PDA

View Full Version : Products that help with hair growth?

ybessie
August 20th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Hi, I have wondered if anyone have used a combination of bergamont essence, bay rum and placenta to aid in faster hair growth? My hair dresser advised me to start using this, and I just wanted to know if anyone have used this and what their results have been? Is there any other products or supplements that can aid in hair growth?

clioariane
August 20th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Where would one obtain a placenta, and how is it applied? :confused:

Anyway, I take Viviscal for hair growth which is recommended by a lot of hair stylists and models.

ybessie
August 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Where would one obtain a placenta, and how is it applied? :confused:

Anyway, I take Viviscal for hair growth which is recommended by a lot of hair stylists and models.

I usually buy it at pharmacies, and you can get it as a spray or in ampuls. I use the spray and generally spray it on after a was. Does Viviscal work for you?

Firefox7275
August 20th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Is there any published research for those ingredients?

jacqueline101
August 20th, 2013, 11:34 AM
I use Monistat and got good growth from it.

ybessie
August 20th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Is there any published research for those ingredients?

I haven't found any publications on the ingredients, but have heard a lot through word of mouth and elderly people giving 'boere raad' (think its home remedies).

ybessie
August 20th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I use Monistat and got good growth from it.

I have heard alot of good from Monistat, but it is quite pricey in South Africa! Is there a cheaper generic version that gives the same results?

HollyBerry5
August 20th, 2013, 02:27 PM
I use a combination of folic acid for pregnant women as well as biotin, and I wash my hair with Mane 'n Tail. In the past two weeks (my most recent measurment) has been 3 1/4 of an inch. Definitely worth a try.
- The biotin I use a lower dose and slowly going higher, this way I avoid any skin problems that may occur with starting on a higher dose.

:)

PolarCathy
August 20th, 2013, 02:46 PM
Let me get this right, not sure I understand English text at almost 11PM. You grew 3 1/4 inches of hair in two weeks?

I use a combination of folic acid for pregnant women as well as biotin, and I wash my hair with Mane 'n Tail. In the past two weeks (my most recent measurment) has been 3 1/4 of an inch. Definitely worth a try.
- The biotin I use a lower dose and slowly going higher, this way I avoid any skin problems that may occur with starting on a higher dose.

:)

Wildcat Diva
August 20th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Maybe she means three quarters of an inch?

Anne10
August 20th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Viviscal doesn't do a thing for my hair but it does give me slightly longer eyelashes.

Monistat... you mean like miconazole, for yeast infections?

Oldfashioned
August 20th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Ylang ylang essential oil ( a few drops in your blob of shampoo for the day) is supposed to stimulate hair growth naturally. I've been doing it and seems to be working. :)

WilfredAllen
August 20th, 2013, 11:12 PM
a quality mutivitamin and a healthy amount of protien, IMHO

Simone_Fatale
August 21st, 2013, 05:37 AM
A lotion made from distilled water, alcohol and lavender, garlic and nettle extracts. Works good on circullation and follicle nourishment. Smells funny though but it evaporates quickly.

Leeloo
August 21st, 2013, 12:00 PM
I’ve heard castor oil and Monistat help increase hair growth rate, but there is no scientific research to back that up.

ybessie
August 21st, 2013, 02:09 PM
Im using a blend of EVOO, castor oil, rosemary oil and peppermint oil. Not sure if its helping with my growth but it makes my hair feel super soft and makes it shiny

jeanniet
August 21st, 2013, 02:23 PM
Good diet, exercise, sleep, and patience.

bunnylake
August 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM
I use a blend of castor and burdock oils and essential oils that are said to stimulate growth. They are rosemary, lavender, peppermint, sage, and ylang ylang. I massage it into my scalp before bed about three times a week.

Dark40
August 21st, 2013, 06:01 PM
I've learned that biotin is good for hair growth, and Dabur Indian Ai Oil is also excellent for hair growth as well.

cmbates2009
August 21st, 2013, 09:04 PM
What about incresing the thickness of the ponytail while trying to increase the hair growth?

Zindell
August 22nd, 2013, 01:29 AM
Am I the only one beeing very cautious about products that might speed up hair growth? I have this fear that if a product is forcing/pushing up the hair strand faster than normal, the hair wouldn't get the time needed to build up properly and would come out thinner and more weak than normally?

Maybe I'm just overthinking stuff. :p

clioariane
August 22nd, 2013, 03:12 AM
I usually buy it at pharmacies, and you can get it as a spray or in ampuls. I use the spray and generally spray it on after a was. Does Viviscal work for you?
I do think that Viviscal is helping my growth, but I've only been using it for 2 months so it's too early to notice a significant difference :)

Firefox7275
August 22nd, 2013, 03:40 AM
Am I the only one beeing very cautious about products that might speed up hair growth? I have this fear that if a product is forcing/pushing up the hair strand faster than normal, the hair wouldn't get the time needed to build up properly and would come out thinner and more weak than normally?

