PDA

View Full Version : Post recent changes to your hair-care routine

emilyann
August 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
What have you recently changed about how you care for your hair? Why did you make the change? What were you doing before?

List those changes you have made and the result you've seen, good or bad. It may help to list your hair type, and products you used/avoided, and what you are trying now.

For example:

Hair type: 1c-2a/M/ii; aaaalmost BSL, so close!

Before: Diluted shampoo and heavy condition every 3-4 days, using Herbal Essences "Honey I'm Strong" S&C. Hair was really greasy on day 3 and the ends were dry and crunchy. Probably because of the sulfates and cones. I had to clarify almost once a week with a clarifying vo5 shampoo to get it to feel anything like nice hair, and that effect was starting to fade.

Recent change: Cowashing with TJ's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner every 2-3 days. So far it's been working out really well; my hair feels really clean on day one, thanks to the advice that I rinse REALLY well. It just starts to feel a little greasy the end of day 2. I've also starting using a tiny bit of BJCO and aloe mixed together in the palm of my hand, spread thinly along the lengths. It was a random idea, haven't read to try that anywhere. The ends feel more moisturized, but I know the aloe is kind of like hair gel. It gets them to hold their wave a little better, but also gets a little crunchy gel feeling. So if I don't like that aloe feeling in a few more days, I'm going to try a smidge of coconut oil on the lengths instead. Which I do at random anyway, it makes the ends tangle a little less.

Stayed the same: I still use a protective updo with a hair stick or fork almost daily. I have to continue to detangle slowly and very gently with a comb or tangle teezer. Still avoid heat styling.

What changes have you tried recently?

Firefox7275
August 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM
Hair type: 2a to 2c, little past armpit length, porous and colour treated.

Before: conditioner only washing, leave in conditioner avoiding silicones, butters, waxes, some polyquats, petrolatum/ mineral oil. No brushing nor combing nor terry towels, sometimes a Curly Girl friendly gel styler, styling from wet, air dry. Lazy on the deep treatments - arguably benign neglect - did pre-treat with coconut oil before colouring tho. Roots only weak blonde box dye (no sulphates, silicones, ammonia), roots only high pigment semi permanent pulling through the lengths at the end to 'refresh'.

Recent changes: kicked off because my favourite leave in conditioner got reformulated, horrible hair with build up, released my inner product junkie searching for a replacement. My hair wasn't looking consistently great before anyway, 2a back section has always been unmanageable. Time for an overhaul since I've now grown out the worst of the damage.

Adding coconut oil to the box dye - hopefully reduce damage but won't see the benefits for months or years. I just don't like coconut oil soaking my root area.
Komaza Care Matani repair treatment spray (hydrolysed protein, ceramides, panthenol) - hopefully strengthen and replenish hair but won't see the benefits for months or years. I think it's done something positive but that could be placebo since the rest of my routine has been evolving.
Switching from microfibre 'plopping' to scrunching with flour sack towels, then to plopping with flour sacks but wetting down the nape - less frizz, neater curls, doesn't dry out too fast.
More hydrolysed protein in my leave in conditioners - some sausagey ringlets in the underlayers, bouncier and shinier, getting more root wave! On the flip side went a bit nuts and got protein build up - increased frizz and slightly velcro ends, improved on clarifying.

Stayed the same: Fundamentally still 'strict' Curly Girl, still do everything upside down, only heat styling is occasional diffusing on medium heat to partly dry, still limiting mechanical and chemical damage.

