PDA

View Full Version : Debating cutting in a fringe/bangs

BelleBot
August 25th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I'm debating cutting in a fringe. I'm not sure why but I have a sudden urge to do it. I've slept on the urge and I still want to cut in a fringe, but I'm scared!

Here's me about 5 years ago with a full fringe, and here's me now with no fringe.
http://imageshack.us/a/img821/6382/1sjl.png

And here's a mock of of what I'd look like if I cut in betty bangs which is what I'm tempted to do as a change.
http://imageshack.us/a/img855/7017/355m.jpg

So what do you guys think, should I go for it?

Also any tips on cutting in your own fringe/bangs? When I had a fringe I used to trim it and shape it, but I've never cut one in from scratch.

oddelabop
August 25th, 2013, 05:07 AM
You would be very brave to! I always get this urge but never carry it out - only because I know how irritating it is to grow out layers.
You look lovely with both... and you definitely do suit a fringe... but its permanent!

E.T.A what thickness is your hair? I.e would having a fringe drastically reduce it? That could be another factor in your decision?
Also what made you grow it out the first time?

BelleBot
August 25th, 2013, 05:20 AM
It's not really permanent though, it grows out quick enough. My hair's pretty average thickness wise, so taking a chunk out for a fringe wouldn't affect the rest of the thickness too much.

First time I had a fringe was when I was a kid, I grew it out so I could look like Belle from Beauty and the Beast. The second time, when I was 20 (in the first pic) I think I grew it out because I'd gotten bored of it. I kept long face framing bangs for ages after until I forgot to keep up with the trimming them.

Flor
August 25th, 2013, 05:32 AM
I think it suits you! Why not? :) There are some tutorials on youtube on how to cut your own bangs.

When I had bangs for short time, the thing that bugged me most is how much quicker they would start looking oily compared to the rest of my hair and that I had to heat-style them to look like I wanted.

millyaulait
August 25th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Bangs look so cute on you!

I've cut in bangs from scratch before & youtube helped me a lot.

I think the main thing is to go REALLY slow, glacially so. Find the right 'triangle' to section off to become the bangs & tie everything else away. Have really good lighting & super sharp scissors, maybe even a second person just to help you gauge everything. I had a bunch of pictures of the types of bangs I wanted so I could refer to them and pay close attention to the shape, if they were feathery, layered, blunt, where they hit, how they fell, etc. Also obviously take into account any shrinkage if you cut them wet.

I would really recommend the youtube thing though, definitely helped me the most. :)

XcaliburGirl
August 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I think you look nice with and without bangs, so it's really up to you.

When I cut mine, also watched a lot of YouTube videos. I think if you are already comfortable with trimming and shaping them, then you should be fine. The tricky part will be deciding how much hair should go into them. You may want to start out cutting them a bit longer (similar to your first picture), getting used to that, then go for the Bettie bangs. If you take it in iterations, erring on the safe-side, I'm sure you will end up with a great result.

cmdinoto
August 25th, 2013, 06:42 AM
I absolutely love bangs on you. Remember they always grow out and you can do neat things with them while they are growing out. Right now I have bangs that are growing a bit. I like parting them to the side and clipping them with a flower clip. I will probably trim them again soon but there are so many things you can do. I say go for it if you are ready.

NuclearApple
August 25th, 2013, 06:46 AM
if your hair grows quickly and you like it,why not?:o
you are very pretty with it by the way c:

RedNymph
August 25th, 2013, 06:58 AM
You'd look stunning with bangs (awesome hair color too!). If you want to I say go for it! If you're a bit resistant go for a long-ish side fringe to see how comfortable you are with it and then go for the major cutting of the fringe, this is what I did.

jacqueline101
August 25th, 2013, 07:54 AM
The Betty bangs are awesome.

HollyG
August 25th, 2013, 08:57 AM
You do look cute with a fringe but i would gradually do it if i was you (do sideswept first and see if you can get used to it again).

I've been trying to grow mine out for about 3 years but it gets too annoying (i always have a wide, thick fringe) and when it was almost nose length i gave in and cut it again (that was in april and i'm still struggling to get it out - mainly due to growth problems at the moment).

