PDA

View Full Version : Hair recovery from keratin treatment: tons of hair loss!!

AuburnButterfly
August 24th, 2013, 12:02 PM
My hair can be frizzy and wavy in a way I don't like, and I love the way keratin treatments make my hair smooth and straight, but paying $300 at a salon is pricy, so I bought one to apply myself at home made by Keratin Research which I bought on Amazon. I followed the instructions to the letter, but it said not to let it touch the scalp which was a challenge when applying it to the roots. In any case, at first I thought the results were good; my hair was smooth and straight, but shortly afterward my scalp started itching and my hair started shedding dramatically. This has been going on almost 2 months now. I have lost a lot of the volume of my hair. It sheds all over my clothes and the floor. I keep hoping it will subside. I have been to the dermatologist twice and she prescribed Ketonazole shampoo which I've been using. I've also tried Monistat and tea tree oil.
So I wonder if any of you know how to recover from chemical damage to the hair and scalp. I really need help.

Flor
August 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Ouch, that sounds like a bad hair dream. I did a quick google search on the subject, and it seems it's quite common problem with KT in general, even those done in salon. According to this girl who went through similar experience (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jessica-misener/keratin-hair-fall-out_b_1492467.html), it's temporary and your hair will start regrowing soon enough (provided you don't do any more treatments).

I would think Monistat and tea tree oil wouldn't do much in this situation though. But coconut or jojoba or olive overnight oiling would probably be helpful. You might try washing hair less often too and taking vitamins for hair growth.

Good luck! Try not to stress over it too much.

AmyBeth
August 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM
I'm so sorry that you are having to deal with this. I have no particular knowledge of your problem, so can only offer the standard hair care advice of being nice to your hair and give it time. Believe me, I know what it is to not like your natural texture, but you could really find peace in acceptance of it. Check out curlygirl.com for more info. Gee whiz $300.00 a pop for a treatment that is potentially poisonous and damaging to your hair!

jacqueline101
August 24th, 2013, 02:10 PM
I'd try Monistat it will help with the growth.

Temme
August 24th, 2013, 02:28 PM
The only thing I would say is not to use any heat (straight iron, blow dryer, etc.) that may worsen the problem until it clears up.

lapushka
August 24th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Try and use the shampoo as described. It will help with the itching and the dryness - lots! I second oiling sessions and trying to stretch washes to an acceptable level (I think you need to use the shampoo at least twice a week if I'm not mistaken). I also second trying to accept your texture and giving up the treatments. Try looking into the curly girl method (http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair). It will help heaps with frizz issues.

AuburnButterfly
August 24th, 2013, 06:49 PM
I appreciate all your input, you guys. I am taking hair vitamins. lapushka, you mentioned oiling sesssions. Flor mentioned coconut and jojoba oil. Is there a particular oil you'd recommend?

You know, I've done the whole curly girl thing, and who knows, maybe I'll try it again, but I just think I look better with straight hair, but you can bet I will NEVER do keratin again!!

fairview
August 24th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Being a licensed operator and having access to the Paul Mitchell salon quality keratin triplex treatment I do it every 4-6 weeks and have had nothing but remarkable results since it hit the suppliers shelves. I believe from the price and mention you like being straight rather than curly I suspect this was more a semi permanent straightening treatment that is formaldehyde based. At least the price is right and your comments support this. Keratin does not cause scalp disorder nor hair loss. The only problem with excessive keratin applications is that the hair becomes brittle like little strands of glass and breaks off, not falls out. However formaldehyde, (old school embalming fluid) will do everything that you are describing and more, much more. Keratin does not cause chemical burns on the skin.

You say you have been to the dermatologist 2X. Did you take the ingredients list with you of this product or simply walk into the office and shrug your shoulders and say, "I dunno what is happening, I woke up and it was this way?" I can't say weather the treatment is right or wrong but if you didn't provide the doctor with all the information. you were asking him/her to play darts wearing a blindfold. It's hard for me to believe that a good dermatologist would not also prescribe some form of topical steroidal application to relieve the aggravation in order to allow your scalp to recover without you adding to the list of problem by constantly itching it or going crazy trying to ignore the itch.

