PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find blonde hair aging?

AmberLouise
August 22nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
Ever since I went back to my natural blonde from dyed black I feel like I look older. I also think blonde hair washes me out and makes all of my fine lines and wrinkles stand out more. Do any other blondes have this problem?

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 02:08 PM
:ponder: I’m not a blond but I always thought that blonde hair makes people look younger

lapushka
August 22nd, 2013, 02:58 PM
Ever since I went back to my natural blonde from dyed black I feel like I look older. I also think blonde hair washes me out and makes all of my fine lines and wrinkles stand out more. Do any other blondes have this problem?

Well I'm a dark (ash) blonde (light brown almost color), and I don't have that experience. Maybe you've just grown too used to having black hair and you don't like the blonde as much?

teddygirl
August 22nd, 2013, 03:00 PM
The wrong kind of blonde can definitely wash you out, but I've never found it makes someone look older.

Nini
August 22nd, 2013, 03:03 PM
Nope, always made me look younger.

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I guess it depends mostly on your complexion. And whether the blonde shade matches your type (warm/cold).

NuclearApple
August 22nd, 2013, 03:05 PM
I'm not blonde but I love blonde,and I think it doesn't make people seem older...maby on some persons that particoular blonde makes them look older,but I'm not sure.

Yozhik
August 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
I think generally blond hair makes people look younger, especially as they start to go grey. For me, I have 3-5 white hairs, and they stand out starkly against my almost-black hair, whereas for blonds, I know people who are in their 60s and still look elegantly white-blondish with their greying hair.

AmberLouise
August 22nd, 2013, 03:25 PM
lapushka- I do actually hate my blonde hair and loved it black, but my mom (who is very honest with me) also thinks it ages me, so I don't think it's all in my head (although some of it might be :p ).

As for skin tone I have very light skin with a lot of red/pink undertones, my hair is naturally a very golden blonde.

Brileeka
August 22nd, 2013, 03:45 PM
I think bleach blonde hair washes people out and can make people look older. I have like golden ashy dirty dishwater blonde hair. I'm not sure exactly what color it is. I've had highlights before and notice that when my hair is lighter it makes me look more washed out and paler. I think you just hair to get used to your hair color again.

chen bao jun
August 22nd, 2013, 05:39 PM
Yes, I have noticed this, but not with people's natural hair color. A lot bleached blondes look older than they are, I think because the color doesn't go with their skin (even if they were blonde as kids) so its like wearing an unflattering color right next to your face ALL the time.
There is also a kind of blonde that people do when they get older which is very aging. It doesn't look soft like the natural silvers or white you would expect after middle age, it is harsh. It looks expensive and high maintenance, but not very good, in my opinion.
But its all opinion, really, isn't it. I'm definitely not saying I'm 'right' about this, its just what I think.
I tend to doubt that your natural blond color is unflattering, your natural hair being unflattering is very rare, I think you might just need some time to figure out to change your makeup choices and the colors you wear, because what was working when you had the dyed hair won't look good anymore.
I do also think that while natural black hair looks good, black is the worst color of hair dye, much worse than blonde, harsh and aging in 99 percent of cases, even when you had black hair before and have gone gray.

ladylowtide
August 22nd, 2013, 05:40 PM
Nope. Looks pretty with grays in it. Bleach blonde is definitely aging IMO, if the tone isn't just right. I was once told by a hair dresser that one of the biggest mistakes older women make is going to dark with there hair when they have fair skin because every wrinkle stands out, but who knows maybe he was full of it.

My advice, don't listen to your mom when she says mean stuff, or at least take it with a grain of salt.

spidermom
August 22nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Actually, I find black hair very aging and harsh on most people. Not everyone. If you have black hair and wonder what I think, I think it looks great. Haha; no, but seriously ...