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2013, 08:06 AM
Before
Daily oiling
Daily combing
Daily Monistat
Shampooing length
Conditioning length

After
Monistat diluted Monday Wednesday and Friday too costly
No oiling hair hated it
Monday Wednesday Friday combing wear up braided
Wash scalp condition length only
Monthly cholesterol treatment and deep conditioning treatment
Stay the same
Weekly shampoo and condition
Multivitamin

sourgrl
August 23rd, 2013, 08:19 AM
The only change I've made is when I use coconut oil in my routine. I was using it to seal after s&c but it started to make my ends crunchy. Now I use it pre-poo. So I reap all the benefits without the crunch.

sarahthegemini
August 23rd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Previously:
-S+C daily with Tresemme 24 Hour Body 'poo (sulfate) and co (cones)
-Weekly deep treatments
-Overnight oilings a few times a week
-Towel drying roughly
-Left hair down or shoved up in a pony elastic
-Sleeping with hair loose
-Using a plastic fine tooth comb

I felt unhappy with my hair. For a start, the 'poo was too harsh and dried me out, and the co wasn't moisturising enough. I was probably causing a lot of mechanical damage too. My hair was a bit meh :-/ I decided I needed a BIG change ...

Now:
-CWC daily
-Using a leave-in co
-Cone free products
-Less deep treatments
-Gently scrunching/removing excess moisture with a MF towel
-Wearing hair up more with scrunchie or claw clip
-Wearing hair in a scrunchie bun, and a satin sleep cap overnight
-Using a wooden wider tooth comb

My hair is so much better. So much improvement. These changes have been implemented over the past couple months, although the decision to CWC and go cone-free was more recent and made the biggest change. My hair is soft, smooth, shiny, has slip and has so much body! Cones were evidently weighing my hair down. I couldn't believe my hair could go from looking thin and lank to thicker and fuller. I've been a bit slack with deep treatments and overnight oilings simply because my hair really hasn't needed them. But I would like to get back into the habit of doing a treatment once a week or so.

Staying the same:
-Washing it daily
-Combing hair once dry
-Sealing with S.A.O

I have tried stretching my washes to every other day, and my hair loved it. The greasiness just stopped one day so I thought, hm an opportunity to stretch. However my scalp shedded approx 5x more hair on wash days so I went back to daily washing. I still comb my hair once dry although I comb only once. After this, if my hair needs neatening, I fingercomb. I seal with oil because I think it aids shine and I want to keep in as much moisture as poss. I tried a LOT of oils but I found S.A.O to be the best.

Things to try in the future:
-Cassia (I've got some to hand but I'm a little nervous)
-Sulfate free 'poo
-AVG to enhance my waves

Nae
August 23rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
You all have such nice, well organized posts.

And here I am all, "I haz dumped catnip tea on my head. Hair is happy!!"

.....Oh wait, I need to organize this somehow? Umm, I use henna and I umm have oils? Lots of stuff and stuff.:hmm::shrug:

Never mind, carry on.

millyaulait
August 23rd, 2013, 10:57 AM
I'm giving CO washing another try right now.

The conditioner I'm using is a little *too* cleansing on my ends, so I'm going to start using Biolage CB on them afterwards, then sealing with oil.

The upper quarter of my hair is super gross just after a few days, while the rest is very dry. I might have to just shampoo the top but CO the bottom.

Experiments, experiments.....

patienceneeded
August 23rd, 2013, 10:59 AM
My most recent change was switching to Giovanni's Tea Tree shampoo. The stylist I saw recently recommended Tea Tree shampoo to help stretch washed further. Something about Tea Tree balancing the scalp's Ph naturally and therefore slowing oil production. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Plus, the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo is sulfate-free. Bonus!

Other than that I haven't done anything. I'm pretty boring with my haircare. Benign neglect here.

I did cut off almost 4" however. Back to BSL and virgin hair (finally).

henné
August 23rd, 2013, 11:02 AM
My most recent change was switching to Giovanni's Tea Tree shampoo. The stylist I saw recently recommended Tea Tree shampoo to help stretch washed further. Something about Tea Tree balancing the scalp's Ph naturally and therefore slowing oil production. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try. Plus, the Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo is sulfate-free. Bonus!

Other than that I haven't done anything. I'm pretty boring with my haircare. Benign neglect here.

I did cut off almost 4" however. Back to BSL and virgin hair (finally).

