I would keep trimming. I'm in a similar situation, my hair looks good but feels different and texture is more important than length for me so I trim at least every six months. Microtrims are always good just to freshen your wave texture.

tiny_teesha
August 28th, 2013, 11:47 PM
There only seems to be about 6cm of taper at the end, if it bothers you you could continue trimming for a while, but my rule is to never chop more than half of the part you want to get rid of because you have to wait for the hairs to catch up anyway and there will always be less hair at the bottom.
I wish I could have your hair! I say it looks beautiful! Do what makes you happy :)

Quahatundightu
August 29th, 2013, 05:17 AM
I voted "other" I don't think you need to trim much, maybe microtrim or just trim every 4 or 6 months. Your hair looks beautiful and shiny to me :)

Inching Along
August 29th, 2013, 07:58 AM
MidnightMoon, it looks very pretty. There are some great suggestions for trimming once or twice a year, and not doing big chops. Microtrims could also be helpful. Happy growing!

lapushka
August 29th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Since you still have damage from dye and straightening, I would microtrim, maybe like you're doing now, twice a year. That way you'll still have lots of growth, but you'll also be trimming damage off.

Sadie
August 29th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Your hair is already very long so I would go for micro trims (less than 1cm per month), you may gain some length anyway by doing so (it works for me!) :-)

Stray_mind
August 29th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Keep growing and like everyone else said, trim once a year or once every 6 months. Your hair looks very pretty and if there is any damage, it'll be trimmed off with time..

MidnightMoon
August 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Thank you everyone for your comments and compliments :blossom:
I think I will keep trimming twice a year about an inch every time, then. I sometimes get really desperate for length gain and try to avoid thinking my hair does need to be trimmed.
I'll keep you updated with pics as soon as I see some noticeable growth