PDA

View Full Version : Oiling hair everyday?

FancyCatRachel
August 20th, 2013, 07:08 PM
I watched some youtube videos on hair oiling and some said 3 times a week and some said to oil every night and wear it in a tight braid to bed. I CO and I am scared that if I oil every night then my hair will become greasy and over moisturized. I never met anyone who has over moisturized their hair (and it seem a little crazy!) however I read that then the hair becomes too fragile and weak. Do you think the benefits outweigh the cons or the cons outweigh the benefits?

ravenheather
August 20th, 2013, 07:12 PM
I currently oil overnight every other night. In morning I cwc with rhassoul clay. I too have wondered about every night.

jillosity
August 20th, 2013, 07:26 PM
You'll just have to try it and see how it works for you, I think immediately oiling everyday might be a bit much and you might be asking for trouble. Start out maybe 2 times per week, and see how it goes. Oiling is very much a "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) sort of thing. My hair does best when I use a shea butter and coconut oil balm on wet hair than straight oiling, so that's what I usually do. I will sometimes oil before washing too, but seldom.

BellaFrice
August 20th, 2013, 07:58 PM
oiling, could that help with oily hair? well scalp really my ends are dry and damaged with im trying to use coconut oil(Cheaper brand called softee)for my ends. Im white chick btw and I have always wondered if I could do something besides trying to stretching my wash days and brush with a BBB to help since my fringe gets greasy within a day to 2 days =/ any help

jacqueline101
August 20th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I think oiling has to do with your hair I used to oil mine daily then I got to where I stopped its like my hair hated it.

LadyCelestina
August 20th, 2013, 11:58 PM
I don't think oils can "moisturize" hair.As for how often you should oil,why not try gradually increasing the amount of oilings during the week,while using just a little bit of oil? If it gets greasy,you can always just wash your hair (with CO or whatever else is your prefered method).

Firefox7275
August 21st, 2013, 12:34 AM
I watched some youtube videos on hair oiling and some said 3 times a week and some said to oil every night and wear it in a tight braid to bed. I CO and I am scared that if I oil every night then my hair will become greasy and over moisturized. I never met anyone who has over moisturized their hair (and it seem a little crazy!) however I read that then the hair becomes too fragile and weak. Do you think the benefits outweigh the cons or the cons outweigh the benefits?

Oils are not moisturising (add or increase water), they repel water so act as occlusives/ anti humectants/ sealers, some can penetrate reducing porosity and increasing elasticity. Oils may make your hair greasy but they will not make it fragile or weak. What are your hair properties (porosity, elasticity) and needs (damage)? Oils are not the be all and end all of haircare, there are many highly beneficial ingredients. If your hair is virgin, low porosity, doesn't suffer with tangling you likely will not benefit from daily oiling. Conditioner only washing gets oils out fine, actually better than shampoo IME.

CurlMonster
August 21st, 2013, 01:32 AM
I oil whenever that extra-shiny, slippery feeling goes away. Sometimes that's a few days in a row and sometimes it's only twice a week. I think you need to judge from how your hair feels whether it needs more oil.

Mayihuan
August 21st, 2013, 05:29 AM
I too oil daily. A very small quantity of oil (a few drops spread over the palms of my hands) is enough to oil hair ends and lengths. I've been doing this for a few years now, and feel it helps keep my hair in good shape (few split ends).

I do not oil my scalp daily, though. It produces its own, so I feel it does not require external help on a daily basis. I have however started scalp massages, a few hours before shampooing. There too, I only use small quantities of oil (enough to get shiny fingers), but may increase dosage depending on how my head reacts. :)

Before shampooing (ie. twice a week) I heavily oil my hair lengths, with a much greater quantity of oil than that applied on a daily basis (several tsp seems enough for the moment), leave it in a few hours, then shampoo out. I've heard that conditioner helps get oil out more efficiently than shampoo, so maybe you need not worry too much if you're CO. :)

As several have said, it really depends on your hair and how it reacts. Maybe start with just once or twice a week, and work your way to more frequent oilings depending on whether you hair seems to like/need it. :)

Allychan
August 21st, 2013, 06:13 AM
I oil every night and do a heavier castor oil/coconut scalp oiling twice a week. I only shampoo the morning after I do a heavy oil, every other morning I just CO it out. One of the benefits of oiling is it repels water which means when you wet your hair it won't soak in too much water and swell. The constant swelling of hair when it gets wet then dry's can cause hair damage called 'Hydral fatigue', this in turn causes frizz.

Firefox7275
August 21st, 2013, 06:51 AM
oiling, could that help with oily hair? well scalp really my ends are dry and damaged with im trying to use coconut oil(Cheaper brand called softee)for my ends. Im white chick btw and I have always wondered if I could do something besides trying to stretching my wash days and brush with a BBB to help since my fringe gets greasy within a day to 2 days =/ any help

Softee is not coconut oil it's largely petroleum jelly and other non penetrating ingredients. You don't need to purchase a pricey organic/ virgin brand, cheap refined stuff from an ethnic store or the supermarket or online does the job. Use dry shampoo like Batiste on your fringe. Maybe switch to a gentler cleansing method than commercial shampoo, sulphate surfactants and some other anionics are stripping and irritant so can cause the scalp to pump out more sebum to protect itself.
"Petrolatum , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba) , Paraffin , Mineral Oil , Fragrance , BHT"
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/softee-coconut-oil-hair-%26-scalp-conditioner/ID=prod2138215-product

Really damaged ends need to be trimmed there is nothing that can salvage them, less damaged ends use ingredients like hydrolysed protein, pure coconut oil, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.

irisheyes
August 21st, 2013, 07:29 AM
My hair is tbl, porous, and I still have damage from box dye on the last 8 inches of my hair. I heavily oil that last 8inches at night after I shampoo and air dry. It looks and feels very oily, but the oil soaks in overnight and leaves my hair soft and shiny.

