PDA

View Full Version : Heavily scented hair oils?

czech it out
August 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for a hair oil/oil-based leave-in with a strong and lasting scent? I'm using vanilla scented monoi oil right now, which smells quite strong but fades quickly. I'd love to have something that leaves my hair smelling nice all day.

I prefer more artificial, perfume-y scents to natural ones. So, while I'm not opposed to using something scented with essential oils, it would probably need to be more floral than foresty. Also, feel free to leave recipes if you've made a particularly fragrant concoction!

norths
August 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM
i used to use this argan oil/serum it was alright smelling but it was pretty light, now i sometimes i rubbed in a bit of lavendar EO into my scalp after i wash my hair, for me its pretty heavy scented and floraly because every now and then when i move around i catch a whiff of it, even a couple of days later.

Leeloo
August 21st, 2013, 09:21 PM
I've never tried scented oils in my hair, I'm not sure but I thought they might be too drying for hair.

Kaya
August 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
I was poking around my favorites on Etsy and I came across these body splashes/hair perfume sprays. The ingredients seems fairly tame. I've never ordered from this shop, but it's got outstanding feedback and those scents seems awfully tempting! :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/doctorsweettooth?section_id=5116735

breezefaerie
August 22nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
BPAL now has scented hair oil too.

meteor
August 22nd, 2013, 01:09 PM
Rose (rosa damascena) essential oil smells DIVINE! It's hands down the best thing I've ever smelled. It has a very long tradition in perfumery.
It's very good for dry and ageing skin, so it's probably nice on scalp, but nothing special for hair.
Unfortunately, it costs way more than any other essential oil I know.

YamaMaya
August 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
I would advise you that many of the perfumed ingredients are rather harmful and harsh, and also, smelling some artificial scent all day would get rather sickly (at least in my experience). Also remember that just because YOU can't smell it anymore doesn't mean the scent isn't there. Your nose will get used to the smell and eventually you simply won't smell it anymore. Don't be "that girl" that smells like a department store perfume department.

Othala
August 22nd, 2013, 01:29 PM
I apply a perfume directly on my hair when I want it heavily scented. I fist apply Camellia Japonica oil on wet/damp hair and when my hair is almost dry I apply the perfume. I am into the ambrox molecule so like things to smell leathery/musky rather than floral, but I see no reason why you could not use a floral perfume in this manner. Bear in mind, I could not do this on my dyed hair as the perfume would change/strip the colour. I now have my natural grey/white hair so no problem.

battles
August 22nd, 2013, 01:40 PM
I don't use hair oil, but I do a small dab of BPAL on my hands and then rub it together and run it over my hair. The scent usually stays until I wash it, depending on how strong the particular oil is. I love putting it on before putting my hair up, I can smell it each time I take my hair down.

They do have hair glosses (http://blackphoenixtradingpost.com/category/hair-gloss/) also, as breezefaerie mentioned. :)

TiaKitty
August 22nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
I want to try the BPAL soooooooo bad!

teddygirl
August 22nd, 2013, 02:16 PM
Aromatherapy associates sells a hair oil ($$$$) and it smells amazing.

It is mostly natural scents but it has a purfmey quality to it that I love.
http://www.aromatherapyassociates.com/bath-and-body/product-type/hair-care/enrich-hair-oil.html

McFearless
August 22nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Nightblooming hair salves (www.etsy.com/ca/shop/NightBlooming) smell so so good.

czech it out
August 26th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied!

I was poking around my favorites on Etsy and I came across these body splashes/hair perfume sprays. The ingredients seems fairly tame. I've never ordered from this shop, but it's got outstanding feedback and those scents seems awfully tempting! :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/doctorsweettooth?section_id=5116735

I ended up buying one of these in the 'diva' scent. Thank you Kaya for suggesting them. I will definitely keep the thread updated on how well it works. :)

Brittany
August 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM
This isn't an oil, but something I like doing is letting incense waft through my hair. Obviously don't get too close to it though!:p The smell stays in all day when I do this--though if you don't like incense smells then this won't work for you.

RavennaNight
August 26th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I have this really great jasmine scented blended essential oil (I don't think it is a pure EO) that I mix a few drops with my coconut oil and it smells heavenly all day.

jacqueline101
August 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I use one n only argan oil it's kinda strong scented.

TiaKitty
August 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM
You could mix pretty much any EO with some oil that your hair likes...