PDA

View Full Version : Sun drying?

Sharysa
August 23rd, 2013, 01:52 PM
I looked up threads for sun-drying hair, but the most recent one was from last year, so I decided not to revive it.

I love air-drying my hair, but I got sick of being chained to the house for two hours after a shower (my hair is REALLY thick and coarse), so I decided to start doing the opposite and sitting out in the patio to speed up drying time. I found out that it only takes about ten minutes for my hair to go from wet to damp so I could braid it.

After the second wash yesterday, I noticed a BIG difference in my hair--it's already been in great health since I haven't straightened it and I've been oiling my hair post-shower, but now it's smooth and tangle-free like second-day hair.

And then as a big bonus, I spent a few more minutes in the sun after putting my hair in my usual post-shower twin Dutch braids. When I was detangling my hair this morning, my braid-waves were so ridiculously defined that I just left my hair down until right now, when I got fed up of having awesome hair but nowhere to go until my class at three.

Does anyone else sun-dry their hair?

Leeloo
August 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
It sounds like a pleasant idea, but my hair fades in color from the direct sunlight and I'd have to put on sunscreen just to dry my hair, so I tend to stay in the shade or indoors. The breeze is fantastic thought to cut down the drying time!

QuillEnchanted
August 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
I sit out in the summer to dry my hair if the weather's nice.
I find this makes it very feathery and soft, but it can dry out my ends if I do this frequently. I compensate with a little bit of coconut oil, which seems to balance it out again.
Unfortunately, it's too cold here most of the year to actually do this.

Sharysa
August 23rd, 2013, 02:10 PM
I heard about bleaching or fading as well, but I don't think I have to worry about that since my hair's black.

I noticed that sun-drying also reacts REALLY well with my hair oil (sweet almond and a bit of sweetgrass essential oil). I was a little hesitant to stay too long because I thought my hair might dry out or frizz due to the oil "cooking" my hair, but as well as the fabulous texture, it gave this gorgeous airy undertone to my hair oil's scent.

Firefox7275
August 23rd, 2013, 02:22 PM
UV light damages all hair colours and types, tho the lightest hair and already damaged hair (chemical treated or heat styled) is most at risk. Could you sit in the shade or cover the end portion? Coconut oil may help protect against protein loss but AFAIK not against damage to the protective 18-MEA on the surface.

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2013, 04:51 PM
I love sun drying.