Allychan
August 25th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Yeah I'd go the gentle route of oiling with coconut oil, as it is antibacterial and help your scalp heal. Tea tree oil is quite harsh so avoid it whilst your scalp is so sensitive. I am totally against Keratin see the first page of my photo album and you'll see exactly why. :(

Flor
August 25th, 2013, 02:25 AM
You can try different oils and see which one works better for nourishing and conditioning your scalp and hair. In my experience, olive oil is too sticky, smells strongest and is harder to wash off. Coconut oil has the lightest consistency, absorbs best, but some say it could be a bit drying. Jojoba is believed to be closest to your natural sebum oil. I settled on using the later two, I switch them around. Sometimes I do overnight treatments only on the roots, sometimes on full length. Sometimes I put it only on the ends a few hours before or right after washing. Other times I use just one drop on my hands, rub it well and finger comb dry hair (makes it very easy to detangle). There are so many ways to use it!

Alexblue
August 25th, 2013, 03:26 AM
I had the same experience with the one and only time I used a Keratin treatment. Everything looked great and then my hair went through a massive shed.

My hair always took chemical dye well with zero scalp irritation (even when I went platinum blonde many years ago).

I agree with others, stay away from any more chemical treatments like hair dye and also heat styling tools like straighteners. Your hair will grow back but it's very fragile now so you'll have to baby it. However, the shed isn't permanent. My hair grew back quickly after the shed :-)

lapushka
August 25th, 2013, 08:04 AM
I appreciate all your input, you guys. I am taking hair vitamins. lapushka, you mentioned oiling sesssions. Flor mentioned coconut and jojoba oil. Is there a particular oil you'd recommend?

It depends on what you like, and what your hair takes the best to. Matter of experimenting a bit, I think. Coconut oil is quite light, EVOO or Extra Virgin Olive Oil is heavier, but they're both good oils. Then there's mineral oil. Don't do full head applications with this oil, as it is a pain to get out, though it is often used in these parts as a "sealer", to replace a hair serum, just a few drops as a leave-in over the ends after washing.

HylianGirl
August 25th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I think "keratin treatment" is a very wrong name to call this sorta procedure.... keratin doesn't straighten hair, the chemicals do...

But anyway, I've been there, but my hair started falling after salon application, I used a prescription shampoo from a dermatologist, and immediatelly stopped doing the "treatments" (ugh, what a stupid name!) my hair eventually grew back, I think mostly because I stopped with the chemicals. I had crazy shorter frizzies for a while (the baby hairs) but they eventually matched up. Patience is the key, it'll take a while, but I'm preety sure it's not permanent! Try reseaching about other straightening methods that don't require chemicals, it helps a ton. Good luck!

Firefox7275
August 25th, 2013, 11:51 AM
My hair can be frizzy and wavy in a way I don't like, and I love the way keratin treatments make my hair smooth and straight, but paying $300 at a salon is pricy, so I bought one to apply myself at home made by Keratin Research which I bought on Amazon. I followed the instructions to the letter, but it said not to let it touch the scalp which was a challenge when applying it to the roots. In any case, at first I thought the results were good; my hair was smooth and straight, but shortly afterward my scalp started itching and my hair started shedding dramatically. This has been going on almost 2 months now. I have lost a lot of the volume of my hair. It sheds all over my clothes and the floor. I keep hoping it will subside. I have been to the dermatologist twice and she prescribed Ketonazole shampoo which I've been using. I've also tried Monistat and tea tree oil.
So I wonder if any of you know how to recover from chemical damage to the hair and scalp. I really need help.

Was the ketoconazole prescribed for seborrhoeic dermatitis/ to treat malassezia yeast overgrowth, or off label for the shedding/ hair growth? Why are you using three anti fungal agents, did the dermatologist sanction that? You might be causing more irritation and inflammation that you are resolving. AFAIK miconazole (monistat) doesn't do anything for hair growth that ketoconazole doesn't.

Since sulphate surfactants can contribute to shedding in susceptible individuals and damage the skin you might try the sulphate free version Regenepure
http://www.regenepure.com/complete-list-ingredients.html/
http://www.eczema.org/aqeous

Or you could go the super gentle/ respect and repair the skin barrier route
http://www.komazahaircare.com/moja-shampoo.html
http://www.komazahaircare.com/pona-hair-and-scalp-treatment.html
http://www.komazahaircare.com/stinky-stuff.html

If you have seborrhoeic dermatitis olive oil is the last thing you should use, the oleic acid is a known irritant. It's also a penetration enhancer and disrupts the skin's barrier function, which again is not what you need. Skin does not benefit from most plant oils other than as a barrier to protect from harsh chemicals such as shampoo. The stratus corneum needs the saturates stearic and palmitic acids, cholesterol and ceramides - CeraVe is the only commercial source and I have heard of it being used on the scalp.

