PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice about leave in conditioner

bayleafwish
August 22nd, 2013, 03:53 AM
Hi there, I'm trying my best to reduce damage to my ends and I have stopped using a hair dryer, always tie my hair up and I am wondering should I introduce a leave in as a part of my routine? I've never even purchased one before but have tried making my own with watered down conditioner and coconut oil. So should I use a leave in and if so does anyone have any recommendations? Also I wash my hair every other day on average, is it too much to use a leave in each time or not? I have slightly wavey mid back length hair that gets greasy quite quickly at the moment. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Firefox7275
August 22nd, 2013, 06:35 AM
Which country are you in?

Many wavies and curlies use a leave in conditioner at every wash, whether that works for you depends on your hair properties and needs and the product you choose. A true conditioner is based on fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants, many products marketed as leave ins are more detanglers or moisturisers than conditioners. Many wavies and curlies use our rinse out conditioner as a leave in conditioner but we do pick products/ ingredients that resist building up.

If your hair is getting greasy quickly look at how harsh your shampoo is (any sulphates, anionic surfactants, alkaline soaps?) and what ingredients are in all your products that might build up. Ingredients that can build up include many silicones, butters, some polyquats, waxes like cetyl esters, petrolatum/ mineral oil. If you like silicones those that resist building up include the water soluble ones (prefix PEG-) and the amino subgroup (eg. amodimethicone).

If you have old heat styling damage beneficial ingredients include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. I use the Komaza Care Matani repair treatment spray (as well as a leave in conditioner), like the look of the Matani leave in conditioner which contains several of these ingredients.