I LOVED that shampoo when I could still buy it. I can't find it here in Sweden. If I could, I'd definitely buy it again.

PolarCathy
August 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
I LOVED that shampoo when I could still buy it. I can't find it here in Sweden. If I could, I'd definitely buy it again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giovanni-Tea-Tree-Triple-Treat-Invigorating-Shampoo-8-5-fl-oz-250-ml-/110911066520?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Suppleme nts&hash=item19d2d09198

meteor
August 23rd, 2013, 11:03 AM
Great thread! It will help us keep track of changes and maybe even give each other ideas to try out.

My hair: hip+ length, growing out highlights (porous and damaged ends), medium to coarse hair, 2a / 2b, thick.

Before: lightly oiling hair every other day, often forgetting to put conditioner after shampoo, conditioning sometimes for an hour or so, periodic CWC.

Now:
- Not oiling just washed hair to avoid attracting lint and dust.
- After researching how damaging shampoos can be for hair and how oil helps protect hair protein, I very heavily pre-poo with an oil of choice: coconut oil usually.
- No more CWC after realizing that conditioner doesn't work as well as oil in a pre-poo treatment.
- Instead, I very heavily douse hair in conditioner after shampoo.
- I only leave conditioner on hair for 15 - 30 min, after reading some research on speed of adsorption of ingredients to hair. Turns out I really don't need to spend hours when 15 min works just as well.
- I am experimenting with combing only once every couple days instead of twice a day and I am probably getting way less breakage. Surprisingly, my hair doesn't appear to be more tangly yet.

Stayed the same: diluting shampoo in water or even ACV before applying to scalp, using only a wide-tooth comb on my hair, always air dry, wearing hair up 90% of the time, shampooing hair every 10 - 14 days.

henné
August 23rd, 2013, 11:09 AM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giovanni-Tea-Tree-Triple-Treat-Invigorating-Shampoo-8-5-fl-oz-250-ml-/110911066520?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Vitamins_Suppleme nts&hash=item19d2d09198

Haha, thanks! :D

Flor
August 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
I wish I could do this properly, but at the moment I'm trying to find a new routine. There's a lot of experimenting going on with oils, WO, natural hair washing products, henna/indigo and so on ;)

sofo
August 23rd, 2013, 11:22 AM
I'd say I have 2c (ii) fine hairs. Usually use conventional salon products. Have tried co-only with an itching scalp as a result. Recent change is I'm giving coconut oil a try. Pre-oiling before wash might be my magic solution. I love to wash my hair and how it feels and smells freshly washed and my scalp needs to be washed every other day. My hair is dry though. I'm hoping pre-oiling will help with that. I do think my scalp liked the coconut oil as well. Hope the effect lasts.

melusine963
August 23rd, 2013, 11:51 AM
I've recently started doing heavy oilings as a pre-shampoo treatment, and my hair seems pretty happy with that. Previously I was just using a little bit of coconut oil as a leave-in detangler. I've also moved somewhere with very soft water which my hair loves, although I can't really take full credit for that. :)

nobeltonya
August 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hair type: 2a/b / m/c / ii (3.5") - Classic length

Changed: Indian shampoos. I've been using them for years. But I'd run out and wasn't going to where I get them from (1.5 hrs away) so I needed something (daily washer). So I started using Suave Professionals lower sulphate shampoo, and stopped regularly oiling. Both b/c it was getting hot and b/c that shampoo didn't seem to work well with the coconut oil. I went through 2 containers of this (about 2 months) and my scalp started getting irritated and overly oily. It wasn't doing that when I was using the regular sulphate Indian shampoos. I am currently using Pantene Pro-V Everlasting Ends. It's working well so far, but after this I'm going back to Sunsilk or Dabur Vatika. I'm also currently using mineral oil w/amla and brahmi, when I generally only use coconut oil. My hair is softer, but applying such a thin oil to coarse hair is weird. :)

Stayed the same: I've used he same leave-in for 2 years now: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth. And my conditioner is one I used for almost that long: Aussie Miraculously Smooth. Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner also works well with certain shampoos. :disco:

QuillEnchanted
August 23rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
My hair: Just past waist length, 1c C ii. virgin hair.