The thing to remember though, if you have healthy hair it shouldn't take more than 6 months to grow out again, but that's the main reason why i said try side swept as it may get rid of the urge to have a fringe

fairview
August 25th, 2013, 10:12 AM
The oval face structure is considered the most desirable structure to have. The upper 1/3 of your face(forehead) is larger than either 2 of the lower 1/3 sections. The correct fringe will give the illusion of a more balanced, oval face shape which is probably why you liked it when you had one in the past. Fromm a structural point of view, it is probably the right thing to do. Bottom line, that and what anyone else thinks is secondary to what you are confident with. If a fringe would make you lose confidence in your appearance, then no matter how right it may be, it is the wrong style for you. Make a decision but make sure the decision is yours and not ours. How you feel, carry yourself and how you project yourself to others is what makes you beautiful - or not. Everything else is just decoration that supports that.

robin000
August 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM
I actually think your faux fringe are fun and flattering on their own in a way that real bangs might have a hard time living up to. A little like a toned-down and more wearable version of the faux bangs on this girl (http://www.yrbmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/knzh_Karmin-500x275.jpg) of youtube fame. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khCokQt--l4)

lazuliblue
August 25th, 2013, 10:44 AM
I really like the fringe on you. I'm planning on getting one this week some time, I had one last year and after letting my pixie grow out I still prefer the look of a fringe, and it really doesn't take long to grow out anyway! Maybe you could do the 2 week rule and wait just to make sure?

lapushka
August 25th, 2013, 11:18 AM
One thing to consider is that you are going to have to wash your hair more frequently when you have oily hair. The bangs will look like a grease slick in no-time if that's the case.

MaryMarx
August 25th, 2013, 11:35 AM
I think you'd look super great with Betty bangs, you have the perfect face for it. :)
But have in mind the pain to grow it out...

glitterbug
August 25th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I have to have bangs, I just dont look me without them, Plus you can do cool things and switch up styles every now and then.

Jenny31557
August 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I say go for it! I think the betty bangs really compliment your style.

umbrellabones
August 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM
I say go for it! it sounds to me like you really want to, and I think the betty bangs will look awesome on you. (: I agree with what other people said about checking out youtube for some ideas/tutorials. I cut my own side bangs and youtube is where I learned how.

grungy haze
August 25th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I think you should go for it. The Betty bangs look fantastic on you.

BelleBot
August 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm going to give it a few weeks as I have my brother's wedding soon which I'm bridesmaid for and I don't want to wreck any photos by having a dodgy fringe lol, plus then I'll hopefully still love the idea and be more confident about going for it:) thanks for all the replies.

spidermom
August 25th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Why not? I've been going around and around with styles for my bangs; bangs grow fast, and it's a lot of fun. Now I don't look same ol' same ol' day after day.

Just don't go too thick with the bangs.

MidnightMoon
August 25th, 2013, 02:23 PM
I prefer the look without fringe, but do what makes you happy :)

blondzai
August 26th, 2013, 12:24 AM
i agree with the others that say that the betty bangs would look good on you. ive been debating this same issue (cutting fringe) but im still irritated about my old bangs length being shorter than the rest of my hair. betty bangs are a real commitment. if i were you, with your hair color i would leave it and do the pin up girl rolled bangs when you feel the urge (similar to what you did in your red hair mock bangs pic)...your eyebrow shape is so nice i think covering them would be a shame.

woolyleprechaun
August 26th, 2013, 12:34 AM
i agree with the others that say that the betty bangs would look good on you. ive been debating this same issue (cutting fringe) but im still irritated about my old bangs length being shorter than the rest of my hair. betty bangs are a real commitment. if i were you, with your hair color i would leave it and do the pin up girl rolled bangs when you feel the urge (similar to what you did in your red hair mock bangs pic)...your eyebrow shape is so nice i think covering them would be a shame.
This is what I thought- there's no commitment with the rolled bangs, and it looks cute! I'm still forcing my fringe to catch up with my hem three years on... Think it over :)

&rea
August 26th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I think bangs suit you. The photos with the mock bangs have somewhat of a vintage/pinup girl look. Super cute. I got bangs about a year and a half ago and maintain them myself, for the most part. I did a lot better when using a razor comb rather than styling shears. Youtube has tons of tutorials for cutting your own bangs. My only advice on the actual cutting is to go slow because you can cut off more if you need to. Also, invest in a good razor comb. It makes maintenance much easier :)

