PDA

View Full Version : Silicones when?

Beborani
August 21st, 2013, 10:54 AM
Does anyone know when silicones were added to conditioners as a matter of routine. And shampoo? Is there any place where shampoo formulations from 80s and 90s are compiled?

Leeloo
August 21st, 2013, 11:26 AM
Now I’m curious myself. I tried google it and came up with nothing.

Beborani
August 21st, 2013, 02:45 PM
I did that too and am surprised it is not easy to find the answer. My daughter and I have different hairtypes and I recall sometime in early 2000s my hair started behaving better while hers started getting worse when we were using the same basic drugstore shampoo and conditioners--I like silicones and she is clueless about such things (no interest) but I think perhaps her hair doesnt like silicones. Her hairdresser was telling her to clarify way back when we had not heard of such terms. So I am thinking silicones became commonplace early to mid 2000s. I would like some concrete data, which should be easy to find, but apparently not!

Firefox7275
August 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM
Jennifer Aniston, flat ironing, silicones in everything. AFAIK.

In2wishin
August 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM
Apparently it started in the 70's but they were used in other personal care things since the 50's. Here is an interesting history of silicones in personal care products published by Dow. the chart is especially informative.
http://www.dowcorning.com/content/publishedlit/chapter16.pdf

Beborani
August 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM
I am guessing that in aniston days it was there only in 'high end' salon products. Only recently (5 yrs) do I see serum for throwaway prices at drugstores and sallys. That dow chart is interesting. They started adding in 2 in 1 shampoo first and then at some later point in all of them but that is not clear from that chart.

In2wishin
August 21st, 2013, 05:55 PM
I am guessing that in aniston days it was there only in 'high end' salon products. Only recently (5 yrs) do I see serum for throwaway prices at drugstores and sallys. That dow chart is interesting. They started adding in 2 in 1 shampoo first and then at some later point in all of them but that is not clear from that chart.

The way I understand the chart is that they added some to hair care products in the 70's for conditioning, then for protection in the mid 80's, and a different kind of conditioning for 2 in 1 products in the early 90's. It probably followed the development of the different types of silicones.

Beborani
August 21st, 2013, 06:09 PM
It would be nice to see formulation of shampoo and conditioner from the same line over the years.

sourgrl
August 21st, 2013, 06:27 PM
Curious question. Subscribing...

jeanniet
August 21st, 2013, 06:38 PM

Oh, no, it's been much longer than that. I can't remember exactly when the Frizz-Ease line came out, but I'd guess at least 15 years and maybe longer than that. That was the first big silicone line that I can think of sold in big box stores like Target.

Beborani
August 21st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Ok, I guess I have been clueless then. I started paying attention to styling at all only about 10 years ago--was quite happy to just wash and go till then.

luxepiggy
August 21st, 2013, 08:38 PM
From "Principles of Polymer Science and Technology in Cosmetics and Personal Care," by Goddard & Gruber (1999):
The use of silicones in hair care products debuted ... in the 1950s, with the introduction of a lotion spray product known as Sudden Date. This product ... was designed to be sprayed on a 'tired hairdo' to provide "immediate refreshing"...

(^(oo)^)v

luxepiggy
August 21st, 2013, 08:43 PM
If you are interested in viewing older product formulations from various points in time, I recommend looking for old editions of "Poucher's Perfumes, Cosmetics and Soaps," of which the first edition was published in 1923. They are now on version number 10, which was issued in 2000. Probably almost time for another update soon!

jeanniet
August 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM
Ok, I guess I have been clueless then. I started paying attention to styling at all only about 10 years ago--was quite happy to just wash and go till then.

Lol, the only reason I know is because Frizz-Ease was my first fruitless foray into using 'cones, and it was a long time ago! But apparently they've been around a really long time, per piggy.

Beborani
August 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks luxepiggy

Beborani
August 21st, 2013, 11:34 PM
Jeanniet, now I recall buying that evil frizz ease thing. It was sitting unused forever, so not sure how old it was or if it contained silicones. One of these days I should look up that book.

jacqueline101
August 22nd, 2013, 02:26 AM
I know this isn't hair related but my grandma mentioned that deodorant used to stain clothes. That was years ago.

Firefox7275
August 22nd, 2013, 04:05 AM

No silicones started to be fairly routine in high street brands especially the ones sold as 'salon' or linked to a celebrity hairdresser at that point because they were used as heat protection, friction reduction and in serums to give that super sleek finish/ faux gloss (including disguising the damage flat iron addicts were doing to their hair!). I wouldn't call brands like John Frieda high end, Frizz Ease was very widely available here in our drugstore chains. As others have said silicones have been around much longer but you didn't ask about the origin you asked when they were added as a matter of routine.

I just Googled: Frizz Ease serum was launched in 1990 in the US and 1992 in the UK.

Beborani
August 22nd, 2013, 07:02 AM
Mutiple conversations going on Firefox. But yes I asked when were they added to drugstore shampoos (mainly)and conditioners as a matter of routine. I still havent found the answer to that, the book might help.

As for frizz ease, did the 1990 version contain silicone? I have no idea, just asking.

In2wishin
August 22nd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Mutiple conversations going on Firefox. But yes I asked when were they added to drugstore shampoos (mainly)and conditioners as a matter of routine. I still havent found the answer to that, the book might help.

As for frizz ease, did the 1990 version contain silicone? I have no idea, just asking.

According to the Dow history I posted upthread, 1970's. Piggy's info seems to suggest a specific product in the 1950's so, perhaps, it was earlier.

luxepiggy
August 22nd, 2013, 10:21 AM
Ah-ha! The first patent for a shampoo containing silicone was filed in 1958:
The taboo on the use of silicones in conjunction with foaming agents such as shampoo materials was lifted in 1958 by the publication of a patent covering the addition of polydimethyl and polydiethyl siloxanes to shampoos containing synthetic detergents to act as hair conditioners. It is claimed that the silicones leave the hair soft and silky by reason of the deposition of a thin film of silicone.

Source: http://journal.scconline.org//pdf/cc1960/cc011n04/p00192-p00204.pdf

Beborani
August 22nd, 2013, 11:31 PM
That is an interesting article piggy--it even has a little q and a transcript.