Before: washing my hair once a week, CWC. Using a standard organic conditioner with cones, and either live clean shampoo or Dove Moisture Therapy shampoo. Alternating the shampoo each week. Using a Dove frizz serum on my ends to keep them calm/mositurized. I de-tangled in shower, after conditioning, with my brush *cringe*
Standard non-LHC brushing and toweling dry. No heat.
My hair shed a lot [always has] and there were tons of split ends.
I generally wore my hair down or in a braid.

Now:
Still washing only once a week.
I CWC starting with the Aubrey Organics conditioner on my ends, before I even get my hair wet. Then I wash my hair with the Aubrey Organics scalp therapy shampoo [I think this is cone and sulfate free]. I finish up by washing again with Alba Botanicals coconut milk conditioner, which has water-soluble cones in it. I de-tangle and finger comb while conditioning. Then I gently towel-dry my scalp, pat the length dry and let it finish air-drying down.
Once dry, I brush.

I've also taken to using coconut oil on my ends in hopes of preventing drying, split ends. I use just a bit of the body shop's coconut oil hair shine on my ends two days after wash[ish], and the day before wash day.

I've finally mastered the use of a hair stick for buns, so I'm braiding less and I think that is helping my ends stay nicer.

Three weeks in to the new routine, and I'm noticing less shedding when I wash my hair and when I brush it. The split ends are also taking a lot longer to re-populate. I did, however, try no-cones one week and ended up with a bunch of fairy knots as a result, thus I went back to using the Alba conditioner.

Stayed the same: Still using the same brands of conditioner. Still using a standard bad-for-your-hair pin brush because i lost my comb. Still using a regular cotton towel. Same washing frequency.

I think that's about it!

Leeloo
August 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
I started to leave coconut oil in my hair for 14 hours or more before wash (vs. and hour before with heat) after reading one of the postings here about some scientific research.

WilfredAllen
August 23rd, 2013, 02:05 PM
cool topic! I am now blow drying after I take my hair out from my hair towel to prevent having to damp bun it (and hopefully also prevent damage)
also gonna start using cocoa powder as dry shampoo just as soon as I get to the grocery store

emilyann
August 23rd, 2013, 02:06 PM
Awesome! This is a great way to keep up with changes that work and don't work for our hair. Sometimes I think I arbitrarily change something about my routine and don't remember what the result was, so this thread may help with that!

I like the "want to try in the future" addition that some of you have added :) I think I want to try suave coconut conditioner as my rinse out conditioner, after I cleanse with the tea tree tingle. It may help with protein for me.

Deekers
August 23rd, 2013, 02:26 PM
Shampooing less often, still working out an exact routine - just doing whatever feels right at the time. About once a week using a v05 hot oil treatment prior to a shampoo/conditioning.

This latest cycle is something like this, and all days involve air drying hair while wearing a soft/stretchy headband, then once partly dry, remove headband, later possibly using a claw clip of varying sizes to hold back part of hair:
Day 1 - shampoo and condition with tresseme naturals
Day 2 - comb with wide tooth comb, then spritz all over with mix of 3 parts water and to 1 part herbal essences honey i'm strong silkening spray (don't like using the full strength spray)
Day 3 - condition only with herbal essences coconut conditioner (needed to do something because was starting to seem greasy at the roots, needed to use up that particular bottle of conditioner)
Day 4 - rinse with water only then rinse hair with 1 liter of black tea (poured over head and didn't rinse out, let air dry)
Day 5 - ? this would be tomorrow depends on how the hair is looking at the time, possibly repeat of day 1