I recently had a temporary color (as below) put into my silvery blonde/white hair, and in comparing side by side pictures, I'm astounded how much the more silvery color washed me out.

grungy haze
August 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
I think it really just depends. I was a nice golden blonde as a child, and although I haven't seen my natural color since I was thirteen, I'm thinking it's sort of a dirty blonde still: the roots look brown against my bleached out hair but that's how they always are. I used to dye my hair sort of an ashy platinum blonde, and that made me look super washed out. But anything darker than the blonde spectrum makes me look washed out as I have light eyebrows, light facial hair, light body hair: I'm just suited to it. My facial features are also very subtle so they're easily overwhelmed by dark hair colors.

BlazingHeart
August 22nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
I'm wondering if tinting your hair with just a hint of red would help? I know with my pink undertones, I look better with a bit of red, ymmv of course.

AmberLouise
August 22nd, 2013, 06:34 PM
The black was harsh on me but in a "good" way, which probably doesn't make much sense. I just feel like I look SO old with the blonde... so blah. If you scroll down in the link there is a picture of me with black hair and a picture of me with blonde (although the blonde in the picture is dyed, it is very similar to my natural color). http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&page=1066&highlight=supershort

BlazingHeart- Actually red hair does look really good on me (I had red hair throughout highschool) but the reason I went back to blonde was because I wanted to have no maintenance.

chen bao jun- The whole makeup thing defiantly has been a pain. I've found as a blonde I have to at least wear some makeup to look okay but also that it is very easy to go over board on the makeup with blonde hair. Plus finding a natural looking eye brow color has proven very difficult. And all my poor black eyeliner? Out the window :p

Lady Mary
August 22nd, 2013, 06:44 PM
I think very light blonde hair is aging, however I believe I'd be in a minority on that. In the places I have lived recently (socal and south florida) blonde hair is incredibly popular. I'm an odd ball for wearing red or raven colors.

teela1978
August 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
I'm guessing you mean this post: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&page=267&p=2442490&highlight=amberlouise#post2442490

I think you look a lot younger with the blonde hair. It's probably a bit brassier than your natural color will end up being based on a picture you have of your natural growth in the giving up the dye/bleach thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155&page=95&p=2492787#post2492787). Perhaps thy yellow/red in the dyed bits are the problem rather than your natural color?

kitschy
August 22nd, 2013, 07:07 PM
Nope. I'm blonde and old - but I don't look older than I am.

Kaelee
August 22nd, 2013, 07:11 PM
I don't think you look older in those pics, just drastically DIFFERENT!

Try smoke or charcoal colored liner. Black is way to harsh for me even though I have dark hair and eyes. Right now I'm sporting 'espresso' colored liner.

AmberLouise
August 22nd, 2013, 07:29 PM
teela1978- My hair is mostly all natural now and the natural color is a lot less brassy but still very golden. I think it makes my face look really red. It's good to hear someone say I look younger with it... Now I just have to convince myself of that.

Kaelee- I hope I just feel this way now because of how different I look, I suppose it will take some time getting use to (I've only had blonde hair for 4 months). I have switched to using browns and grays on the eyes instead of black and your right they do look a lot better.

Teazel
August 22nd, 2013, 07:35 PM
You're 24 and you're worried about looking old? :lol: It's hard to compare those photos you linked to, as your hairstyles and makeup are quite different. Anyway, I thought the general wisdom (whatever that's worth) is that dark hair is aging. :shrug:

AmberLouise
August 22nd, 2013, 07:51 PM
Teazel- I suppose it does sound silly to worry about aging at 24 but the ladies in my family aren't known for aging well and it has me a bit worried... I don't want to add any years to my age if I don't have to :p

Komao
August 22nd, 2013, 08:20 PM
Do you wear makeup? You might need to change your makeup to give you more color and warmth? I don't know if its a myth but I always read you should go a shade or couple lighter (if you must) as you get older to soften your look?

thistledown
August 22nd, 2013, 08:42 PM
Yes I have, but never when it was natural.......mines a natural 7B and very ashy, I definitely looked better with red hair, my skin looked clearer and paler and my eyes popped. But the upkeep kicked my butt ;) I look very homogenous (read blah) with my natural hair, I just sort of blend, skin, eyes, eyebrows etc just blend in. So maybe your just used to popping more with the black hair?
Vanessa

