PDA

View Full Version : No trims until TBL.

TheIronMaiden
August 21st, 2013, 03:02 PM
I decided that I don't want to trim until I reach my durrent goal length (TBL), which means that I won't trim until probably February-March next year. I do have fairy tail ends, but I'm not having any breakage, so my hair will grow. The longest I,ve been going without a trim before is probably around three months, but I've also been a scissor-happy trimming freak who maintained BSL for almost three years when I thought that I was growing to WL. The last time I had a trim was before the summer, in May. I really need some help to do this, because right know I can't imagine what my ends would look like when I get there. Still, my ends don't seem to get any thinner or damaged right know. I sleep with a braid wear my hair up a lot more than I used to do. I do S&D occasionally, when I'm not too lazy to do it.

BlondeWavyGal
August 21st, 2013, 03:08 PM
No trims certaintly makes the journey faster, and its not as if ends are some dangerous thing that needs to be chopped off. Good luck on your growing!

TheIronMaiden
August 21st, 2013, 03:17 PM
To me, ends are a very dangerous thing. :p I also remember when someone told me that the reason why a friend asked me if I wore hair extensions is because my ends are so thin and damaged, that they look like that cheap, absolutely horrible plastic hair you can buy in some beauty stores...

spidermom
August 21st, 2013, 04:00 PM
I truly like the look and feel of regularly trimmed hair the best. As long as we are careful not too trim off too much too often, I think trimming is preferable.

The last time I went one year without trimming, I grew 7 inches of new length and had to cut off 7 inches at the end of the year because they were trashed to the max - thousands of split ends that clung together like Velcro. Ick!

TheIronMaiden
August 21st, 2013, 04:11 PM
I will maintain TBL with monthly trims when I get there, and I do S&D, so I think it can work out. But I also prefer regularly trims, it's just that I feel like I've been chopping all of my growth off.

Hairitic
August 22nd, 2013, 11:01 AM
I'm right there with you. I last trimmed in June and am currently at BCL. I should reach TBL around the end of the year. I plan on maintaining there till I'm sure my ends are good and healthy before moving on to CL ;)

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
I think it's possible to achieve with no major.. weirdness :) the longest I went without a trim was 11 months with occasional S&D and the ends were lighter and thinner, since they were also my layers from some 2 years back. So yeah, good luck on your journey :)

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
I’m with you. I think with regular S&Ding it shouldn’t be a problem. I’m trying out catnip rinses to prevent damage.

Leeloo
August 22nd, 2013, 12:33 PM
I’m with you. I think with regular S&Ding it shouldn’t be a problem. I’m trying out catnip rinses to prevent damage.

Skade
August 22nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
I also remember when someone told me that the reason why a friend asked me if I wore hair extensions is because my ends are so thin and damaged, that they look like that cheap, absolutely horrible plastic hair you can buy in some beauty stores...

What a rude comment. That person would have been better off keeping quiet.

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I hope you can go no trims. I tried and failed I found my layers to be a pain but I'm going to try it again.

meteor
August 22nd, 2013, 12:53 PM
I think it's a good idea. It sounds like you protect your ends really well, and regular S&D'ing will ensure that you are always watching your ends and will prevent any issues.
I'll happily join in your challenge :) , and I'm a couple inches away from BCL/TBL right now.

What a rude comment. That person would have been better off keeping quiet.

I agree. Seeing your gorgeous hair, my guess is the person was just envious. What did her hair look like?

Eve 322
August 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
I had my hair about half an inch above BCL by this June, and I trimmed about two inches off of that because my ends weren't exactly "fairytale," they were more like "scraggly" ends. Now I'm between waist and hip again, and let me tell you that for a week I was mourning the loss of those inches (it always feels SOO much shorter the first time you wash after a trim!)

But in the end, it was better. All my splits are gone, my ends look healthy and beautiful, and I got some long layers so that I have that gentle "V" hemline I've always admired on other people. (Long layers allow you to trim higher up on pieces that have worse split ends without chopping all the hair off.)

