PDA

View Full Version : Grrr, hair, why are you so sticky and yuck?

Nymph
August 24th, 2013, 05:00 AM
I really have an ongoing problem, I seem to ALWAYS miss the same spot when I rinse (back of my head and neck). I don't know what I'm doing wrong because lately I've been paying extra attention to that one part. After I've just died it, it's fine for two-three washes then it starts all over again until the next dye. I thought that since the dye is so harsh it probably removes everything that might have built up on the hairs, but I'm not sure. I use a light cone shampoo and coneless CO. Regardless, last wash I rinsed 3 times and still got bubbles in the tub after the fourth time. What is happening? Any input? My water bill will be delighted with any help :(

Firefox7275
August 24th, 2013, 05:51 AM
I really have an ongoing problem, I seem to ALWAYS miss the same spot when I rinse (back of my head and neck). I don't know what I'm doing wrong because lately I've been paying extra attention to that one part. After I've just died it, it's fine for two-three washes then it starts all over again until the next dye. I thought that since the dye is so harsh it probably removes everything that might have built up on the hairs, but I'm not sure. I use a light cone shampoo and coneless CO. Regardless, last wash I rinsed 3 times and still got bubbles in the tub after the fourth time. What is happening? Any input? My water bill will be delighted with any help :(

Are you sure you are missing it when rinsing, and not simply washing/ massaging less than effectively? I would have thought with heavy hair it would be tough to 'get in there', the 'build up' would then be sebum, yours might be waxier than average. Have you tried washing or rinsing upside down? Maybe use less shampoo but diluted and/ or applied with a nozzle bottle? Yes dye will clarify, it used to for me when I used silicones. If you think the build up is product not sebum, check your conditioner for butters, mineral oil/ petrolatum and waxes including cetyl esters.

lapushka
August 24th, 2013, 06:33 AM
I have thick hair, so we typically use 3 globs of shampoo. 1 for the back of the head, 1 for the top, and 1 glob divided over the sides. On top of that it is harsh shampoo (Pantene, which contains both SLES as SLS). The shampoo needs to be massaged in well and rinsed out well, on all "sections". Washing in sections might help you.

jacqueline101
August 24th, 2013, 08:50 AM
It's probably build up and you're going to have to try harder to remove it.

spidermom
August 24th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Detangle well before you wash. Dilute your shampoo in a little water in a squirt bottle so you can apply the solution all over your head. Use your shower comb to comb over your scalp (scalp only, not length).

I'd also advise you get a cone-free shampoo. It sounds like it's probably time for a good clarifying wash.

lapushka
August 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM
I'd also advise you get a cone-free shampoo. It sounds like it's probably time for a good clarifying wash.

Seconding that!

Nini
August 24th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I get this when I'm in areas with water different from home, and where the pressure in the shower isn't quite good enough. I use Urtekram SLS-free shampoo normally, but when my hair get like that I use any kind of SLS-laden shampoo and I just go for it until everything is lathered up thickly. That usually takes care of it until I need to clarify again.

Leeloo
August 24th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah, it does sound like build-up and you'll need to clarify. And switching to cone free shampoo will help.

Nymph
August 24th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I get this when I'm in areas with water different from home, and where the pressure in the shower isn't quite good enough.
I just moved to a new place where the shower has really low pressure, I didn't realise it could have an impact too.

I'll deffinitely try clarifying though.