PDA

View Full Version : Mirena and Hair Loss - finally get the device OUT.

sagremus
August 24th, 2013, 11:35 PM
I went get my hair done for an event. From my past posts I have shown concerns about excessive shedding. I asked the hair stylist when she was washing my hair and combed it if she noticed excessive shedding. She looked at the pile of shed hairs she had collected and I could tell by her facial expression that she was trying to be gentle with me. She said "Hmm, it does seem like a lot," but it was obvious she was surprised at the amount of shed hairs.

I am pretty sure this is do to my Mirena I had implanted, as it began about a month or so after I received the Mirena (when I also started breaking out like crazy and producing more oil on my face/back/chest then a small refinery). I was due to see the doctor in a few months as that would be the sixth month mark after I had the device implanted, and when the doctor said she would look into blood tests due to the hair shedding as she didn't think it was the device.

I only got the device for the convenience. I am going to make an appointment soon and demand it be removed and that I return to my old method, the Nuva Ring. With the Nuva Ring my hair was thick and beautiful and I got so many compliments on my gorgeous skin. Now I look like a troll.

Can't wait to get this device out and I would caution anybody who has a method of hormonal birth control that is working for them, to think twice about Mirena. My body apparently does not like the type of hormones in the device. For these many long months I tried to get through the hair loss and acne with the hopes that it would get better, or that it was just something in my diet. But that is the biggest thing that has changed in my life. So it is coming OUT.

ravenreed
August 25th, 2013, 12:15 AM
I have a Mirena and it hasn't yet caused me shedding. Everyone reacts differently to medications, so it is very hard to know ahead of time which one might do it. There is a huge list of drug families that cause hair loss and in spite of being on dozens of them, I only ever had one cause that problem.

andrea1982
August 25th, 2013, 08:02 AM
I suspect my Mirena has cause increased shedding for me as well. I've had it for 2 years, and every time I wash my hair I end up with a moderate sized hair ball that has shed out, whereas before this would only happen for short periods a few times a year. However, for me the benefits of Mirena (effective contraception, not having to worry about taking pills, much lighter and infrequent periods) outweigh the negative effects. (I also think my acne has increased slightly as well) My shedding rate is still less than the average of 50-100 hairs per day, and I haven't noticed any thinning, so I'm okay with this.
Also, as your hair gets longer, a few hairs is going to look like a lot more shedding than someone with short hair, especially to a hairdresser who usually deals with shorter hair.

Silverbrumby
August 25th, 2013, 09:15 AM
I'd recommend to anyone to spend time counting the shed hairs every now and then. I shed between 75 to 150+ hairs a day and that's heavy but at least I can reassure myself it's not getting worse. I have a short terminal so it's too be expected. My is due to the natural hormonal shift of being middle aged. Hormones!!! Grrrrr

ravenreed
August 25th, 2013, 10:02 AM
If I don't brush my hair throughout the day like I normally do, when I finally do at the end of the day there is a HUGE ball of hair in the brush.

I'd recommend to anyone to spend time counting the shed hairs every now and then. I shed between 75 to 150+ hairs a day and that's heavy but at least I can reassure myself it's not getting worse. I have a short terminal so it's too be expected. My is due to the natural hormonal shift of being middle aged. Hormones!!! Grrrrr

patienceneeded
August 25th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I'm on my second Mirena now and have never had any problems (5 years on the first, had it removed about 8 weeks ago and a new one inserted). My shedding has never changed, nor did it cause any acne or other hormonal issues. In fact, it seemed to help me shake my chronic migraines. In fact, I switched to Mirena on advice from my GP. Apparently there's a higher risk of stroke among migraine sufferers that take "the pill" as their method of birth control. Mirena has worked wonderfully for me,

I caution using blanket statements, like "everyone should watch out." Everyone is different. What works wonderfully for one person may be a horrible disaster for another. I would be more advised to say, "No matter what you use/do pay attention to your body and if something seems wrong or "off" look into it and talk to a health care professional.

lapushka
August 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I caution using blanket statements, like "everyone should watch out." Everyone is different. What works wonderfully for one person may be a horrible disaster for another. I would be more advised to say, "No matter what you use/do pay attention to your body and if something seems wrong or "off" look into it and talk to a health care professional.

