PDA

View Full Version : Why do some shampoos and hair products have no expiry date?

Dreamkitty
August 22nd, 2013, 03:45 AM
I tried looking for the expiry date for my shampoo and a conditioner which I have not used for a while. I can't see any expiry date at all and I don't know whether I should use it? Im wondering what is the reasoning behind why the manufacturers don't put any date? :)

Stray_mind
August 22nd, 2013, 04:04 AM
I guess there is something in them that makes them last "forever" or simply because they get used up soon enough so they don't expire... I actually don't know, a couple of days ago i searched for expiring date on the bottle of my conditioner and didn't find any, i decided not to use it though because it's probably a few years old now.

sofo
August 22nd, 2013, 04:28 AM
Usually its labeled to last 6 or 12 month after being opened. Mostly because of regulations (at least in Europe manufacturers have to mark the bottles). They usually last way longer than that. I just used up a schampo bottle that was at least 2 years old and still worked fine. If the bottle isnt opened it have not been exposed to bacteria from hands using the product. The preservants are usually very effective in schampoo and conditioners, but if you know you have been exposing it to some nasty bacteria you might want to throw it away after a year or so. Otherwise, if it smells ok and isn't separated its fine to use.

DarkCurls
August 22nd, 2013, 06:07 AM
Wait, these things can have expiration dates? I didn't even know. After seeing this post, I've just checked all my products and none of them have an expiration date.

faellen
August 22nd, 2013, 06:13 AM
It's not really a specific date as such, usually there's a pic of a little open pot with "12M" or another number on it, telling you the number of months it's good for. Just checked the various bottles in my bathroom, most of my shampoos and conditioners have 24 months on them but my mum's Dove stuff have just 12.

NuclearApple
August 22nd, 2013, 06:16 AM
some time ago I decided to put in order my shampoo collection,and I noticed too bottles have no expiration date,but I had to throw most of them away cause they were there for over years...so better don't use old products if already opened,throw away.

Firefox7275
August 22nd, 2013, 06:23 AM
I tried looking for the expiry date for my shampoo and a conditioner which I have not used for a while. I can't see any expiry date at all and I don't know whether I should use it? Im wondering what is the reasoning behind why the manufacturers don't put any date? :)

Because before opening they are sterile chemical soups, they won't really go 'off' unless you introduce microorganisms with your fingers, the air, adding ingredients then storing them in a nice warm damp place (shower cubicle). The clock starts ticking when you open the product.

Buddaphlyy
August 22nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Because there is not really a standard time on when products technically go bad. Also, until the product is opened, it hasn't been exposed to anything the could change it's composition to make it 'expire' quicker. I personally do a sniff and feel test before I decide whether or not to toss a product. If it still smells and feels the same as when I opened it, I just keep it but make a mental note to immediately start using it.

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 12:01 PM
I guess all the ingredients in the formulation of that shampoo do not go bad. I’d judge by the smell of the product first and then by performance.

Flor
August 22nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
There are two types of expiration dates. One is "shelf life" and according to European regulations, manufacturers are not obligated to state shelf life expiration dates on hygiene products, if it's longer than 30 months and most hair care product do have longer shelf life.

Then you have "period after opening" expiration dates and those are required to be specified (for products with shelf life longer than 30 months). It's usually a drawing of a pot with open lid and a number inside. Most commonly it's 6, 12, 24, 36 months. It's known as MINIMUM durability. Means that the manufacturer guarantees that the product retains all it's qualities for AT LEAST that much time.

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
Oh wow I didn't realize products expired. I didn't realize that pot and number was the expiration date.

sofo
August 23rd, 2013, 04:21 AM
If its smells ok and feels ok, its good to use. It's not like you are going to eat it anyway. :)

lapushka
August 23rd, 2013, 05:25 AM
As long as you don't open them, you should be able to keep products for a long time (even if you open them). We've got a stash of products here and not one has yet gone bad. They've been here for a few years already.