Also be sure you are eating a nutrient dense, ant inflammatory wholefood diet to reduce inflammation and irritation from within and help the skin barrier repair.

AuburnButterfly
August 25th, 2013, 12:24 PM
fairview, my doctor did prescribe a topical medication for itching. I still haven't picked it up because I don't like to take or use medications, and the itching isn't quite as bad as it used to be. It could very well be that it was an ingredient, like formaldehyde, that caused the problems. I'm not blaming the single ingredient called keratin. I am blaming the treatment which includes the entire formulation.

AuburnButterfly
August 25th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Hi Allychan, I'm sorry you also had a bad experience. Thanks for the advice. I'm glad your hair is recovering.

AuburnButterfly
August 25th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Hi Firefox, My derm did not suggest the three antifungals. I was reading online about things that would help scaling and increase hair growth and I used those on my own, although I stopped after seeing the dermatologist. Thank you for the shampoo recommendations. My diet is definitely right on target, IMO. I"m eating a mostly plant-based diet with lots of dark, leafy greens. I'm also taking a hair, nail and skin supplement as well as MSM. I was thinking of also taking silica but doing some research online, it seems that's sort of controversial.

Firefox7275
August 25th, 2013, 01:03 PM
fairview, my doctor did prescribe a topical medication for itching. I still haven't picked it up because I don't like to take or use medications, and the itching isn't quite as bad as it used to be. It could very well be that it was an ingredient, like formaldehyde, that caused the problems. I'm not blaming the single ingredient called keratin. I am blaming the treatment which includes the entire formulation.

I don't understand this, you will use ketoconazole and miconazole (Monistat) which are medications but not the prescribed anti-pruritic medication? You don't have to use it if not required, but if you are still itching and scratching that is a problem, it indicates underlying inflammation and could be contributing to the shedding. Have you been diagnosed with seborrhoeic dermatitis or something else?

Hi Firefox, My derm did not suggest the three antifungals. I was reading online about things that would help scaling and increase hair growth and I used those on my own, although I stopped after seeing the dermatologist. Thank you for the shampoo recommendations. My diet is definitely right on target, IMO. I"m eating a mostly plant-based diet with lots of dark, leafy greens. I'm also taking a hair, nail and skin supplement as well as MSM. I was thinking of also taking silica but doing some research online, it seems that's sort of controversial.

Sorry to keep being critical but this is what I do for a living, I trained in pharmacy many moons ago and am now in lifestyle healthcare (nutrition and physical activity). Plant based diets can easily be overly high in carbohydrate so pro inflammatory or imbalanced if there is not plenty of healthy fats and complete proteins. Are you eating plenty of oily fish for the long chain omega-3s (DHA and EPA) and bioavailable vitamin D? Greens are not 'better' than other produce, you should have a balance of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of colours (blue/ purple, red, orange/ yellow as well as dark green - not simply leaves but stems and shoots, a really wide variety).

Supplementing generally is controversial outside the US, where it seems to be taken very lightly. A supplement regime should be tailored to the individual, to their health conditions, medications, exercise/ physical activity level and diet, age and gender (esp. pregnancy/ menopause), not to one aesthetic requirement. Nutrients work synergistically and in opposition, randomly supplementing one or small groups can set up imbalances so can easily do more harm than good. If your diet is clean and balanced you should not need skin hair and nails, if you are mostly plant based it's more likely you need vegetarian/ vegan supplements (consider intake of B12, D, haem iron, DHA and EPA, possibly calcium).

AuburnButterfly
August 25th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Hi Firefox, What you are seeing is a person who has been in a panic over her hair loss and consequently hasn't always thought things out. I think I've been a bit impulsive. I lean toward natural products, but when I read that Monistat helped with hair growth, and this was before I saw the derm, I went ahead and tried it. As for my diagnosis, my derm simply agreed that it was caused by a the hair treatment, but I didn't ask her the exact diagnosis.
I did not know that the topical medication could reduce the shedding. I thought it was simply for itching, and I would just try hard not to scratch and forgo the medicaiton. I am probably going to call the pharmacy and see if I can still pick it up.
Thanks for the dietary advice. I eat fish about three times a week and I also have a Krill oil supplement that I recently began taking. I take B12 daily and a B complex and I take prescription vitamin D.

