PDA

View Full Version : Paula Begoun talks hair care products

bunnylake
August 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Paula Begoun "The Cosmetics Cop" talks about hair care.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/cosmeticscop/2013/08/22/hair-care-product-steals-get-gorgeous-for-less#.Uhp8Qcnkc58.facebook

Here's the transcript for whoever might prefer to read it: http://www.paulaschoice.com/community/blog-talk-radio/hair-care-product-steals-get-gorgeous-hair-for-less

I don't always agree with her, but her skin care products and reviews are the absolute BEST and she has never steered me wrong in that respect. In this show she talks about salon vs drug store brands, sulfates, silicones, how to grow hair long, etc.

Firefox7275
August 25th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Too simplistic, she's picked the hysterical arguments against sulphates and silicones and ignored the rational ones. There is research showing SLS to be irritant down at 1% and 2% not just 5% and that is in those with healthy skin, my mild atopic eczema was triggered by SLES (sic) bubbles running down my arm which Paul claims is "much much gentler". It's not just sulphates, but other anionics that can damage both skin and hair. I don't see many curlies or long hairs citing unproven cancer risk with sulphates, many of us are more savvy than that.

Silicones, she can claim they are non greasy and better than oils until the cows come home, they didn't give me good frizz free hair in many many years of relying on them, just pouf or weighed down grease. Coconut oil doesn't leave a greasy finish when used as a pre-wash, again many curlies and long hairs are well aware of the published research showing the benefits, many of us know silicones are not damaging. The Curly Girl method is popular because there are tons of wavies and curlies out there who have tried commercial shampoo after shampoo, commercial conditioner after conditioner and not found them half as great as she claims! Much of that article is applicable to straight hairs or those who straighten their hair and use wash off conditioner, not wavies and curlies who use leave in conditioner or long hairs who oil.

AmyBeth
August 26th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the link. I've been reading her books and using her skin care products and advice for years with really good results. She cuts through the marketing hype and just presents factual information as a jumping-off point to choosing products that work for you, individually.

massivecnqstdr
August 26th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Some of the information is useful, but her silicones vs. plant oils argument is sweeping and black and white. First, you definitely don't have to pick one or the other. Second, I have fine hair and have better luck with tiny amounts of plant oil than any amount of silicone (in the long term). Third, from what I know plant oils are much more similar to sebum than silicone. To me, that's a point in their favor. Especially since people rarely let sebum work through the lengths of their hair.

Ashenputtel
August 26th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I like her point about the expensive hair care and ridiculous repair claims or fancy ingredients that aren't doing much. But I'm not a fan of generalization. You absolutely can have splendid hair with natural oil and sulfate free. She also talks about SLS and SLES but there are other types of sulfates such as ALS and sodium coco sulfate. I also agree that a lot of hairdresser haven't research ingredients.

bunnylake
August 26th, 2013, 04:21 PM
I'm thinking because her focus is mostly on synthetic ingredients and formulations, maybe she hasn't done much research on the benefits of plant oils. Like I said, I don't always agree with her 100% especially on hair care, but I find her scientific approach refreshing.

jacqueline101
August 26th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I liked her view point about skin care.

ravenreed
August 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM
She lost all credibility with me when she started her skin care line and used an ingredient, Bismuth Oxychloride, a known sensitizer that is a byproduct of the lead industry. I am extraordinarily sensitive to it, and it makes my rosacea flare up something fierce!