PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad that I'm not trimming?

ProverbsGirl
August 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
I'm at the beginning of my journey. I'm at APL now and wanting to hit BSL by Christmas. *crosses fingers* My goal after that is waist..after that? Who knows.
The last time I had my hair cut/trimmed was last oct/nov (I think). I no longer blow dry, curl or straighten my hair and avoid damage. It is still looking healthy.
Is it OK that I am not getting any trims?

DarkCurls
August 22nd, 2013, 11:37 AM
Nope, not bad. You should only trim when you feel your hair needs it (or when you want to), and not trim every three months (or any other set number) because someone told you that's what's right. There are lots of people here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2188) who don't trim often (I used be one, until I decided I wanted to get rid of my layers). If you find you don't get many splits, or you don't mind the splits, and your ends feel pleasant enough for you... why would you want to trim?

chen bao jun
August 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
You'll find out if it is. It varies.
A lot of people can go without trimming, especially if their hair is up.
There are few who need to trim or it splits but if you find this out, you can start trimming then with no harm done.

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 11:57 AM
There is no need to trim your hair unless you have a lot of split ends or want to change the shape your hair falls into. If you S&D and try to prevent mechanical damage as much as possible you shouldn’t need trims.

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2013, 12:01 PM
S&D is basically cutting off individual split ends, so you don't really lose length ;) It gets me through almost a year without trimming :) So yeah, I'd also recommend it.

Hootenanny
August 22nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
I've only had one trim in the past two years, and it was just to even out my layers. Some people don't need to trim very often, while others do. If your hair looks good, skip the trims! You'll certainly get to your goals more quickly! :)

NuclearApple
August 22nd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Why should it be bad?if your ends get damaged id better trimming but if they are healthy it's useless,it makes your hair shorter and the journey gets slower.
Happy growth! :D

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2013, 01:02 PM
I'd recommend trimming as you need to. If your hair is healthy don't trim.

norths
August 23rd, 2013, 01:23 AM
I am actually in the same boat as you. I only cut of split ends when I find them. My last hair cut was Aug last year. And my hair is perfectly fine and healthy.

Flor
August 23rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
My ends don't split at all (I've searched and searched, there's nothing to destroy), but I still find that regular micro-trimming (1/4 inch every few months) helps my hair to detangle easier at the ends. I can't explain it, really, but it just seems that periodically refreshed blunt ends work better for me.

ravenheather
August 23rd, 2013, 07:18 AM
I haven't trimmed in 2 years. S&D a couple of times. I don't have split ends. I do have taper but I am ok with that since I want to grow to terminal anyway. So I will ignore that.