Natalia
August 22nd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Im a natural blonde who doesn't think it flatters me in any way. I am pretty thin and with blonde hair I look more sickly. When I was the same weight with dark brown hair I looked healthier :shrug: go figure. My dark circles stand out more and my face look sunken as a blonde neither if which were big issues as a brunette.

thistledown
August 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM
I just checked out the pics and you look equally great in both to me, but if I had to I'd say you look a smidge younger in the blonde :)
Vanessa

AmberLouise
August 22nd, 2013, 08:51 PM
Komao- I do wear eye makeup sometimes but I don't wear foundation or anything like that.

thistledown- With my black hair (like you with your red hair) I felt like my skin looked more even/glowing and my eyes stood out more. I also think it made my facial features in general look more delicate and doll like. With the blonde I feel like one big pale blob, and maybe because everything kind of blends together I notice all my fine lines and stuff more which makes me look old.

sofo
August 22nd, 2013, 11:58 PM
I don't find the blond aging on you. I think its a better color for you actually, less harsch. I'm 30 and blonde and have to show ID when I buy alcohol.:) My mom is 61 and have shorter hair, she always colors it dark with some red tone in it but last time I saw her the sun had made her blonde. I actually found the blonde to make her look younger. The dark hair really did make you see wrinkles and fine lines more, also dark circles under eyes (she doesnt wear much makeup). My mother didnt agree with me and thinks she will make it dark again.

MonaLisa
August 23rd, 2013, 02:04 AM
I had blonde highlights and they did make me look older in my early 20s...:)

Stray_mind
August 23rd, 2013, 02:43 AM
I think it's not only the color of your hair it's also the complexion of your skin. Some people look younger with blond, others-older. I've never had blonde hair but i think with my complexion-my skin is quite white-i wouldn't look good in that color, though i don't look good in very dark colors either, i dyed it dark chocolate color once and everybody said i look 10 years older :D. It is important to pick the shade that goes well with your face.

Springlets
August 23rd, 2013, 03:21 AM
It's funny you say you think you look more doll-like with black hair, looking at the two pictures, I thought just the opposite! To me, you definitely look younger with blonde, and I think it suits you better. It does sound to me like you are just making the transition from two drastically different hair colors and needing to adjust everything that goes with it. I dyed my hair close to black in college for about a semester and was so happy that I could suddenly wear different colors, different make-up styles. Even after just 5 months or so, when I dyed my hair back to blonde, I needed to adjust my wardrobe, make-up, etc.

I think we have different skin tones, but I'll share these just for comparison.
Me with almost black hair (https://sphotos-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/4847_1078648766651_3942034_n.jpg)
Me with natural blonde (http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/SANY0405_zps62814f78.jpg)
Me with dyed blonde (http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz17/Blaircorneliabass/2323232327Ffp5393nu33654622465553258ot1lsi-1_zps73baf2a5.jpg)

I certainly feel that I look my best with my natural blonde, although in fact the black hair and dyed blonde hair are both when I was 3 years younger. If I had kept up with dyeing my hair either black or super light blonde, I think it would eventually have made me look older. Not to mention, no roots upkeep is just an amazing way to live. ;)

YamaMaya
August 23rd, 2013, 04:03 AM
I have dark hair and everyone thinks I'm younger than I really am, but that's not really definitive proof of the aging effects of blonde.

oddelabop
August 23rd, 2013, 04:19 AM
It is very subjective. Some people look old no matter what and some people look youthful. Blonde hair is associated with youth because it is more common in younger people and darkens as we get older.