It's important to mention that I did not trim for 3+ years previous to this 2-inch trim. I like to go 2 or 3 years with NO trim whatsoever, and then go to my stylist (lucky enough to have found a woman who respects my long hair and does ONLY what I ask). I ask how much I need to take off to get rid of splits, and she does it. Doesn't feel like I'm cutting off all my growth this way. Over the 3+ years I went from a bit below BSL to BCL and only had to cut 2 inches in the end.

Now, I have 2 friends who follow the "must trim every 6-8 weeks for healthy hair" rule. They swear by it, and are also (trying) to grow out their hair. One of them has gained a whopping like 2-3 inches in the past 3 years, and in the other I can see no discernible difference in length.

Just figured I'd share my experiences in hopes it will make you feel better about no-trim. IMO it really is the way to go if you want to grow out your hair...it just takes patience. Patience to grow with you split ends, knowing you will trim them off once you get to a certain "goal length" or the ends cease being fairytale ends and start becoming horror-story ends.

Mononoke
August 22nd, 2013, 03:18 PM
I haven't trimmed my hair for more than 2 years (except for some S&D), and am currently a bit past hip and growing to TBL, so we're in a similar situation :)

Brileeka
August 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
I'm so close to bcl right now and I don't want to trim because I want a solid bcl but I also want to even out my ends before I have to go back to school.

TheIronMaiden
August 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Blonde Wavy Gal and Martyna_22: thanx for the good lucks, it definitely helps a lot! :-)

TheIronMaiden
August 22nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
Meteor: Her hair is about SL, and at that moment she had a really bad perm, that just made her her look frizzy, not really curly or wavy. But I also have to say that the health of my hair has improved A LOT since then. S&Ds, honey and coconut oil have really saved it. I can agree on that it was quite bad, when I was still using chemical dyes and wearing it out all the time, even winter time. It's still a rude comment, though. Especially since she's known me since I was five years old. But I know her well enough not to take everything she too hard.

TheIronMaiden
August 22nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
I'm so close to bcl right now and I don't want to trim because I want a solid bcl but I also want to even out my ends before I have to go back to school.

You can always wear it up, if you feel like your hemline is too uneven, and then trim it gradually to get it more even.

TheIronMaiden
August 22nd, 2013, 04:27 PM
Blonde Wavy Gal and Martyna_22: thanx for the good lucks, it definitely helps a lot! :-)

ladylowtide
August 22nd, 2013, 05:48 PM
Me too! I'm not trimming until TBL... well I think actually I'll wack it back to hip once I get to TBL. I'm a couple inches from hip right now, and I haven't trimmed in... 3 years (last cut was shoulder length july 2010). I like it this way I have been speeding through all the awkward lengths (my gods I hated APL). I had to start S&Ding this summer :/ I have old bleach and dye damage at the bottom that just couldn't do 3 years without trims or cuts without getting some splits.

Good luck on reaching TBL with no trims. Its definitely doable if your not prone to splits. I put my hair in low pigtails and do deep treatments on the lengths in quart baggies (looking like a crazy person), but keeps the ends nice!

Eve 322
August 23rd, 2013, 12:15 AM
Ladylowtide, we're in the same position. I am an inch or two above hip length, and I'm not trimming until TBL, or whenever I have enough length to cut the "bad" ends back to hip and no shorter. I'm excited!

TheIronMaiden
August 23rd, 2013, 02:05 AM
Ladylowtide: I agree on that some lengths are just awkward states while you're growing. To me, hip has been such a state. It's just like waist but a little too long... BSL is also a tricky length for me. Not that it's not good looking, but it's too short to really be long, and far too long to be a hairstyle, like SL, which is my favorite short length. Especially on guys.

TheIronMaiden
August 23rd, 2013, 02:32 AM
Ladylowtide: I agree on that some lengths are just awkward states while you're growing. To me, hip has been such a state. It's just like waist but a little too long... BSL is also a tricky length for me. Not that it's not good looking, but it's too short to really be long, and far too long to be a hairstyle, like SL, which is my favorite short length. Especially on guys.