PDA

View Full Version : Horrid sores on scalp...

kiezel
August 22nd, 2013, 11:59 PM
Firstly I want to say I really love this community, I've never had much female presence in my life, and I'm finding that it's something I've missed out on. I'd never really gotten along with my gender either, but now I realise it's because the girls I'd been around were pretty immature....and non-hair oriented, hahaha.

So, HUGs to the entire forum!

Onwards to my hair issue....I found a shampoo that smoothed and softened my hair quite well a bout a month ago, Tsubaki White. However, I don't feel like the shampoo in that series cleans well enough, and as a result I have a kind of dandruff that's caused sores on my head. So I ended up using Head and Shoulders as a shampoo to fight the dandruff, but the thing is it makes my hair all brittle, no matter how hard I try to keep it away from my ends. (I'm APL)

Is there anything natural that I can use inbetween washes (every other day) that will remedy the dandruff? I was wondering if ACV would do anything to help, but I'm in an Asiatic country that doesn't really consume ACV, so I was wondering if plain white vinegar or other vinegars would help any...

Thank you!

trolleypup
August 23rd, 2013, 12:14 AM
Firstly I want to say I really love this community, I've never had much female presence in my life, and I'm finding that it's something I've missed out on. I'd never really gotten along with my gender either, but now I realise it's because the girls I'd been around were pretty immature....and non-hair oriented, hahaha.

Is there anything natural that I can use inbetween washes (every other day) that will remedy the dandruff? I was wondering if ACV would do anything to help, but I'm in an Asiatic country that doesn't really consume ACV, so I was wondering if plain white vinegar or other vinegars would help any...
I use plain white vinegar with good results...citric acid (similarly dilute) would also work. For me, a vinegar rinse after shampoo saves me all kinds of scalp issues. Of course, Your Mileage May Vary!

kme81
August 23rd, 2013, 01:24 AM
I'm another white vinegar user! It really cuts down on my dandruff. Don't give up if it doesn't seem to work, try different water:vinegar ratios until you find one that works. :) I hope vinegar helps solve your issue!

I'm so so so glad this community has been good to you! :grouphug:

sofo
August 23rd, 2013, 01:57 AM
You might want to see a doctor about it. Sores and dandruff does sound like it could be Psoriasis. Head and shoulders can actually help if you have that condition as well. Otherwise my tip is to oil the ends prewash to protect them and wash with what works for the scalp. Any oil would do for that purpose. Sores on the scalp might lead to hair loss and that is way worse than dry ends.

Rhoward
August 23rd, 2013, 02:02 AM
I agree with sofo that you should see a doctor. My son gets really terribly bad dandruff (but no sores) and I do a cassia treatment on him once a month and it keeps it under control, plus it makes his hair super shinny and reminds me to do one on my hair lol

Firefox7275
August 23rd, 2013, 05:23 AM

Onwards to my hair issue....I found a shampoo that smoothed and softened my hair quite well a bout a month ago, Tsubaki White. However, I don't feel like the shampoo in that series cleans well enough, and as a result I have a kind of dandruff that's caused sores on my head. So I ended up using Head and Shoulders as a shampoo to fight the dandruff, but the thing is it makes my hair all brittle, no matter how hard I try to keep it away from my ends. (I'm APL)

Thank you!

Dandruff is a lay term for flaking and sometimes itching which can denote any one of a number of dermatological conditions, sores is not what I would describe as 'dandruff' and I certainly would not recommend applying acidic vinegar to broken skin. I would also advise against oiling your scalp, some oils can worsen certain forms of dermatitis.

Self treating a self diagnosis can VERY easily do more harm than good: few here on LHC have any medical or healthcare qualifications. Please see your family doctor or a dermatologist, post back with your diagnosis and we can make long hair friendly, evidence based suggestions.

In2wishin
August 23rd, 2013, 08:24 AM
Dandruff is a lay term for flaking and sometimes itching which can denote any one of a number of dermatological conditions, sores is not what I would describe as 'dandruff' and I certainly would not recommend applying acidic vinegar to broken skin. I would also advise against oiling your scalp, some oils can worsen certain forms of dermatitis.

Self treating a self diagnosis can VERY easily do more harm than good: few here on LHC have any medical or healthcare qualifications. Please see your family doctor or a dermatologist, post back with your diagnosis and we can make long hair friendly, evidence based suggestions.