DinaAG
August 21st, 2013, 07:46 AM
i oil everyday i feel its the real protection

Leeloo
August 21st, 2013, 09:59 AM
I’ve seen videos on youtube that that is popular hair care routine in India. They use coconut oil infusion with herbs at night and wash their hair in the morning.

sarahthegemini
August 21st, 2013, 10:03 AM
I oil daily, as in I use a teeny tiny amount after washing to seal in the moisture. I wouldn't do a heavy/pre-wash oiling everyday though.

spidermom
August 21st, 2013, 10:58 AM
I only oil the night (or an hour or so) before I wash my hair, if I remember. I don't oil clean hair; it attracts too much dust and lint to my hair, causing too much tangling. The pre-wash oiling does seem to benefit my hair a great deal.

nobeltonya
August 21st, 2013, 12:08 PM
The oiling itself should be good for your hair. But you should watch out for product buildup. And I use coconut oil and have to oil at least every other night b/c of buildup and it clogs my pores. I am currently trying a new oil (my husband bought it for me) which is basically mineral oil with extracts of amla and brahmi. My hair feels softer today, but applying it is weird b/c it is thin and my hair is coarse.. but I'm only going to apply every 2-3 days (but I wash daily). :disco:

BlondeWavyGal
August 21st, 2013, 01:37 PM
Depends on your hair type, personally I get an oily scalp but dry hair, which makes oiling confusing, but I wouldnt do it every day because my hair would become very greasy.

PolarCathy
August 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
I would totally do this every day if I lived in a climate where I could wash my hair daily. (I live in a cold climate.) My length does benefit from castor oil, a lot. My scalp doesn't care much either way.

Kaya
August 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM
I oil daily with store-brand extra virgin olive oil. Had to switch from coconut oil cause it made my hair a bit crunchy. But EVOO has been wonderful for my hair, and I'm a heavy, all-over oiler, scalp and length. Putting it on my scalp has actually kept my dandruff minimal to non-existent. Usually, I oil in the morning and CO-wash with Suave Clarifying before bed. Depending on how I feel and how my hair feels, I may skip a day here and there. But it pays off cause my hair feels amazing, soft and silky. :) I do occasionally have to clarify completely to get a fresh start, but I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had to clarify. I can sometime can get away with just using conditioner on non-oiled hair to help clean away any build-up.

blace
August 21st, 2013, 02:08 PM
I oil daily, as in I use a teeny tiny amount after washing to seal in the moisture. I wouldn't do a heavy/pre-wash oiling everyday though.

I follow the same routine. I do a prewash/heavy oiling about twice a week or so...just whenever I feel like my hair and scalp needs it.

vindo
August 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM

It certainly won't make the hair weaker. That is biologically not possible ;)
But if you oil too much it will be a soggy, lint attracting, sticky mess. I only oil so much for my hair to feel slippery and moisturized but not soaked. I oil the day before the wash day. How often you should oil depends on how dry your hair is and how often you wash. You will just have to try and see what works.
When it comes to your hair and skin I would use the term moisture differently. Technically to moisturize means to increase water in your hair and skin. But that can also dry out both. So what keeps that from happening would be the oil, which is the natural "moisture" to us, hence our body produces it.

Anshul585
January 4th, 2017, 03:06 AM

When I was a kid and had shoulder-armpit length hair I used to oil my hair daily from scalp to tip with organic virgin coconut oil and I had very thick, lustrous and strong hair. I used to wash my hair twice a week and after washing I oiled on my damp hair.

lovetoread
March 11th, 2017, 03:04 PM
This thread has some great info! Thanks everyone.

PaleBlack
March 13th, 2017, 12:36 AM
I oil my hair on a daily basis. As the matter of greasiness, it's individual since some people can't stand the feeling of oil on their scalp :) Since my hair is overprocessed and damaged, every change is immediately visible and I can tell the treatment is helping me a lot.

sarahthegemini
March 13th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Ah how things have changed. I don't use oil at all now.

Lauraes
March 13th, 2017, 12:16 PM
I CO-wash six days a week and CWC on the seventh day, so I wash daily. I use a little bit of olive oil after each wash as a leave-in, and when I CWC I do a heavy pre-wash oiling with coconut oil.

draysmir
March 13th, 2017, 02:37 PM
I usually oil my length about twice a week, usually only the first day and third day after washing. I wash my hair once a week, so by about the 4th or 5th day or so I have enough natural oils to keep my hair from being unmanageable.

Rebeccalaurenxx
March 13th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I use to oil daily but it actually made my hair tangled and dry... After awhile I stopped. Now I only use serums after a wash and then leave it alone.

I find minimal products work best for me.

Kaelee
March 15th, 2017, 09:28 AM
I used to oil after every wash, currently I am oiling on wash day and letting my hair soak in oil all day before washing (I grease it up and put it up, and no one can tell really, at least, I don't think they can. My hair looks shinier and better behaved than usual.) My current favorite conditioner isn't the most moisturizing thing in the world, I should try using oil as a leave in again. :hmm: (I used to use it in lieu of conditioner because the water where I lived at that point turned conditioner into some sort of waxy mess without fail.)

The worst that can happen is you wind up with build up and have to do a clarifying wash once, I'd say give it a go.