PDA

View Full Version : Braid identification help?

tiny squirrel
August 20th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I found this on Pinterest today. Does anyone know what kind of braid it is and/or how it's done? Is it some kind of french fishtail braid?

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/41/91/87/419187bdeca4f065c663273f95c46fc0.jpg

TheIronMaiden
August 20th, 2013, 04:08 PM
It's a perfect herringbone braid, I think. I really like it, as well. Thnx for the pic! I do like the dip dye as well, even though some will say that pink isn't a good color for redheads.

HylianGirl
August 20th, 2013, 04:13 PM
It's a french herringbone, but you don't add hair everytime you braid, only add once form each side after a couple of bumps, and do it as a half up.

stachelbeere
August 20th, 2013, 04:14 PM
yes, it's definitely a french fishtail braid where the hair is incorporated every 2nd, then 3rd time.

it's so lovely by the way... wow... I'm striving to have hair like that one day, maybe next year, maybe in two years time <3

Leeloo
August 20th, 2013, 04:20 PM
That looks like a gorgeous French fishtail braid!

Anabell
August 20th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I actually saw something similar on youtube. It's not the half up version but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRNNknXwG9c

hope it helps.

Gumball
August 20th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Definitely a caged french fishtail / herringbone braid. The colors sure make it pop!

jacqueline101
August 20th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I'd say herringbone braid but I'm not an expert on braids.

Yozhik
August 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM
I second Gumball - cage herringbone. :)

tiny squirrel
August 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks Everyone. I NEED to practice my fishtail braiding! And thank you Anabell for the youtube link.

hypersensitive
August 21st, 2013, 10:07 PM
wow beautiful style! i just pinned it! thanks for sharing!

Brileeka
August 21st, 2013, 11:18 PM
Yup a fishtail braid but not exactly a french fishtail because more hair is not added every single time but instead every few times. So it kinda has a french braid appearance as well.

Mayihuan
August 22nd, 2013, 03:08 AM
Oh the colors! And lovely perfect braiding, too!

bayleafwish
August 22nd, 2013, 03:47 AM
I think I've seen it called a mermaid braid as well might be wrong.

Mayihuan
August 22nd, 2013, 04:38 AM
A mermaid braid is similar, but not exactly the same as this one. See how the added hair comes into it, a whole "layer" of hair at a time? If I'm not wrong, added hair in a mermaid braid is one strand of hair, taken from the very edge of the hair left loose. Mermaid braid is closer to a fishbraid in that sense, whereas here it's taking after a French/Dutch braid. :)

Edit: Now that I've squinted closely at googled mermaid braids and the original photo, I'm less confident. It does look like it might be a mermaid braid after all.

mary*rose
February 28th, 2014, 08:33 AM
What exactly is a mermaid braid? I've seen braids referred to as mermaid when they look like a cage, and braids called mermaid when they're simply two braids pinned together (usu. to the side).

Gumball
February 28th, 2014, 08:59 AM
What exactly is a mermaid braid? I've seen braids referred to as mermaid when they look like a cage, and braids called mermaid when they're simply two braids pinned together (usu. to the side).

I think the primary difference is when sections are added. In the example in this thread, it's a cage because the sections are added at every few stitches instead of at each one like you would see on a French braid. That's why you see the gaps on each side of the braid where you have crossovers but no sections added to them. I most often see cage braids done with smaller sections of hair instead of more complete sections like this thread's example posts, but that's not a big deal.

Mermaid braids, from when I noticed their starting to appear, have small sections (so not an entire gathering from hairline to the braid) such as a half inch piece near the hairline, and braided in a manner such as French braiding. This also has the result of the "French braid" aesthetic going farther down than you would see with standard or in some cases draped braids, since they generally end around nape level give or take a bit. I'm more than happy to explain a little more if that seems unclear. :) I'm familiar with both.

The big confusion will happen when people take a style with a name that's existed for some time, then rename it, and so on and so forth, where one style then has a multitude of titles. You give a good example of that.

ETA: This (http://www.cutegirlshairstyles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/IMG_1791.jpg) is a fair example of a waterfall braid being used to transition into a mermaid braid. The sections that go into the french braid are small. Without the waterfall braid you would be gathering them from the sides instead.

mary*rose
February 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM
So the difference is the size of the pieces added?

Gumball
February 28th, 2014, 09:37 AM
So the difference is the size of the pieces added?

And when they're added, such as in the case of the cage braid since it's typically not added to ever single crossover on its side, but every few (third, fifth, up to the braider).

MeAndTheMaz
February 28th, 2014, 09:48 AM
Wow. Very nice.

I hope she likes attention, because I'm sure she attracts a lot of it about that braid/color.

mary*rose
February 28th, 2014, 11:04 AM
And when they're added, such as in the case of the cage braid since it's typically not added to ever single crossover on its side, but every few (third, fifth, up to the braider).

Awesome. Thanks so much :3

maborosi
February 28th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Fishtail for sure but man those colors are awesome! What a pretty dip dye job!! :D

~maborosi~