PDA

View Full Version : Is this leave in conditioner any good?

glitterbug
August 24th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Hi all :)

I have a question, I have 2 leave in conditioners and I want to know what is the best way to keep your hair moisturised, as in which product is great to leave in your hair if you dont wash with SLS shampoo and dont use silicones.

The berry hair mist ingredients are: aqua, alcohol denat, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, parfum, beatine, panthenol, benzophenone-4, citric acid, glycerin, vaccinium macrocarpon fruit juice, rubus ideas juice, fragaria vesca extract, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, geraniol, linalool, cl 14700, cl17200

The little miracle leav in conditioner ingredients are: aqua, cetearyl alcohol, polyquaternium-37, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, pg-propylsilanetriol, brassicamidopropyl dimethylamine, aspartic acid, , ceteareth-20, dicaprylyl ether, lauryl alcohol, argan oil, shea butter, parfum, tocopherl acetate, chlorphenesin, benzyl alcohol, dehydroacetic acid, coumarin, linalool.

The second question was- what is the best way to keep hair moisturised in terms of choosing the leave in conditioner.
Thanks!

I have 2a, c, ii hair

jacqueline101
August 24th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I have no idea I'd try it see if you like it.

glitterbug
August 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I have no idea I'd try it see if you like it.

I was asking in terms of the ingredients, and whether they are good for moisturising/protecting the hair, given my current washing routine?

Leeloo
August 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM
They both look pretty good, but I'd try the second one first because it has hydrolyzed vegetable protein which is great for damaged hair. I'm not sure why perfume is in the first 5 ingredients of the first conditioner. Usually the first five ingredients are the most percentage wise, so I wonder if it'll be too drying.

The best leave in I'd recommend is jojoba oil. It'll seal your hair shaft and help retain moisture.

Firefox7275
August 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Hi all :)

I have a question, I have 2 leave in conditioners and I want to know what is the best way to keep your hair moisturised, as in which product is great to leave in your hair if you dont wash with SLS shampoo and dont use silicones.

The berry hair mist ingredients are: aqua, alcohol denat, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, parfum, beatine, panthenol, benzophenone-4, citric acid, glycerin, vaccinium macrocarpon fruit juice, rubus ideas juice, fragaria vesca extract, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, geraniol, linalool, cl 14700, cl17200

The little miracle leav in conditioner ingredients are: aqua, cetearyl alcohol, polyquaternium-37, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, pg-propylsilanetriol, brassicamidopropyl dimethylamine, aspartic acid, , ceteareth-20, dicaprylyl ether, lauryl alcohol, argan oil, shea butter, parfum, tocopherl acetate, chlorphenesin, benzyl alcohol, dehydroacetic acid, coumarin, linalool.

The second question was- what is the best way to keep hair moisturised in terms of choosing the leave in conditioner.
Thanks!

I have 2a, c, ii hair

What are your hair properties (coarse/ fine, porous/ low porosity) and dew points/ humidity? What do you mean by moisturised? Do you mean less frizz, softer, shinier, more elasticity or something else?

First one is not a 'true' conditioner I'm guessing it is a spray detangler - alcohol denat is very drying, you would want fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants for conditioning.

Second has two conditioning ingredients in the first five so looks much better, is it a creamy product? Plus hydrolysed protein which is beneficial for fine, damaged and porous hair particularly, but to be avoided or limited. for those with coarse hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

glitterbug
August 24th, 2013, 11:28 AM
What are your hair properties (coarse/ fine, porous/ low porosity) and dew points/ humidity? What do you mean by moisturised? Do you mean less frizz, softer, shinier, more elasticity or something else?

First one is not a 'true' conditioner I'm guessing it is a spray detangler - alcohol denat is very drying, you would want fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants for conditioning.

Second has two conditioning ingredients in the first five so looks much better, is it a creamy product? Plus hydrolysed protein which is beneficial for fine, damaged and porous hair particularly, but to be avoided or limited. for those with coarse hair.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products

My hair is normal porosity, and by moisturised, I mean to keep the hair soft and protect the hairs outer layer/cuticle and preventing any damage.
Yes the second is a creamy product, the first is a hair mist. My hair is not that course, the hair strands are thick. Second q, why does hydrolyzed protein need to be limited on course hair?

jrmviola
August 24th, 2013, 12:36 PM
I dont know the answer to your question, but i used an avocado mixed with Mayo the other day and it left the length of my hair greasy, which is what i think of in a leave in conditioner. Worked wonderfully on my, i have medium fine straight (ish) hair that gets greasy at the scalp in warm climates. I've also used: Garnier Fructis Leave in Conditioner. Does its job but dont expect to pull a comb thru the results. I use it when i'm outside working in the dust or in the sun a while when my hair is up and braded. I have also used Garnier Fructis Nutrient Spray as a conditioner before, that one pulls a comb good...

Firefox7275
August 25th, 2013, 12:10 PM
My hair is normal porosity, and by moisturised, I mean to keep the hair soft and protect the hairs outer layer/cuticle and preventing any damage.
Yes the second is a creamy product, the first is a hair mist. My hair is not that course, the hair strands are thick. Second q, why does hydrolyzed protein need to be limited on course hair?

You mean conditioned not moisturised then, moisturising is adding or increasing water which isn't necessarily the best thing it can swell hair and weaken it. Hydrolysed protein on coarse hair tends to make it stiffer and dryer feeling, it's usually strong and thick enough not to need more protein.

Ingredients that can coat the surface preventing and patch repairing damage include fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants, natural oils, panthenol, hydrolysed protein, certain polyquats, ceramides and 18-MEA. The first two are the major emollients (softeners) and basic ingredients of conditioners, but all can provide some level of emollience. Several are weak humectants so help the hair hold the right amount of water if used in the right way, not too much not too little.

HTH!