I think any colour can look nice. The right colour for the skin is important. Although I agree wih what some people wrote here, it is rare that a persons 'natural' hair colour does not suit them.

gnome82
August 23rd, 2013, 04:40 AM
I had a look at your photos and I think that if I had a big change like you did I would maybe feel it was a style change? that lead to the feelings of looking older?

lapushka
August 23rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
Actually, I prefer you with the blonde, far less harsh and I think it looks younger. The blond really suits you, IMO.

jacqueline101
August 23rd, 2013, 08:16 AM
Im a blondette never thought it made me look old.

fairview
August 23rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
If you think you may be one of those rare people with a cool complexion blessed with a warm hair color I suggest you use an old school stylist trick that I was taught by me mentor. The next time you are in a store with school supplies pick up a piece of orange and green construction paper. When you get to the house crease each paper lengthwise and in front of a mirror place the crease under your chin with it the edges facing up. The reflection from one of the sheets will make you look like an extra from the series Walking Dead. The other will actually complement your complexion as compared tot the other. If the green is complementary then the cooler darker colors are for you. If it is the orange then stay with the blonde. I use this little trick for my guests who think they want to go all over blonde from a low level.

If you have been wearing the black for any length of period you probably adjusted your make up to the cooler side to match your hair color. You may need to readjust again and start using a warmer foundation and eye shadow. Cool make up colors will appear garish and hard and clash and contradict warm hair colors and vice versa.

I think it is a combination of waking up and seeing someone different in the mirror that you haven't seen in a long time and make up that may need to be warmed up a bit. IMO, you look fabulous with the blonde hair. I would gladly trade you with my snow white snow bank that sits atop of my scalp. LOL

patienceneeded
August 23rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Maybe it's a side effect of the culture of dying hair? Every "older" woman I know who follows societies norms and uses chemical dye to hide grey starts going blonde.

They maybe started dying in shades close to their natural color, but as they aged and the amount of grey they wanted to cover got more prevalent they were advised that going more blonde would hide the root-grow better. They get progressively blonder highlights and then start all-over dying, sometimes with highlights too. In order to hide the grey and make it less obvious that they have grey roots the blonde shade gets lighter and lighter. Eventually (like my Mom, Aunt, and MIL) they just have white hair.

Also, think about older women you know...what looks more natural and therefore less aging? The darker shade they had at age 24 or the natural variation of color that comes as hair begins to age and grey? Hair lightens as we age (for most). Grey, silver, and white hair is very light. Therefore, lighter hair colors look "better" as you age...in salon-speak. Skin needs change as we age, makeup colors and clothing palettes that we swore by in our 20's shift and adjust as we age and our skin and hair changes naturally.

Perhaps we associate blonde hair with youth as it emulates the lightening effect that happens naturally with aging hair, but in a socially accepted "youthful" color.

As it stands (me personally) I quit chemical coloring 4 years ago. I believe I have 100% virgin (never colored) hair now after my recent chop back to BSL. I have a fairly significant number of silver and white threads running through my hair (enough that my Mom comments on it...how my silver hair makes HER old. Lol. My step-dad likes it). It my hair color the same as it was 10 years ago? No - it's lighter, naturally. After watching my Mom and MIL spend YEARS and more money that I care to imagine trying to hide their hair color with blonde dye, only to end up with white hair (Mom) and Silver hair (MIL) anyway, I figured I'd skip the middle step (years of faking it) and just let the greys come as they will.

To quote a post I saw on Pinterest - "No, those are not grey hairs. That's glitter growing out of my head."

BlazingHeart
August 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
I think it is far more the style than the color that is making you look older. I accidentally got a somewhat similar cut when I was 20, and it made me look almost 2x my age! Mine was supposed to be a pixie, but it was cut badly and I looked like one of the Beatles if I left it alone or older if I side-swept it.

As a fellow pink-skinned gal, I can make a few suggestions re: makeup. You're in warm tones now, so your makeup should reflect that. Instead of a black or grey, try a soft brown for eyeliner, it really is much more flattering with pink skin and light eyes. I do best with kind of a mousey brown, which I thought would look awful but my mother pushed it on me - it really makes light eyes pop. Trade your mascara in for a tube in brown-black as well. For eyebrow pencils, I usually go one shade darker and a hint ashier than my hair - much darker than that and it tends not to look natural.

Syaoransbear
August 23rd, 2013, 01:04 PM
Well, you are older than when you had black hair.

But I think your entire style was more youthful with the black hair, which has nothing to do with the color.

