PDA

View Full Version : The 'S' word....static

Darkhorse1
September 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
As we head into the winter months (and yes, I'm weird, I love snow), I figured maybe we can share some tips on combating staticy hair.

I've tried everything from bounce sheets on my combs to static guard. Static guard worked the best, but I don't like chemically stuff if I can avoid it.

I work outside (well, indoor arenas just keep the snow off of you), and wear alot of winter toques and the colder air always plays with my hair in regards to static. I'm inspired by many of you to grow it past my tailbone, so any tips on static maintanence would be greatly appreciative :)

k_hepburn
September 2nd, 2008, 08:41 AM
For me, the two things that have really cut down on static electricity are:

(1) Discovering my beloved carbon combs - in my case Denman Carbon antistatic. I tried other combs claiming to be antistatic before, but these are the only ones that for me have really lived up to the promise. Plus, I haven't managed to brake or disfigure one yet (knocks on wood...), something which on combs made of other materials I used to do simply by combing through my hair with annoying regularity.

(2) Using (no cone) conditioner after shampooing. Oils as leave-in help cutting down on the static electricity even further.

Greetings

katharine

Darkhorse1
September 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thanks Katherine! I did get a carbon brush (I need a brush to loosen my dandruff before washing), and it did say 'anti-static'. I will look for those combs too--I have a wide tooth comb I LOVE, but I wonder if my hair will be less fly away this year after reading all the awesome tips on this forum :)

Shanarana
September 2nd, 2008, 10:29 AM
I also find that using a wooden comb rather than plasitc helps. Oh boy, something seasonal to look forward to. I hated the static last year.

carols_e
September 2nd, 2008, 02:07 PM
This may sound weird but I pin a saftey pin to a place you can't see on my blouse and no more static. There will be static when I brush but it goes away.

starla_zero
September 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
That does sound weird, but intriguing! Where did you get the idea?

granitbaby
September 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Each summer I forget about how irritating static hair is, and each winter I have to research about how to battle it.;)
The things I remember are no brushing and always apply oil and aloe gel after wash.

Nes
September 2nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
I spray a very light misting of hairspray onto my palms and smooth over the canopy of my hair to control the static. However, as you say you try to avoid chemicals on your hair this may not be much help.

The only other things I can suggest are a very light oiling and not using a brush.

Also, avoiding man made fibres on clothes, bedding, hair toys, hats etc. should help.

Hopefully this thread will throw up some creative answers!

Nes x

brightonwoman
September 2nd, 2008, 04:16 PM
Combing only (getting rid of my brushes) helped me more than anything.
A leave-in conditioner (spritzer) has been helpful too.
I also like to put my hair up when its damp--spritz it with water after combing but before twisting it up...

RedRose
September 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I used to get this problem a lot. I found that misting (just plain water) really helped, and also smoothing my hair down with a silk scarf (my grandma used to do that for me). If I had time, I would tie my hair up completely in the scarf, say whilst I was getting ready and then just take it off when I left the house. That seemed to last all day.

I know you say you work outside most of the day, and perhaps it's the contrast of going indoors again afterwards with the temp and humidity change? Perhaps upping the humidity in your house could help? I know it's helped me, as my hair and skin both hate when the air around me is too dry and just loathe winter and the central heating nightmare.

carols_e
September 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi Starla.. I seen this on a show along time ago and the metal pin is a ground and works pretty good.

Angelica
September 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM
My hair used to be electrical. Seriously, I even gave someone an electric shock with my hair once! lmao! Surprisingly the improvement in my hair has been no more static. I wondered what the reason was for this, since I have yet to find a routine that both I and my hair are happy about. Shampoo and conditoners I am changing all the time, but I don't think they are the cause for the static elimination. I think it is because I use either Jason's hair mousse or Tescos "bnatural" mousse and Tescos "light hair mist." I remember going on holiday and taking travel size ordinary shampoo and mousse and my hair was static once more, and terrible with it. So at least my hair seems to like the switch of mousse and mist.

vampodrama
September 3rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
I get crazy bad static as soon as 15th of september hits. well not by the date, but it doesn't seem to be affected by temperatures or anything, just the fact that it's winter season. it may be +15 degrees outside and flooding rain, but my hair is a static hell.

nothing I have tried over the years help. leave-ins make it worse. water helps for a minute and then the static is back with a vengenace.

what's puzzling me the most is that I work in an electronics manufacturing plant. I wear special grounding shoes and special jacket, the floors and chairs are all special grounding stuff. I am GROUNDED like no ordinary person ever is in their everyday life. my hair? static hell!

there is one very specific type of shampoo and conditioner that helps (Avalon Organics biotene-lavender stuff). no other types work, although the ingredients are pretty much the same. very puzzling.

longhairedfairy
September 3rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
Wooden comb and camellia oil (my "cure-all") :)

Shanarana
September 3rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
Hi Starla.. I seen this on a show along time ago and the metal pin is a ground and works pretty good.

That will be something I will be trying. Makes sense.

starla_zero
September 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM

I'll be trying this! Us it just a safety pin?

Wooden comb and camellia oil (my "cure-all") :)

I was hoping those would help with my frizz, but sadly not :(

Darkhorse1
September 3rd, 2008, 02:56 PM
Oooh, I'll try the wooden comb. I saw some from Goody at our dollar store :)

I think humidity in my apartment would be ideal, but I don't know how to attain that. I know in the winter, I can pet my kitties in the dark, and see blue sparks on their fur! hahahh.

burns_erin
September 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Silk scarves definitely help. I have also lined some of my hats with silk. In a pinch I put drier sheets in my hats. Also oddly enough, over obsessive cleaning and oiling of my brushes. I even oil the plastic ball bristle ones. I have also been known to throw my brushes in the washing machine with a load that will be getting liquid fabric softener which also seems to help (both with cleaning and anti-static).

rubyredslippers
September 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I have also been known to throw my brushes in the washing machine with a load that will be getting liquid fabric softener which also seems to help (both with cleaning and anti-static).

I've never heard of this before! What a good idea. And I have laundry in the wash right now . . . *eyes happy, innocent brushes speculatively*

Thank you for the idea!

Akiko
September 4th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I use a Japanese Tsuge boxwood comb. No static at all. Love it!

iris
September 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I think humidity in my apartment would be ideal, but I don't know how to attain that.
You can get these things that you can hang over the heater that you fill with water. Or just leave a dish of water out by the heater. Very simple, helps a lot. You'll be surprised at how fast they dry up.

The other thing that really helps is house plants. I have this weather station thingy that measures the humidity indoors as well, and when I moved last year I could tell the difference between having the plants (I have about 30) in or not - it was around 35% humidity without the plants, and 65% with the plants.

But if you're not a plant person, basically leaving out dishes with water does the trick.

Air drying your laundry helps, too. If it's not warm enough inside for the laundry to dry fast, you can use a fan.

I love humidity, I don't feel well when it gets under 55%, so I pay attention to these things a lot. It is IME the key factor in controlling frizz.

Misting helps, too, but if the air in your house is very dry it doesn't help for long.

Iris

longhairedfairy
September 6th, 2008, 05:58 PM
"I was hoping those would help with my frizz, but sadly not"
-starla_zero

Maybe you need a heavier oil, such as olive oil.