BelleBot
August 26th, 2013, 02:45 AM
The only problem with rolling them up to make faux bangs like I did in the picture is they don't stay unless I hold them up regardless of the number of pins I use. It's bra strap length hair rolled up into those faux bangs you see. Maybe if I cut face framing bangs like I used to have I could roll them up and they'd have a better chance of staying.
Thanks for all your input guys :)

MaryO
August 26th, 2013, 03:29 AM
You look super cute with the bangs! Considering doing it myself at the moment....

martyna_22
August 26th, 2013, 03:53 AM
I also think you look gorgeous with the bangs. They suit your face :)

WilfredAllen
August 26th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I'm painfully growing my bangs out after eight years of enjoying them and my advice is AAAH NOOOOOOOOOOOO BAAAAANGS EVERRRRRR

You look good with them and without them. If you're cutting bangs, ALWAYS cut longer, thinner and narrower than you think you would like them. It's easier to add another section than it is to grow it out. Much, much, much easier. I might even start with side bangs, if I were you.

http://www.hairfinder.com/techniques/trimfringehowto.htm

spirals
August 26th, 2013, 09:45 PM
While it's true that it can take years for bangs to catch up with the rest of the hair, that doesn't matter if you are a person who likes always having shorter hair in the front, whether that be what people normally refer to as bangs, or pieces that are around shoulder or APL and blended down to the length. If you're a person who generally likes for the hair to be all one length, don't cut bangs, since you'll hate growing them out.

Nesoi
August 27th, 2013, 02:47 AM
I say go for it. They really do look stunning on you!

YamaMaya
August 27th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Bangs are a real commitment, you'll have to keep them up, and it will take away from your hair's overall thickness. Plus, if you get tired of them, it's a royal pain to grow them out. There is I believe false bangs, that give you essentially commitment free bangs, but as with all human hair extensions, it may have dubious origins which I personally am not comfortable with.

Leeloo
August 27th, 2013, 09:54 AM
You look cute with or without the fringe. For me, it’s way too much work to style them, but if you don’t mind fussing with them every single time you wash your hair or the wind blows then it could be a fun change.

Loribelle
August 27th, 2013, 10:22 AM
I may be a little late to weigh in on the subject, but I think the Bettie Bangs would look GREAT on you!!!!
Oh, and I used this little video a few months back to cut my fringe, if that's the look you go for:
http://youtu.be/9TIjSOaU5Og
It worked REALLY well, and it's easy to DIY :-)

Loribelle
August 27th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Oops! Wrong link :( Sorry...THIS is the right one: http://youtu.be/ECkWlCUtJhs

Redhead Rebel
August 27th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I've been debating the same thing, You look great either way :)

It's taken me 2 1/2 years to grow my bangs to collarbone length and i'm trying to grow my hair to the same length. I decided if I cut bangs it will take way too long to grow out again and will take away alot of my thinkness. Sooo. . .I've decided to buy some clip in bangs off ebay instead :)

NataschaB.
August 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM
It really suits you with bangs! :)

rosey4exclaim
August 27th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Those bangs would look absolutely adorable on you, but how did you feel after you got bangs the last time? Did you grow them out because you hated them after a while or because you just wanted a change? You definitely don't want to regret a decision like that! Also, I've cut my own bangs from scratch before, and it's pretty easy. Watch a couple videos on YouTube (or elsewhere) to get an idea, and start cutting them quite a bit longer than you really want them. You know what they say, you can always cut more, but you can't cut less!

peepopowitz
August 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I'm a bit late to the party, but the bangs looked great on you. I say go for it, but I've never been scissor-shy. There's all sorts of ways to style a grown out fringe if you change your mind. With or without bangs, your hair is looking great and the color in the latest pics is really flattering. Happy hair play!

blondzai
August 29th, 2013, 05:34 PM
well the trick to doing rolled bangs and getting them to stay is you have to curl the bangs first...i will usually use strips of towel (cutting up a washcloth) to ringlet curl my bangs into sections (mist them with water before you roll and sleep in them). wake up and they are dry ringlets. then you have to brush the curls together (kinda like you would with pin curls) and that will help it go into the rolled bang shape then you will only need to pin them