Coolcombination
August 23rd, 2013, 04:42 PM
Hair type:2a/b ii fine/medium
Before: co with tresemme naturals
Now: I use mega instant conditioner then naked shampoo and then a second conditioner, tresemme naturals. Co was leaving me with a greasy scalp and roots. Despite trying lots of conditioners it just wasn't giving me a clean enough scalp. If I'm due for a wash and my hair feels dry then I'll wash co only.

nobeltonya
August 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Aaaaaand I'm back to experimenting... per my husband's suggestion, I am going to try the Indian method: oiling every day (heavy night before wash) and shampoo every oher day. Today is the first day, where I only shampooed (still Pantene Pro-V Everlasting Ends) and lightly oiled after washing (mineral oil w/amla and brahmi). I heavily oiled (as well as I could with such a light oil) last night. I have to say that I'm not satisfied with the way my hair currently feels... it was horrible trying to comb w/o cones this morning also.. but we'll see how it adjusts after a week or so. I know I have to give it time to adjust, and I have to get used to this new routine. It was just so much easier with cones.. :disco:

littleghost
August 24th, 2013, 12:27 PM
I have recently switched to no cones and use Burt's Bees "Güd" shampoo and conditioner which I love and smells lovely. I also started using coconut oil in my hair as a leave in after showering and my hair seems to love it. Yesterday I did my first henna/cassia treatment and I am thrilled with the color and how my hair seems a bit stronger. The ends are still quite damaged from bleach/chemical dye/heat styling. So happy I found this forum, so many good tips here.

butterfly_dream
August 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I am experimenting with finger-combing. I only use my wide tooth comb before the shower now.
Unexpectedly my hair doesn't seem to be more knotty than usual, and I am getting waaaay less breakage.
I am thrilled for the moment. :)

~honeyflower~
August 24th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hairtype: 1A/iii/C

Before:Avalon Organics Lavandar shampoo and conditioner
ACV rinse
BBBing
Hair up often
Satin pillowcase
Wooden combs
Sometimes oiling with jojoba oil

After:
clarify once a month
CWC with White Rain Ocean Mist Conditioner and Alba coconut (I'm using that up, switching to Avalon mango shampoo next)
Fingercombing and sometimes combing
No oiling (low porosity)
Once a month ACV
No protein (made my hair dry and crunchy)

Since I stopped using protein,my hair feels very soft and it feels lightweight also bouncy. I think I found the right combo for my hair at the moment. When I CWC, I apply shampoo on top of my head and bend at waist and let my hair fall in front of my face and add more shampoo so my head is totally washed, but not the length yet.Then I rinse and move on to conditioner.

bunnylake
August 24th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I recently added sulfates back into my routine. I find they have no affect on my hair or scalp either way. Currently using Lush solid shampoo. I also finally bought a satin pillow case! I'm hoping it will help with the breakage I have all around the back of my head! Other than that, my routine is the same. Almost daily shampoo and condition, henna when I want, DT when I feel like it, braided for bed. Now here's what I WANT to change in the future: Wash a little less & DT once a week!

Stagecoach
August 25th, 2013, 06:56 AM
I was recently inspired to give my hair some TLC. I started wearing it down more, and realizing how much people like it in its current condition, inspired me to improve it again!

For the past couple years I have been S/C with GUD shampoo and an laundry list of conditioners that worked and didn't work.

Now, I am giving CO a try again. I am using Suave Everlasting Sunshine CO for my wash, Aussie Moist for my conditioner, Giovanni Direct Leave In, and Argan oil. I am also looking for a good Aloe Vera gel to use as my hair loved it years ago.