Well said. I take lots of medication for a few health issues, and that's what I advise to people asking me on chronic illness boards. Always see what happens when you've been recommended a certain medication by your doctor. Never compare.

Silver Sister
August 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mirena, levonorgestrel IUD This 2007 New Zealand study mentions possible hair loss as a side effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17900442

hannabiss
August 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I didn't feel well after my Mirana. I talked to my Dr and he said my symptoms weren't because of it. However on the Canadian side effect list all my symptoms right there so I brought it up to my Dr. he refused to take it out. I don't advise this but I just took it out my damn self. I should mention I had already had Mirana once before and felt fine. But this last time was bad. My symptoms have gone away. When I had mirana removed the first time dr honestly put on glove and pulled.

ravenreed
August 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Here (http://www.americanhairloss.org/drug_induced_hair_loss/) is a list of types of medications that can cause hair loss. Notice that all hormonal birth control are listed.

Mirena, levonorgestrel IUD This 2007 New Zealand study mentions possible hair loss as a side effect.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17900442

Squiggy
August 25th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear that some people are having this side effect. I've had my Mirena in for just over a year with no problems. If anything my hair is getting thicker, but I'm sure the two are unrelated.

However, anyone who is experiencing side effects, hair loss or other, should contact their doctor. What may be the cause for one person may not be the cause for another.

truepeacenik
August 25th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Also, as your hair gets longer, a few hairs is going to look like a lot more shedding than someone with short hair, especially to a hairdresser who usually deals with shorter hair.

This. I'd also check out the hairs and decide "shed" or "breakage."

How long has the "alien" been in? (Yeah, I named mine Alien Guard)

sagremus
August 25th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I am a healthcare professional that deals with a wide variety of medications so I apologize for the blanket statement. But it has been very frustrating and traumatic for me to deal with this, and I don't believe my MD believes me. I read many stories of hair loss, acne, etc and figured it wouldn't happen to me, or I could ride it out. But I am becoming too upset over this. I will have the device removed this week.

It is shed hairs (with the white tip on the end). I can count probably 200+ a day. One day alone I brushed out 70 and then probably lost an additional 100-150+ in the shower. My husband finds the hairs everywhere. We have had to draino the sinks/tub which has never happened before. Also needed to change the vacuum cleaner bag.

I have explored many options but I can no longer deny that the Mirena may be playing a part. I did very well on my Nuva Ring so, at least for peace of mind, I am switching back. It has been in for 6 months. I will also get blood tests done at the doctor's to check that everything else is also okay.

cindy58
August 25th, 2013, 09:31 PM
so I brought it up to my Dr. he refused to take it out.

What a crock of crap for dr. to refuse!

I had a huuuge shed due to NSAIDs -- hair has been growing back for months and still looks like poop to me! I can't get the new growth to lay down with the rest of my hair -- it sticks up all over the place.

sagremus
August 31st, 2013, 03:26 PM
Just wanted to say that I have had the Mirena out for 4 days and have started on Nuva Ring, which contains estrogen and progestin. It is to my understanding that Mirena only contains progestin.

I am so much happier now. My skin on my chest is clearing up quickly. I still have zits on my back and painful zits on my face, but no new pimples have appeared. My skin and scalp is still excessively oily, but today I scrubbed in the shower and realized that I was using too much effort and now my skin was dried out - whereas before I would feel my skin was normal, which means the oil production is slowing :)

I am still shedding hairs, and I can't say for sure if things are better until I do my oil/wash/condition cycle. But when I pull out my scrunchie I now only get 1-2 hairs shed versus the 5-10 that would fall out before.

I have been reading up and so many women have gone through the same thing with the Mirena. Many of them were ridiculed by their doctors or called crazy because hair loss isn't a listed side effect. Luckily my doctor was kind and agreed to remove the device for me. I am here for support for any other woman going through this, and will keep you updated on my progress.

lapushka
August 31st, 2013, 04:40 PM
I have been reading up and so many women have gone through the same thing with the Mirena. Many of them were ridiculed by their doctors or called crazy because hair loss isn't a listed side effect. Luckily my doctor was kind and agreed to remove the device for me. I am here for support for any other woman going through this, and will keep you updated on my progress.