RTR84
October 3rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
Hello All! Gosh...I am going through this crisis of hair loss!!! Thanks to the Keratin treatment! URGHH it has me worried to death!!! its been three months! obviously the keratin was formaldehyde based, and with that 450F flat iron heat, it just must have had such a drastic effect or the salonist definitely screwed up. :( i have been shedding hair like crazy. it did start after a few weeks ofcourse and realized something was not right...then i read up all the horror stories online and researched and kicked myself for not having done the research before. All i was told was that Keratin is good for the hair! yes....formaldehyde free ofcourse! i am so stressed and desperately need some guidance on what i can do to stop my hair loss. Is this temporary? how long before i recover from it? its been three months! and i am still losing hair. i had thick hair!! I started taking hair supplements, try to use herbal oils but have barely seen a difference. Almost thinking of going to the dermatologist. I am taking biotin and hair essentials and hair revive! i try to oil my hair but fear washing it so often as it only adds to the stress and loss of hair. Any guidance please, would be really appreciated from anyone who has been in this situation. Thank you so much!!!

lapushka
October 3rd, 2015, 12:35 PM
Hello All! Gosh...I am going through this crisis of hair loss!!! Thanks to the Keratin treatment! URGHH it has me worried to death!!! its been three months! obviously the keratin was formaldehyde based, and with that 450F flat iron heat, it just must have had such a drastic effect or the salonist definitely screwed up. :( i have been shedding hair like crazy. it did start after a few weeks ofcourse and realized something was not right...then i read up all the horror stories online and researched and kicked myself for not having done the research before. All i was told was that Keratin is good for the hair! yes....formaldehyde free ofcourse! i am so stressed and desperately need some guidance on what i can do to stop my hair loss. Is this temporary? how long before i recover from it? its been three months! and i am still losing hair. i had thick hair!! I started taking hair supplements, try to use herbal oils but have barely seen a difference. Almost thinking of going to the dermatologist. I am taking biotin and hair essentials and hair revive! i try to oil my hair but fear washing it so often as it only adds to the stress and loss of hair. Any guidance please, would be really appreciated from anyone who has been in this situation. Thank you so much!!!

If it's breakage (probably is), then there's nothing you can do... but undergo it, and hope that it stops one day.

meteor
October 3rd, 2015, 01:07 PM

I'm so terribly sorry about this. :( :grouphug: Lapushka is right, there is not much that can be done once the damage is done. I'd regularly oil it (pre-poo and post-wash), regularly deep-condition, sleep on silk/satin materials, put it up gently and keep it protected from sun/wind (with hats) as much as possible, avoid over-washing/over-combing, while slowly micro-trim the damage away.

You might find this article by Nightshade helpful: Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating - http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

I really, really hope your hair will stop breaking soon and you'll manage to preserve it with good old TLC! :pray: Best of luck! :flower:

(By the way, I'm so sad that some keep calling permanent and semi-permanent chemical straightening like that "keratin treatments" (sounds deceptively healthy) without explaining to the customers who are not in the know that it *is* changing hair structure, which is damaging and *is not* equivalent to benign hydrolyzed protein treatments (heatless and without chemical straightening, they provide additional temporary coating/structure/"patch-repair", especially often recommended for damaged or fine hair). If the purpose of the treatment was misrepresented at the salon, maybe you can go back there and complain? Not to mention that it's not supposed to cause your hair to break off so fast... Maybe the heat or chemical solution was too strong and inappropriate for your hairtype? )

kitcatsmeow
October 3rd, 2015, 02:26 PM
Wow that crazy! I'm so sorry. I've heard of damage and breakage from keratin treatments gone wrong and I've heard horror stories about chemical straighteners with hair falling out but I didn't think you put keratin treatments on the scalp??

RTR84
October 3rd, 2015, 02:54 PM
If it's breakage (probably is), then there's nothing you can do... but undergo it, and hope that it stops one day.

Thank you Lapushka! I sure hope it stops soon! :( thank you!

RTR84
October 3rd, 2015, 02:56 PM
Hey Meteor ! thank you so much! i agree! i think the salonist did screw up the application. possibly let the treatment stay on for too long! i just hope it stops soon! will do everything i can! and will definitely read the website link. i am sure it will help tons! thanks so much for your concern! it is temporary though right? thank you!