Beborani
August 25th, 2013, 08:02 PM
When I started reading this forum in January, I was using loreal shampoo and conditioner followed by Aveda Becurly or paul mitchell mousse. I had been folllwing that routine for more than 8 years. I had decent curls every day and did not have any serious issues with my hair. But my hair was getting thicker (due to minoxidil use) and longer (genetics) and I felt I needed to take care of the length as I wasnt planning to chop it off as I usually do. Last time my length was cared for lovingly was at 16 by mother/grandmothers. I didnt want to go back to 100% traditional care as it is not practical so figured I would use methods learned on these forums. I switched to cowashing--Suave Naturals and Vo5 left my hair tangly (and worse off) so switched to TJ 's tea Tree Tingle and it worked great. One problem solved. I liked both aveda and paul mitchell but I wanted to experiment with different leaveins especially conditioners without any 'hold'. I have used Say Yes to Carrots (first one picked up on a whim), Paul Mitchell The Conditioner(as I like the mousse), Giovanni Direct Leavein (as I like TJs line which is generic version of Giovanni). All three have been okay but I think I like Giovanni the best--it gives me the nicest shine like Aveda. I tried and returned after one use Ouidad leave-in (neither curled or straightened). I have also been oiling my hair (with sesame or grapeseed) prewash like childhood days and it maybe the best thing I am doing for my hair as it protects my hair when it is getting wet before wash especially as it gets longer. My hair is wavy curly 2b-3c.

i use coney serum whenever needed (sometimes after my hair is dried with leavein and sometimes second day). It gets washed off easily with cowash when hair is preoiled (hydrophobic interactions is my guess), so I dont get buildup. Another happy benefit of pre-oiling.

ladyfey
August 26th, 2013, 05:31 AM
I recently (after seeing a thread on it here at LHC) switched to a pH 4.5 shampoo. What a difference it has made for me! I no longer have to use my medicated (for seborrheic dermatitis) shampoo at all. My scalp is happy! I then also switched my body and face soap to the same and my rosacea dramatically improved. Thankful I made this change, wish I'd known earlier!

Vampyria
August 26th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Hair type: 2b, M/C, ii, shoulder-collarbone

Before:
- coconut oil pre-wash
- sulphate free shampoo (even before that I've used sodium coco sulphate shampoo- my scalp didn't like it and my hair was falling out like crazy)
- AO GPB conditioner
- coconut oil leave in

Recent change:
- I tried to dilute sulphate free shampoo: it kind of works, but my hair took forever to dry and seems a bit more frizzy
- henna-cassia
- because of henna had to change conditioner to Urtekram Aloe Vera

I will keep diluting my shampoo, because it's quite expensive and it doesn't last long otherwise.

allycat
August 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM
I recently (after seeing a thread on it here at LHC) switched to a pH 4.5 shampoo. What a difference it has made for me! I no longer have to use my medicated (for seborrheic dermatitis) shampoo at all. My scalp is happy! I then also switched my body and face soap to the same and my rosacea dramatically improved. Thankful I made this change, wish I'd known earlier!

Ladyfey, can you share what shampoo it is? I'm thinking of adding a smidge of ACV to my shampoo bottles to accomplish the same thing.

lulana
August 26th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Before: i used only Dabur Vatikar Oil and Shampoo

Now: I do deep Conditioning with Suave and Tresemme Conditioner and it works very well so far! The most striking Change is that the end are much more bouncy :o
the only thing what bothers me a bit is that after i washed my hair it gets very frizzy but i guess it has to do with our humidity

RitaCeleste
August 26th, 2013, 12:17 PM
I started using Pantene truly NATURAL hair conditioner awhile back. I usually just conditioner wash. I occasionally use moisture renewal shampoo if I feel I'm getting build up. I oil it with meadowfoam seed oil or coconut oil when its dry. I wash it about three times a week. And well that's it. Before I was using protein treatments occasionally and doing deep treatments and using other products. But really, my hair is pretty good without all that lately.

ladyfey
August 26th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ladyfey, can you share what shampoo it is? I'm thinking of adding a smidge of ACV to my shampoo bottles to accomplish the same thing.

Sure! It is actually a soapless bar I got off amazon.com. It is called Natural Beauty cleansing bar by Nature's Plus. I have been using it for face, body and hair washing.

allycat
August 26th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks, ladyfey!

