PDA

View Full Version : Mixing 'cones and ACV??

CSallaround
August 20th, 2013, 01:04 AM
Hey everyone :)
Over the summer I have been experimenting with ACV but for the past month (maybe a little longer?) I have been using a couple coney products (Aussie 3 minute miracle, Redken hair mask and a condish I can't remember the name of right now) and I have been hesitant to doing ACV rinses since I went back to including cones in my routine.
It might be a silly question but I don't know if I should continue doing ACV rinses while using 'cones or if it could be damaging in any way?
Anyone who uses both? Any tips?

I'm sorry if the answer to my question is already out there, if so, please direct me :)

KittyBird
August 20th, 2013, 01:12 AM
Well, I love to add coney leave-in conditioner to my hair after doing the ACV rinse, I've been doing this for months now, and have noticed no damage so far. I don't really see how it could be damaging, but maybe someone with more knowledge could enlighten us. :)

CSallaround
August 20th, 2013, 01:19 AM
I also can't think of a reason for it to be damaging :) I recently had to cut about 7 cm of damage off though, so I want to be sure it won't do any harm before I continue with ACV. I went back to 'cones because I have these few products to use up. I haven't used coney leave in for a long time though. The one I have is full of dimethicone and it makes my hair quite weird after less than a day.
Which leave in are you using KittyBird? :)

DarkCurls
August 20th, 2013, 03:15 AM
I'm pretty sure there's no reason for it to be damaging. I co-wash and rotate between a conditioner with cones and one without, because I like them both. I use a vinegar rinse after every wash, and sometimes I'll apply my leave-in, which has amodimethicone in it. Many people here do ACV rinses, and I doubt that all of them are cone-free.

kme81
August 20th, 2013, 04:11 AM
I've been a cone and (white) vinegar user for around two years. I've never had problems. :)

Firefox7275
August 20th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Not damaging but might affect the efficacy of the product/ ability of the silicone molecules to be substantive, you would be altering the pH of the hair to the isoelectric point whereby the cuticle is laying flat and the net charge is zero. Many conditioning agents rely on charge (cationic/ anionic) to adhere to the hair. IMO be careful what strength (and thus pH) vinegar you use, you might be better getting your cuticle to lay flat simply by choosing products at pH ~4.5 because those will be formulated to work as they are. Don't ask me to explain that in English, being a biologist rather than a chemist I've only a rudimentary understanding myself! Some good articles on ingredients and hair properties by 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay on Naturallycurly if you want to try to get your head around it.

CSallaround
August 20th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Thank you for the replies :)

Firefox, it makes sense that it could affect the efficacy of the products. I guess then the more diluted the vinegar is, the less it'll affect the efficacy?

PetuniaBlossom
August 20th, 2013, 06:28 AM
My hair and scalp seem to do equally okay with cones/no cones, so this may not be helpful to you. I always use a white vinegar rinse and it always has the same good effect, regardless of which shampoo/conditioner I use. However, I use the vinegar rinse last, and as a leave-in.

kme81
August 20th, 2013, 07:41 AM
My hair and scalp seem to do equally okay with cones/no cones, so this may not be helpful to you. I always use a white vinegar rinse and it always has the same good effect, regardless of which shampoo/conditioner I use. However, I use the vinegar rinse last, and as a leave-in.

I second the bolded part! Anytime I switch that up, my hair gets very clingy and tangly!

luxepiggy
August 20th, 2013, 09:53 AM
No, it is not damaging. I am a regular 'cone user and I use an acidic rinse (I use ascorbic/citric acid rather than ACV, but it's the same idea) at every wash. As PetuniaBlossom and kme81 both advocated already, I use my acidic rinse last, as the final step in my wash routine, and do not rinse it out with plain water afterwards.