PDA

View Full Version : Trim or continue to grow? Opinions please!

Becky9679
August 23rd, 2013, 12:26 PM
At the end of this year I'll have been three years on the 'no trimming' challenge. I've made huge gains in length over that time and my hair is probably in the best condition of my life, but as we all know being a non-trimmer leads to thinner ends, and this has been exacerbated in my case by the fact that at the start of those three years I had layers.

However as I say above my hair is in great condition right to the ends, no damage and very very few splits. The only reason to trim would be in order to gain a thicker or blunt hemline and I'm not sure I want that enough, particularly since I'm planning on growing to terminal eventually, which would certainly mean ending up with an uneven hemline and thin ends.

I'm going to finish out the 'no trims in 2013' challenge in any event but in the meantime I'd like people's opinions on the matter. Would I look better with a blunt hemline? Should I maintain for a while? Or do you think I should just keep right on with growing?

Here's my most recent growth photo to give you an idea of what it looks like now:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5867&d=1376976911

Lady Mary
August 23rd, 2013, 12:29 PM
I think it looks beautiful as it is, no need for a trim in my opinion.

Magalo
August 23rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Your ends look thick, and I prefer your natural u-hemline over any unnatural, harsh looking blunt hemline anytime. :)

henné
August 23rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
I'm in a trimming mindset, so I'd trim. Not a big trim, but a small 0.5 - 1 inch trim maintaining the u hemline as it suits you. I just love the feel of freshly trimmed hair. Your hair is gorgeous!

Foxylocks
August 23rd, 2013, 12:36 PM
I think you should keep on growing. The hemline looks quite healthy, and a trim isn't necessary :D I must comment on how lovely your hair looks. Very nice!

Vrindi
August 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM
I'm a fan of a blunt hemline, or if not totally blunt, more even. I think it really shows off the health of the hair. You have a very nice U hemline already, so it wouldn't take much trimming if you wanted it a bit more even. I'd recommend, if you decide to trim, to just do some micro-trims. That way you can get a bit of a neater hemline and still gain length. I think fairytale ends start to look best past CL, although I've seen some that looked beautiful at shorter lengths.

Mindy
August 23rd, 2013, 12:45 PM
Your hair is beautiful and you have a nice thick hemline. I voted to maintain for a while. Just long enough to do a few micro trims and even out your hemline.

see_turtle
August 23rd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I like it the way it looks now. You have beautiful hair.

SerinaDaith
August 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
It soundsl like trimming would just take you further from your goal of terminal. I know my hemline is already looking a little rough and I have only skipped trims for a year and a half. I'd say s&d then leave it be but that's my terminal plan.

Hootenanny
August 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Your hair looks stunning! Since your ends are in good shape, I'd just keep on going!

Leeloo
August 23rd, 2013, 01:29 PM
Since your goal is terminal length and your ends look fantastic I don't see any reason to trim or maintain. Hair styles like buns will be more tricky with blunt hemline also. Gorgeous hair!

butterfly_dream
August 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
Your hair is beautiful and your hemline is fine. As far as you have decided to go to the terminal length, I think you should keep on growing.

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Looks healthy keep on growing.

PolarCathy
August 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
It looks fine the way it is, but I voted for the blunt hem. However, I'm not the best person to ask because I'm very strongly biased towards blunt hemlines :demon:

embee
August 23rd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Many updo styles are easier with fairytale ends.
If you plan to wear your hair down, then that won't matter.
Your hair and ends looks fine as is.

So I voted Cheese! :)

HintOfMint
August 23rd, 2013, 08:36 PM
I'd leave it as is, no trimming. Your ends look healthy, nice and thick so no worries there.

Raging Wolf
August 23rd, 2013, 09:16 PM
Your hair looks lovely and in great condition. Grow baby grow! :)

leslissocool
August 23rd, 2013, 10:13 PM
Voted cheese, microtrim.

IMO (and notice I have a specific goal, knee, and I want to stop there if I am able to reach it) if you will ever want a blunt hemline the best way to do it is trimming, in your case, I REALLY don't see what you mean by large cut. Your hair is very thick, to get a blunt line I'd cut maybe 2 inches, but if I were you, I'd cut one inch to freshen up the ends, then continue. No drastic trim needed.

catamonica
August 23rd, 2013, 10:38 PM
I stopped trimming my hair in 2011. I wear a braided bun five days's a week. There's no split ends. My
hair grew from waist to just above tailbone. 1 1/2. It help's to wear it up. You should just let it grow. There is a web site called singing mommy. The woman on the site has healthy hair. She has not cut it in twenty years. It's down to her knees. She says healthy, don't cut. Just let it grow. She has beautiful hair!

juliaxena
August 23rd, 2013, 11:53 PM
It looks fine the way it is, but I voted for the blunt hem. However, I'm not the best person to ask because I'm very strongly biased towards blunt hemlines :demon:

I will secretly add my signature there. Whoops, it is out in the open now. Gaining length with trims is more challenging but challenge makes it more of an achievement in my book. Plus I strongoy prefer blunt and even and would never go for thinned uneven ends - not that yours are there already, because they are not, but trims would prevent that in the future.