Foxylocks
August 26th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Hair type: 1c/2a/F/M/ii
Before: Washed hair daily with a bar of soap.
Recent change: A few days ago, I stopped shampooing my hair daily. I've been letting just cool water run over my hair every day instead, out of laziness. :o

mary*rose
August 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Before: white vinegar rinses 3x/week, with occasional (maybe once every three months or longer) clarifying with baking soda. That's it. Seriously. For a year and a half.

After: CWC with VO5, Head n Shoulders green apple shampoo, and Head n Shoulders damage control conditioner 3x/week. Before I wash, I oil my entire length with olive oil (2 drops/third of hair), then massage a litte into my scalp. I also started combing my hair wet. GENTLY, so don't be too worried. It helps wick some of the water out so my hair dries sooner (which I need it to).

Same: I always use a comb, preferrably wooden, and most days, I use protective hairstyles like buns or braids. I also still use a vinegar rinse.

I stuck with the vinegar rinses for so long because I so wanted to switch to a WO routine. I was convinced that if I kept trying, it would work. Only when I had a lice scare and got a two inch trim did I realize perhaps I wasn't doing something right. The stylist said I had the worst dandruff she had ever seen. So...back to head n shoulders for now, because it got rid of my dandruff before. After only a week (this is a very recent change), I have no dandruff, so I'm going to cut back to once a week CWC and stick with my normal vinegar rinses the rest of the week. *goes to search for natural dandruff control*

which.chick
August 30th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Prior routine: wash with Suave rosemary & mint (probably has cones) shampoo and conditioner 3x per week, give or take. I didn't really know this was a thing, but basically my routine is "scalp hair gets the shampoo, length hair gets the bulk of the conditioner" sort of washing. Hair worn up in high-crown ponytail (thick no-metal goody elastics) most days. Braided at nape of neck for sleep.

New routine: wash 2x per week (not sure I want to change products yet, the cheap Suave works pretty well for me), wear hair up in friendlier styles that involve less handling (buns with sticks, forks, pins -- I'm getting thinning/damage on the braid tail and so I need to address that). Braided at nape for sleep. Light spritz of jojoba oil on bottom 6" or so once weekly for manageability and less breakage.

It's not a huge change -- reducing the shampoos by 1 per week, changing styles to less handling/more protective, and adding a 1x per week oiling on the bottom part. I'm planning on giving it a while (took some "before" pics this week) to see what happens. Probably by xmas I will be able to see what's going on.

samanthajenalyn
August 30th, 2013, 08:00 PM
My hair type is fine/medium with a few random corse strands, high porosity 1c/2a. Before lch, I would shampoo every day with sulfates, and follow with a conditioner loaded in cones. I brushed my soaking wet hair, and once it dried I would flat iorn it every day. I never used a leave in or heat protector. I would aldo dye it and get perms & then relaxers.
Now, after joining I have switched to only co washing a few times a week, using a leave in, and letting it air dry before finger combing it. I threw away all of my brushes & gave away my flat irons. I sometimes pree-poo with coconut or olive oil. My hair's condition has improved sooo much.

MunaZaldrizoti
August 30th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Hair type: Not totally sure, but it is fine.

Before: coconut oil, sweet almond oil.

Recent change: White vinegar rinses, coconut cream.

Stayed the same: Washing three times a week.

Sharysa
August 31st, 2013, 12:14 AM
Hair type: 1c-2a/C/iii; Just two inches from waist-length

Before: Air-dried it after my wash. Hair looked great, but could take FOREVER to dry. A couple hours to overnight is the usual range.

Recent change: Drying oiled hair in the sun for 5-10 minutes, then going into the sun for another few minutes after braiding my hair. My hair went from half-dry or wet to damp. Not only did it dry faster, it frizzes a lot less, feels ridiculously soft, and the waves are getting more defined.

Stayed the same: No heat styling, shampoo/conditioning products are the same, and I still oil my hair with the same mix of sweet-almond and sweetgrass after squeezing out excess water.