Magalo
August 23rd, 2013, 01:06 PM
Bleached blonde make everybody look older and washed out. A natural blonde (or just a well-done, natural looking dye job) look great. But I always thought a dark brown mane looks younger.

spidermom
August 23rd, 2013, 01:16 PM
Hmmm, I think maybe it's the haircut making you look older rather than the color.

PraiseCheeses
August 23rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
In my eyes, the blonde definitely has a "fresher" vibe to it.

rose313
August 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
I agree with everyone who said the tone of your blonde and your skintone can make all the difference. Some look best with golden blonde, some neutral, some with ash. I look best with different tones of blonde and highlights instead of one flat color. Platinum makes my skin look paler and ruddy. Took me years to find my perfect blonde. Yours looks great btw.

massivecnqstdr
August 23rd, 2013, 03:21 PM
My mother just admitted that she thinks I look a lot older when I do my hair light blonde or platinum. Fortunately, the option to fry my hair to blonde is unavailable since I've henna'd now :cool: I don't really think this problem occurs for everyone, though. But I do relate to what you're saying! I think with fair skin, the darker hair provides contrast and, ultimately, distraction!

Foxylocks
August 23rd, 2013, 04:14 PM
I think that whatever blonde you have should match your complexion, and it won't age you. My natural blonde hair is pale and shines silver in some lights. In other light it can look darker. I don't it ages me in any shade though.

88Marisa
August 25th, 2013, 02:40 PM
If you're thinking you look older, it's probably because your makeup and clothing colors are not optimal for your hair and skin color combination now that your hair's blonde. My mom looks a lot like you, skin color wise, but her hair is dark brown naturally. She wears bright flashy colors a lot (jewel tones and even neons), because those look good with her skin and hair. But since you're a natural blonde, you're not going to look good in those combinations. I would recommend you check out the seasonal analysis colors, which I strongly suspect are for you a Bright Spring (with blonde hair), and in the past you were wearing colors intended for a Bright Winter. There's an underlying difference in tone, Spring is more bright yellow and other warm colors, and Winter is more blue and cool colors. Regardless of what your hair color is, wearing colors meant for a different season will age you.

There is some decent color theory behind it all, calling them seasons is just a way to help remember it better. I think Pretty Your World (http://www.prettyyourworld.com/16-season-color-analysis.html) has a good 16 color analysis system, so although much of the material on the site is still outdated info on the 12 color version, if you're one of the original 12 seasons the info is still quite accurate, and it's easy to find other blogs with more information once you know what season you are.

When I stopped dyeing my hair, I had to go through a similar process. My haircolor while dyeing was a brassy golden blonde color, so all my wardrobe was based around colors that contrasted well with that, but as my natural hair color grew in, I noticed that I looked better in toned/medium-saturation/greyed out colors, so I started going through my wardrobe and tossing out the old stuff that didn't flatter me any more (something we should all do once in awhile anyway). I don't wear black near my face anymore, instead I'll choose a dark charcoal grey, which has the same effect as wearing black, but in a color that suits me better. I use plums and browns for my eyeliner and mascara now instead of black. Overall, I feel like I understand a lot better what colors to wear and why, and it helps me make better decisions when it comes to whether to buy something or not, or whether to toss/donate old stuff. The funny thing is, I think most people subconsciously pick things that are flattering colors for them, but when you go through a hair color change that puts you in a different season, you need some time to recalibrate to the new spectrum of colors.

Kherome
August 25th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I agree that blond hair seems to age people.

alyanna
August 25th, 2013, 07:33 PM
I have light chestnut brown hair with some gold tones naturally. I spent a few years adding blonde highlights and I did find I didn't like my skin color in the highlights. Stylists always gave me more ashy blonde highlights while my natural ones were warmer. My complexion is cool-toned though.

I just hennaed my hair and the copper tones look GREAT with my coloring. My skin looks creamier and rosier and I think I look younger. So I do agree with you in that regard.

MonaMayfair
August 26th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I've VERY often thought blonde hair ages people too. OP you look gorgeous with black hair. I'd love to have black hair myself, but it doesn't suit me. I think I look better with brown hair than my natural blonde though, I go as dark as I can get away with.