Quahatundightu
August 23rd, 2013, 11:57 PM
I voted kep growing! Probably it might be worth doing a very small trim, not a big one, if you do decide to do any trimming. Your hair is looking great and it grew a lot!!! :)

CurlMonster
August 24th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Your hemline looks lovely to me, I don't see any reason for a trim and certainly not for a chop! :)

Flor
August 24th, 2013, 02:12 AM
Aesthetically I prefer the look of blunt hem line (unless one's hair is very wavy/curly), but if your plan is to grow to terminal length anyway, then trimming will just set you back. Might as well just leave it alone.

RedNymph
August 24th, 2013, 03:29 AM
If you feel like you need to get a hair trim, to get rid of split ends or for a change, I say do it if you wish.

NuclearApple
August 24th, 2013, 04:05 AM
your hair is healthy,keep growing c:

oddelabop
August 24th, 2013, 04:05 AM
IMO your ends are in great condition. It looks like your hair has a small amount of shape to it. I wouldn't bother trimming. ITs not gotten ratty at all.

Isilme
August 24th, 2013, 04:36 AM
You have a nice U-shaped hemline. I would cut maybe two inches to thicken it up and keep the U-shape.

Becky9679
August 24th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Well thank you for all the responses and compliments! Most people seem to be in favour of leaving it as it is which is kind of what I was edging towards myself. If I do trim then it will be the microtrim that a few people have advised on ;)

Lesli - the reason I put big trim is because if I was to have a blunt cut, taking off all the remnants of my old layers back to the point where it's a lot thicker, then that line would probably be somewhere around waist. But I'm very glad that this isn't noticeable from the photograph and that most people are saying my ends look really thick!

spidermom
August 24th, 2013, 09:16 AM
If it were my hair, I'd get a little trim (1 inch at most) and maintain the U shape.
But I don't see a problem with your hair really; there's no absolute need to trim.

Dandelion6
August 24th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Love the U-hemline. I would just trim a bit to thicken the last inch up.

patienceneeded
August 24th, 2013, 10:07 AM
If there is no damage and your goal is terminal, just keep growing it. The ends don't look thin in the photo and your hemline has a nice shape already. I vote to just keep growing until there is a real reason for a trim (like massive splits).

Your hair is lovely!

nobeltonya
August 24th, 2013, 11:02 AM
It looks good as is. If you want it even, try dusting the ends every 2-3 weeks so you'll still gain length also. :disco:

Xan
August 24th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Keep it growing it looks lovely.

Skade
August 24th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Your ends (and your entire hair) looks great, so thick, so I think just keep growing.

ravenreed
August 24th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Personally, I don't think that blunt hemlines are that flattering. As your ends are already in a lovely U-shape, I would just tidy the ends up a bit with a small trim and keep on growing.

tiny squirrel
August 24th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm in the micro trim group but only because I'm a fan of an even hemline whatever shape you choose. Last year I did a 4+ inch straight across chop to cut out layers as you're suggesting. I love the look down, but I can attest to the fact that a blunt hemline does NOT like to tuck into a bun. If you do trim, we would love to see a photo! :-)

leslissocool
August 24th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Well thank you for all the responses and compliments! Most people seem to be in favour of leaving it as it is which is kind of what I was edging towards myself. If I do trim then it will be the microtrim that a few people have advised on ;)

Lesli - the reason I put big trim is because if I was to have a blunt cut, taking off all the remnants of my old layers back to the point where it's a lot thicker, then that line would probably be somewhere around waist. But I'm very glad that this isn't noticeable from the photograph and that most people are saying my ends look really thick!

I really can't see the layers! Your hair looks so thick, I would just grow them out or forget about them. If you microtrim I wouldn't do it that often either because your hair seems to actually grow evenly so I would really trim one inch after your year of no trims, and sign up again. Because, really, I don't think your hemline needs that much trimming to even it up.

maborosi
August 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Your ends look fantastic! I don't think you need to trim at all!

~maborosi~