The best of luck to you. I hope the shedding slows down considerably!

chen bao jun
August 31st, 2013, 08:22 PM
I for one appreciate it a lot when people alert me to possible health care risks.This does not apply to me since I am menopausal but it's good to have the information out there for people to make their own judgments.

In my opinion, doctors are quite reckless when it comes to informing women about the possible side effects of birth control, which ALWAYS has side effects. I speak as a person whose sister had a stroke while on the pill, and had not been warned.

Vrindi
August 15th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I just found out Mirena can lead to hair loss. I did some more research and believe that it is also responsible for my inability to lose weight, as well as several other things. I'm getting mine out this week. Hopefully, I won't experience the crash, and if I do, it will be short.

I think this form of birth control works for many women, but there is clearly not enough transparency about its side effects, at least in the U.S. I'd never heard of the Mirena Crash, for example, and that's something I feel I should have been informed of when I went in for a consultation. I better not have a doctor refuse to take this out, or I will cause a huge fight.

I've honestly felt squeamish about the Mirena since I had it in, but thought I was overreacting. My sister has it and loves it. But I feel like it's causing me a lot of problems, and it actually makes me anxious to not get my period. I could be pregnant and not know it, and that scares me. So that with the hair loss, it's time to get it out.

For those who have experienced "the crash," were there things you did/ate that helped?

Vrindi
August 15th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Also, I'm probably not going to tell my doctor exactly why I'm getting it out. I feel like it isn't something I need to justify at all. I was told when I had it in that I could have it removed easily at any time, and I'm going to hold them to that. I'm not going to open myself up to a fight with a doctor over hair loss, or the other side effects. when I should be able to say, "please just take it out." Because if I can't get it out easily, what's the problem? It makes me feel like there's some kind of agenda that the medical community has that I'm not informed of. Do they make commission on these things? I'll let you know how it goes for me.

lapushka
August 15th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Also, I'm probably not going to tell my doctor exactly why I'm getting it out. I feel like it isn't something I need to justify at all. I was told when I had it in that I could have it removed easily at any time, and I'm going to hold them to that. I'm not going to open myself up to a fight with a doctor over hair loss, or the other side effects. when I should be able to say, "please just take it out." Because if I can't get it out easily, what's the problem? It makes me feel like there's some kind of agenda that the medical community has that I'm not informed of. Do they make commission on these things? I'll let you know how it goes for me.

I think tons of women get these back out. What if you want to get pregnant. It's none of their business why you want it removed.

LauraAlaina
August 15th, 2015, 05:37 PM
I'm on my second Mirena now and have never had any problems (5 years on the first, had it removed about 8 weeks ago and a new one inserted). My shedding has never changed, nor did it cause any acne or other hormonal issues. In fact, it seemed to help me shake my chronic migraines. In fact, I switched to Mirena on advice from my GP. Apparently there's a higher risk of stroke among migraine sufferers that take "the pill" as their method of birth control. Mirena has worked wonderfully for me,

I agree. I've used Mirena for 4 years now and I love it! I've never had any problems or noticed any unusual shedding.

yogagirl
August 15th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Vrindi, now you've made the decision to have it taken out, I hope you can get it taken care of soon. It makes me INCREDIBLY angry to hear of doctors refusing to take them out. Just who do they think they are to refuse a woman her right to decide over her own body? Are we back in the 40s? Blows my mind.

Best wishes for quick and easy recovery!

Vrindi
August 16th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Vrindi, now you've made the decision to have it taken out, I hope you can get it taken care of soon. It makes me INCREDIBLY angry to hear of doctors refusing to take them out. Just who do they think they are to refuse a woman her right to decide over her own body? Are we back in the 40s? Blows my mind.

Best wishes for quick and easy recovery!

Thank you. The weird thing is, I've always felt like I can feel it in there, and that sensation has always made me uncomfortable, even if it isn't painful. I thought it would go away after I'd had it in a while, but it hasn't. I really wish it worked for me.