I agree with Firefox. One possibility (of many) that has come up from people's experience is that the sudden appearance of sores may indicate a reaction to one or more of the ingredients. Before you go to the doctor, list the ingredients of something you used before that didn't end in sores, and list the ingredients in the Tsubaki White (or just take both bottles to the appointment) so he can compare. The more info the Dr. has, the more accurate the diagnosis and easier the recommended treatment will be.

fairview
August 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Continuing to use a product that creates, causes or exacerbates a scalp disorder is quite akin to beating your head against the wall. It feels so wonderful when you stop. If you suspect the new shampoo is the cause of this problem then the first order of business I would suggest is to stop using it immediately. Scalp disorders can lead to hair disorders/loss both temporary and/or permanent. The second would be not to seek medical advice from a forum. Lastly I would see a doctor and take along the bottle of shampoo not so much perhaps for treatment but for an accurate diagnosis after which I can make an informed decision about treatment alternatives. Sores on the scalp could be psoriasis as previously mentioned, or ringworm, a symptom of an internal disorder unrelated to hair care regime, or simply as you suspect a reaction to one or more ingredients in the new shampoo. The problem with a simple reaction is that it can grow to an acute and serious life threatening allergy through repeated exposures.

Good Luck

kiezel
August 24th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for the advice--

I went to see a dermatologist (intern, hehe), and took my bottles of Head n Shoulders, and both Tsubaki shampoo and conditioner.

She first examined the sores, and told me they didn't appear to be fungal or from an allergic reaction.

We discussed the ingredients, and though I'm pretty sensitive to things, none of the ingredients seemed culprit.

And then she pointed at me.

"What are you doing?"

Me: "...nothing?"

"What are you doing with your hand?"

Me: "Just scratching my head."

"You're scratching your sore spots."

Me: "Oh..."

So....she told me that in the course of the visit she'd actually seen me aggravate my scalp several times, and then asked me about my habit.

Turns out (I dont' know why I didn't notice this) it's a nervous habit I have when I'm under a lot of stress or anxiety.
I've actually had these before, sporadically. Although I never thought it was -just- stress, each time seems to coincide with stressful times in my life.

So what she suggested is to wash my scalp more frequently with a very mild shampoo, to keep my scalp oil free, and give it a good environment to heal.
I mentioned egg shampoos, which I plan on using, and she looked at me with this slightly bewildered face, ahaha. :) But in the end said that in dermatological terms, that was mild enough.

So that's the latest advancement in my situation!

-tons of hugs-

kiezel
August 24th, 2013, 10:51 PM
P.S: So now I'm trying to figure out how to curb this bad habit....any suggestions as to how I can distract myself when I get the urge to scratch?

I used to bite my nails out of stress, but I fixed that by putting nail polish on my nails, but I can't paint my hair...:laugh:

I thought about using a bandanna around my head? To restrict access from my mischievous fingers?

Teazel
August 25th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Hi, kiezel! It's great that you've seen a dermatologist. :)

For me, wearing my hair up stops me from scratching at my scalp; the more complicated the updo the better, because I won't want to mess it up. :silly: A bandanna or scarf could be a good idea if your head doesn't get too hot underneath.

I see in your routine that you use conditioner "all over" - does that include on your scalp? Some people with skin problems (like me) find that conditioner on the scalp is bad news, you might want to try just using it from the ears down.

sagremus
August 25th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Maybe you could wear mittens/gloves if you are alone (i.e. reading a book, watching TV). Though this wouldn't work in public.

sofo
August 25th, 2013, 12:51 AM
And some products might make your scalp itch. It's very common from conditioner on the scalp. I always have this issue with a lot of products, usually the cheaper ones, salonproducts never had that effect on me. For me V05 used to work before I started using salon products instead. Weird is my dad always had the same issue and with the same brands. I'm thinking you could have a mild itching reaction that triggers your habit. And sadly everything usually itches a bit when it heals.

kiezel
August 25th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I see in your routine that you use conditioner "all over" - does that include on your scalp? Some people with skin problems (like me) find that conditioner on the scalp is bad news, you might want to try just using it from the ears down.

Yeah, recently I've begun to use it on my scalp too...I should probably stop that.

And <b>sofo</b>, I think you're spot on about that one too. I recently did a big global hop, and the shampoos and conditioners and even water is hugely different now. Even though I've scratched before, I've never had sores this bad.

<b>sagremus</b>, unfortunately mittens and gloves drive me crazy, ahaha.

kme81
August 25th, 2013, 03:02 AM
I had sores on my head when I was 12 or 13, I aggravated them just like you, I wouldn't even notice I was doing it! It got so bad that the sores became small bald spots (that dipped into my head!) because every time I pulled off a scab, I pulled out hair as well. I did something akin to quitting cold turkey, every time I noticed what I was doing, I used all my will-power to just stop right there! When my hair finally grew back in the bald spots, it grew back dark brown and curly...I'm blonde and straight otherwise! Really strange.

The main thing i recommend is will-power, but I second the idea of headscarves, they would probably help you notice when you aggravate the sores.

henné
August 25th, 2013, 04:49 AM
I have experience with that too ... my sores even got 'infected' (sounds horrid, doesn't it) and it took forever to get rid of them. I had to use medicated anti-fungal (or whatever) shampoos, etc. And I had to stop scratching, of course.