RTR84
October 3rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
Wow that crazy! I'm so sorry. I've heard of damage and breakage from keratin treatments gone wrong and I've heard horror stories about chemical straighteners with hair falling out but I didn't think you put keratin treatments on the scalp??

thats what i was thinking! something's gone wrong for sure. i let it be but its been three months! :(( iTS AWFUL! :( hair in my car, the shower, the bathroom, bed (which is come down a tad bit), etc. :(i was hoping there was a recovery..possibly undo the damage...not sure as it seems like its irreversible! :(

RTR84
October 3rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
I'm so terribly sorry about this. :( :grouphug: Lapushka is right, there is not much that can be done once the damage is done. I'd regularly oil it (pre-poo and post-wash), regularly deep-condition, sleep on silk/satin materials, put it up gently and keep it protected from sun/wind (with hats) as much as possible, avoid over-washing/over-combing, while slowly micro-trim the damage away.

You might find this article by Nightshade helpful: Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating - http://web.archive.org/web/20120125071723/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

I really, really hope your hair will stop breaking soon and you'll manage to preserve it with good old TLC! :pray: Best of luck! :flower:

(By the way, I'm so sad that some keep calling permanent and semi-permanent chemical straightening like that "keratin treatments" (sounds deceptively healthy) without explaining to the customers who are not in the know that it *is* changing hair structure, which is damaging and *is not* equivalent to benign hydrolyzed protein treatments (heatless and without chemical straightening, they provide additional temporary coating/structure/"patch-repair", especially often recommended for damaged or fine hair). If the purpose of the treatment was misrepresented at the salon, maybe you can go back there and complain? Not to mention that it's not supposed to cause your hair to break off so fast... Maybe the heat or chemical solution was too strong and inappropriate for your hairtype? )

Hey Meteor ! thank you so much! i agree! i think the salonist did screw up the application. possibly let the treatment stay on for too long! i just hope it stops soon! will do everything i can! and will definitely read the website link. i am sure it will help tons! thanks so much for your concern! it is temporary though right? thank you!

meteor
October 3rd, 2015, 03:20 PM
^ Thank you so much, RTR84! :flower: Also, I forgot to ask: did your scalp get a chemical burn or any other problem during the treatment? If so, I'd definitely see a dermatologist or even just a family doctor ASAP - they may prescribe something to help the scalp heal faster. Or is your scalp perfectly fine? Then it's serious breakage. Another way to confirm that it's breakage is to check for bulbs - they should be absent. Either way, I sure hope it will stop very soon :pray: , but I can't tell when, of course, I'm terribly sorry. If you see any white dots on the length, that's likely the spots where new breakage can occur.

RTR84
October 4th, 2015, 01:18 PM
^ Thank you so much, RTR84! :flower: Also, I forgot to ask: did your scalp get a chemical burn or any other problem during the treatment? If so, I'd definitely see a dermatologist or even just a family doctor ASAP - they may prescribe something to help the scalp heal faster. Or is your scalp perfectly fine? Then it's serious breakage. Another way to confirm that it's breakage is to check for bulbs - they should be absent. Either way, I sure hope it will stop very soon :pray: , but I can't tell when, of course, I'm terribly sorry. If you see any white dots on the length, that's likely the spots where new breakage can occur.

Hey there! i don't have any burns to the scalp. its just that with my hair falling out like this, my scalp is becoming more visible!! :(:( This is like the worst, worst nightmare!! bulbs in the hair follicles? ill check for it! thanks! i Washed my hair yesterday and this morning, had about 20 strands in my hand when i was pulling up my hair. Just falling so effortlessly. everyday…..not sure how long its going to go on for. Its been three long months. :(:( i can't wait for it to be over!! very worried. Not sure what i could do to stop the hair loss. i can only stay hopeful with the vitamins and hair TLC. thank you!! :D keratin with Formaldehyde needs to be banned! not sure why its still on the market.

lapushka
October 4th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Losing 100 strands a day is still normal, so don't freak out. You might be paying more attention in general. Don't freak out!

jocelyn anne
January 21st, 2016, 03:54 AM
I love keratin treatment. It makes my hair soft but heavy and my head can't take it. It gives too much pressure on my head.

carlitamay84
September 12th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Hi I realise this is old so taking a risk and not quite sure how to navigate in the forum just yet. I was wondering did your hair grow back?

iliana85
September 12th, 2019, 12:17 PM
Hello, I know it's been a really long time but I am really interested in knowing what happened in the long run with your hair after you had the keratin. Did your hair get back to what they were like before the keratin treatment? And how long did the shedding go on? I had a keratin "treatment" 5 months ago and my hair was completely damaged. They became very thin, dry, brittle, they lost the shine and volume and 2 weeks after the keratin, the shedding begun and it hasn't stopped. It is a bad hair dream and I want to know when and if it's going to end. If anyone has had a similar experience I d really appreciate the feedback . Thank you!