PDA

View Full Version : How do I use Goldwell Elumen with highlights?

Vanoodles
August 22nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
I've been using Goldwell Elumen VV@3-10 for over a year now. I love the color for the first two weeks and then it starts to look dull. It gives me a nice overall violet color but that color literally drips out of my hair and onto my towels for a month until it settles in. By that time, the violet has turned to a watered down version of Kool-Aid grape.

After reading many posts, I decided to buy Prepare and Lock but I'm not sure how to use each of them when I get my highlights touched up.

My apologies, in advance, for the dumb questions. I've only found one salon that works with Goldwell and unfortunately, I can't afford them so I'm trying to maintain a vibrant color on my own.

About twice a year, I have my highlights professionally redone. Since my stylist doesn't use Goldwell products, I rush home (15 minutes) and then I apply the colour but I apply it to ALL my hair and not just the highlighted parts.

When do I apply Prepare and when do I apply Lock in this situation?

And when I'm just adding color in between having my highlights redone, how long do I wait to add the color after I apply Prepare? And how long do I wait to apply Lock after I've applied the color? Immediately?

I desperately need to color my hair. Thanks so much for your help.

blondzai
August 26th, 2013, 12:52 AM
i used to get elumen done all the time (i have that same color)..but i never had to use prep or lock and it stayed in for ages( but i went long periods of time without washing)
as far as i know though you apply the prep onto clean super dry hair until its completely wet. then before you apply the elumen dye you will need your hair to be super dry again. apply color and keep it on for 30-60 minutes under heat (if you dont use heat here it might be why you arent getting lasting color) then you apply lock after you have rinsed and washed out the color for 5 minutes and rinse super well. this is how i was told to do it...hope it helps. oh and make sure to remove any of the stray color off of your head and face before you apply the lock unless you want the color to stay on your face.

Vanoodles
August 26th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks Blondzai. I'm going to follow your steps and try it this weekend. Wish me luck!

blondzai
August 29th, 2013, 05:27 PM
good luck!!! i hope i dont steer you wrong :/

blondzai
August 29th, 2013, 06:24 PM
please tell me how it turns out