Maybe I'm just overthinking stuff. :p

You are not overthinking anything, some practices have been poorly researched by the user and are thus reckless IMO. Some methods do seem to be forcing hair growth at the expense of stressing the body (eg. megadosing biotin) whilst others are gently encouraging (eg. regular physical activity). I put actives on my facial skin to encourage a stronger skin barrier/ anti ageing or whatever and look at the possible side effects carefully - I happily use aloe vera inner leaf gel but draw the line at prescription retinoids (vitamin A). Much the same philosophy for my scalp: I wouldn't personally use a pharmacy anti fungal agent purely for hair growth, I consider my natural skin flora as important as my natural gut flora.

MaryO
August 22nd, 2013, 03:59 AM
I have heard alot of good from Monistat, but it is quite pricey in South Africa! Is there a cheaper generic version that gives the same results?

Hey ybessie, I bought Daktarin (very expensive) and something else (can't remember the name now!) at Dischem, I asked the guy behind the counter for something that contains Miconazole and he recommended this other cream (something with a V?) Unfortunately it didn't work for me- I think it's just my hair because the ingredients are the same as Monistat. I have used Bergamont Essence added to my shampoo many years and it did help for growth I think, but it also makes your hair very soft and I love the smell so I use it anyways. Nice to see another South African on LHC! :-)

Emanuelle
August 22nd, 2013, 05:22 AM
I massage my scalp with warm Jamaican Black castor oil mixed with coconut oil, this has greatly improved my hair growth speed. I also take vitamin and mineral supplements. Soon I will start with a protein powder supplement.

I also drink lots of water.

Firefox7275
August 22nd, 2013, 06:16 AM
I massage my scalp with warm Jamaican Black castor oil mixed with coconut oil, this has greatly improved my hair growth speed. I also take vitamin and mineral supplements. Soon I will start with a protein powder supplement.

I also drink lots of water.

Do you need more protein in your diet? Most westerners eat plenty, what we don't do is eat it little and often starting at breakfast, we just eat large servings of muscle meat. If you are eating the right amount of dairy products (three servings a day), oily fish (two a week, but ideally daily), other seafood, plenty of nuts/ seeds/ beans/ lentils for minerals and fibre, some omega-enriched eggs you should be getting plenty of protein even if you never ate land animal muscle meat. Protein powders are useful for those into hypertrophy or who train intensively and just cannot get the meals and snacks, that is as much about timing and convenience not best practice in nutrition for health. Bear in mind protein powders don't contain the nutrients of wholefoods, they are essentially processed food. Excess protein will be converted to carbs and then on to bodyfat if you don't burn it off, it can also be pro inflammatory.

martyna_22
August 22nd, 2013, 06:51 AM
Ever since I started eating more healthy and took up mostly plant-based diet (with fish :P ), which was some 2 years ago, my hair's been growing faster. I didn't really measure, but it's really gotten thicker and prettier.

samanthaj08
August 22nd, 2013, 08:13 AM
Right now I use coconut oil with rosemary oil and peppermint oil..

but a quick question for anyone. As it gets colder, what's a good oil to switch to that stays liquid? I usually wear it 2-3 days straight. Jojoba? Castor? EVOO? Almond?

ybessie
August 22nd, 2013, 08:33 AM
Right now I use coconut oil with rosemary oil and peppermint oil..

but a quick question for anyone. As it gets colder, what's a good oil to switch to that stays liquid? I usually wear it 2-3 days straight. Jojoba? Castor? EVOO? Almond?

I use a mixture of EVOO, castor oil, rosemary and peppermint oil. I just love this combination!

samanthaj08
August 22nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
I use a mixture of EVOO, castor oil, rosemary and peppermint oil. I just love this combination!

Ohh! Good idea :) I haven't used castor before, but will look into it some more. I love love love the tingling

catamonica
August 24th, 2013, 12:09 AM
My hair didn't grow for year's. I tried original mane & tail horse shampoo. You can get it at wall mart. Or order it online. If the store isn't in your area, The shampoo grew my hair to waist. But it doesn't work for everybody. But you could try it.

cmbates2009
August 24th, 2013, 06:39 PM
My hair didn't grow for year's. I tried original mane & tail horse shampoo. You can get it at wall mart. Or order it online. If the store isn't in your area, The shampoo grew my hair to waist. But it doesn't work for everybody. But you could try it.

Yea, My best friend in high school used that stuff all the time on her straight hair so I tried it. It so did not work for my fine curls. But your right it does work, you just have to find the right hair type it works with. I know that their line came out with new stuff has anyone tried their different products other than the original Main n' Tail?

cmbates2009
September 15th, 2013, 04:49 PM
My issue is is that I don't want what i have to grow longer (well i do) but I want the areas that had hair to grow hair and fill in the bald spots and replace my lost hair. any suggestions on the variety of the main n tail product will help

Applegirl84
September 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Interesting to hear that about Ylang ylang. I love the smell ... maybe time to use it in my hair

Aingeal
September 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM
I also use a combo of olive oil, coconut oil, and peppermint weekly. It's helped quite a bit.

AlexDig
September 28th, 2014, 09:39 AM
For me, eating a protein rich and nutrient dense whole food diet has probably been the best for speeding up my hair growth rate. I also use tea tree oil, rosemary, lemongrass, and peppermint EOs in my egg and aloe washes and I think that they're helping a bit as well.