My scalp has always been super sensitive and what has been working the best for me lately is:
1. Stretching washes (went from 3shampoo washes to 1 shampoo and 1 water only wash per week)
2. Diluting my shampoo when washing
3. No conditioner anywhere remotely near the scalp. I put it only to my ends up to max my shoulders.
4. Freezing cold water on both my scalp and hair after washing and conditioning it.
5. Not using conditioner every wash, but only every other time. That is because some conditioner always seems to make it to my scalp just by handling my hair.

Just an example here. I hope you find what works best for you.

oddelabop
August 25th, 2013, 05:00 AM
castor oil contains ricin which acts as an anti dandruff agent :)

Remyy
August 25th, 2013, 06:34 AM
I find when I have a habit I'm trying to break it helps to tell people you're close with about it. Usually others notice stuff more easily than you would otherwise notice! Then, they can tell you to stop when they notice you scratching.

Firefox7275
August 25th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for the advice--

I went to see a dermatologist (intern, hehe), and took my bottles of Head n Shoulders, and both Tsubaki shampoo and conditioner.

She first examined the sores, and told me they didn't appear to be fungal or from an allergic reaction.

We discussed the ingredients, and though I'm pretty sensitive to things, none of the ingredients seemed culprit.

And then she pointed at me.

"What are you doing?"

Me: "...nothing?"

"What are you doing with your hand?"

Me: "Just scratching my head."

"You're scratching your sore spots."

Me: "Oh..."

So....she told me that in the course of the visit she'd actually seen me aggravate my scalp several times, and then asked me about my habit.

Turns out (I dont' know why I didn't notice this) it's a nervous habit I have when I'm under a lot of stress or anxiety.
I've actually had these before, sporadically. Although I never thought it was -just- stress, each time seems to coincide with stressful times in my life.

So what she suggested is to wash my scalp more frequently with a very mild shampoo, to keep my scalp oil free, and give it a good environment to heal.
I mentioned egg shampoos, which I plan on using, and she looked at me with this slightly bewildered face, ahaha. :) But in the end said that in dermatological terms, that was mild enough.

So that's the latest advancement in my situation!

-tons of hugs-

Glad you have had medical input and that you have a working diagnosis. Maybe wear a silk scarf or satin sleep cap when at home? Or take up a hobby/ habit that keeps your hands occupied at danger times (eg. whilst watching television). Some people find changing their routine slightly is beneficial in breaking a habit, odd stuff that wouldn't seem relevant like sitting in a different chair or swapping the order you do certain things in.

For stress be sure you are getting daily physical activity (at least 10,000 steps), plus eating a nutrient dense very low glycaemic index diet, especially long chain omega-3 and magnesium rich foods, plus stress management/ relaxation techniques. Lifestyle modification can be surprisingly effective and is backed by published research.

coffinhert
August 25th, 2013, 09:06 PM
First, white vinegar works for me.

Second, I had terrible sores on my scalp and discovered the following I NEED to prevent them from coming back: 1. Apply coconut/castor oil to scalp before washing, massage in and leave overnight worked best for me. 2. Vinegar rinse does help! 3. I can never sleep on damp hair, it makes the sores come back. Must always wash hair in morning so it can air dry fast. This was the final piece of the puzzle for me in really turning my scalp around. Oil and vinegar soothe my sores but fast drying prevents them.

Hope that helps and good luck... I know your frustration.

Elayne
August 25th, 2013, 10:46 PM
You still might consider a second opinion from a dermatologist. I also had persistent sores on my scalp for years and what seemed like dandruff. Not scratching certainly helped, although, supreme willpower seems pretty accurate with the crazy itching I experienced. Of course is all "magically" disappeared with I was finally treated for psoritic arthritis, after numerous mis-diagnoses of course.

Natalia
August 25th, 2013, 11:38 PM
I agree with citric acid and vinegar as well. Tea tree oil may be worth a look, you can also try leaving you condish on longer (if you use it) so help finish the cleansing process the shampoo is missing. You can mix TTO into your shampoo or condish as well

Natalia
August 25th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Thyme tea and raw honey rinses may be worth a thought

missannie
August 29th, 2013, 10:42 PM
I have this horrible habit too! I cannot keep my fingers out of my hair. It is a nervous habit and I always find myself doing it! Sometimes i wonder if that's why I shed so bad. I scratch and pick and I know I have to stop. My scalp get so irritated sometimes it burns. I know I do it when I am under allot of stress which I am right now. But, I have found that when I do a ACV rinse when my scalp is irritated that it actually makes it feel better and helps to heal it. Now I am not saying it would for everyone but it does for me.