FuzzyBlackWaves
August 27th, 2013, 06:26 AM
In general I think blonde hair can look quite aging. I don't think it's always the case with natural hair, but bleach certainly tends to make me think people are older. When I bleached mine at around 13 people guessed I was 18-ish, now that my hair is black people constantly ID me for things, though I'm a few years over the age limit.

april17
January 1st, 2017, 11:01 PM
Am not blonde, though I love blonde and may someday go blonde if my hair gets grey/white enough someday -- am 46 right now.

I think that blonde hair usually seems to make people look younger. Though there are 2 blonde situations I see that sometimes make older people look older than they are:1) blonde with a dark tan 2) solid blonde hair color with absolutely no highlights or lowlights to make it look most natural--the solid blonde is like a giveaway clue to a bleach job..

Rosetta
January 2nd, 2017, 01:21 AM
I think that blonde hair usually seems to make people look younger.
That's the common misconception, unfortunately... I agree with the OP, blonde hair can be aging, and definitely doesn't suit everyone. It totally depends on your colouring. For some it can be fine, but IMO, for the majority it's more aging than the other way round.

FWIW, the owner of this site www.12blueprints.com has talked in several of her articles why blonde is often aging, though it's often recommended for "looking younger", and really not for everyone.

LadyCelestina
January 2nd, 2017, 02:26 AM
I don't think blonde is aging. Most peoples hair goes lighter as they age anyway. But "aging" says nothing about whether it looks good or not, well gray hair is theoretically "aging" but can look pretty nice, even nicer than dyed hair.

I think badly done makeup can age people a lot.

Gothic
January 2nd, 2017, 05:09 AM
Hair color is a weird thing - in my case bleach/white blonde made me look like a porcelain doll, black made me look like a little girl, I loved both of them. When I had my natural color (golden blonette) around 13 people always thought that I'm over 18.

Mimha
January 2nd, 2017, 06:38 AM

I'm not sharing this point of view at all : light hair color makes pale skin less contrasting, on the contrary. But it is my own perception, of course. And I also think that it allows to go gray much easier too, as the silver threads and the blond ones gradually mix together softly.

vampyyri
January 2nd, 2017, 06:50 AM
I'm blonde, and I definitely get people guessing that I'm 5-7 years younger than I am, and really get the side-eye when I go to pick up a bottle of wine and get a really incredulous "Can I see your license, miss?"

So I'd have to say no :lol: but then again I think age has a lot more to do with the face, not the hair surrounding it. I'm about as pale as paper with oily skin (which helps immensely), and if it's any consolation, my mother didn't have a single wrinkle at 58 when she passed... I have good genes for looking young.

I mean, if it's aging then I'm definitely an outlier here. Or if it's growing out of your head naturally, you're probably fine. Bottle blondes can be a total different story, since it's hard to replicate all of the natural tones that come with being blonde.

Rosetta
January 2nd, 2017, 09:33 AM
I mean, if it's aging then I'm definitely an outlier here. Or if it's growing out of your head naturally, you're probably fine. Bottle blondes can be a total different story, since it's hard to replicate all of the natural tones that come with being blonde.
Yeah, in my post I meant mainly artificial blondes, the way women are usually advised to go blonder when they get older (nothing that would concern people of your age yet ;)), and that it's definitely not an advice that would suit everyone or enhance their look, for many it's the contrary.

On that tangent, nowadays I think dyed hair is very often aging, and natural hair is the opposite... But maybe that's just me.

lapushka
January 2nd, 2017, 04:15 PM
My mom naturally has black hair, then always colored it auburn or red. When she started to gray for *real*, she went blonde, because then the roots would "fall into place" better. Gray outgrowth on darker colors can be aging, IMMHO, and obvious, so I don't think blonde is aging. I disagree with that.

spidermom
January 2nd, 2017, 05:05 PM
Being naturally blonde, I'd have to say no, blonde hair is not aging, at least not natural blonde. My I.D. was checked for almost every alcohol purchase until I was in my early 30s.

On the other hand, I think dyed black hair can be extremely aging. To my eye, it deepens every line on the face.