PDA

View Full Version : Hair toys and international travel

Sarahlabyrinth
August 19th, 2013, 11:40 PM
A question for you international air travel LHCers...Would hair forks be classed as dangerous and be confiscated when arriving in the U.K / Ireland / Europe? Or, well, anywhere really? Have any of you had any problems? With hair sticks also? Wouldn't mind losing a hair stick but my forks are precious...

KittyBird
August 20th, 2013, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't think so. I haven't been to the UK in years, but I've traveled to Spain, Portugal (several times) and Finland, and no one has questioned or tried to confiscate my forks and sticks. If you're very concerned though, maybe wrap them in bubblewrap and place them in a box in your checked-in luggage (if you have any). Oh, and leave your most priced toys at home. That's what I usually do. Only the cheapies get to travel :)

Quixii
August 20th, 2013, 12:11 AM
On my recent trip to the UK and back, on one of the days I was wearing spin pins and one of the other days I was wearing a metal hair stick. Neither triggered any problems. I also had knitting needles and scissors and crochet hooks in my carry on. Also no problems. I assume a hair fork would be fine, especially if wood.

Flor
August 20th, 2013, 01:37 AM
If you wanna play it safe, pack your most previous stuff in the luggage, there's no rules that you can't check in those objects. And wear something none metal that mostly "hides" in your hair on the plane. If it's just the top of the fork/stick poking out, no one will ever know.

There shouldn't be issued with it regardless, but you never know if you get a particularly eager security person. From my experience, they only really care about water bottles these days though ;)

Haybop
August 20th, 2013, 01:44 AM
If it's in your hair & doesn't set off the metal detector I'd think it's fine (I've not been through security with hair toys in mind, but they're not quite like what I've heard of USA customs!) If you plan on taking precious hair toys with you then keep them safe anyway in the main luggage. I've seen a lot of UK & Eu border folk use plain common sense more than you'd think - just beware bottles of liquid and don't travel in boots or footwear with big soles unless you want to unlace & take them off ;) (My sister, the fool, had knee high Doc Martens and had to unlace & take them off & put them back on both ways... she didn't learn from her mistake on the way back :P)

Arien
August 20th, 2013, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't chance it. My mother had her beak clip taken away from her last year when she was going on holiday.. Chances are they wouldn't particularly like hair sticks either. I would pack them in your hold luggage to be sure :).

Ashenputtel
August 20th, 2013, 02:42 AM
I also always pack my sticks in my check-in luggage. They're utterly paranoid about carry-ons now.

furnival
August 20th, 2013, 03:12 AM
Aye, security can be ridiculous. My Dad had a pair of tweezers seized once...

I'm always a bit worried about my hair toys as I only ever take carry-on luggage, but so far I haven't had any problems. I usually wear my most innocuous-looking fork and keep my other toys in my washbag. I agree that it's wise not to take your most precious stuff though- there's always a chance it could be taken from you. I'm sure some of these guys get a kick from confiscating stuff. I mean, what damage could you do with a pair of tweezers? Nip someone? :p

Firefox7275
August 20th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Metal forks might well be a problem, plastic or anything else that would easily break probably not so much. IMO stick to stuff you don't mind losing, don't have weapon shaped objects in your hand luggage or on your head. Have you considered checking with the airport you will be flying into?

"Can I take a nail file in my hand baggage?
Yes. If it is particularly sharp or pointed, please ensure that it is under 6cm in length.
Can I take nail scissors in my hand baggage?
Yes, providing the blades are no longer than 6cm measured from the point where the blades cross ...

Sharp or dangerous items
Can I carry knitting needles in my hand baggage?
Yes, you can take knitting needles in the cabin with you ....

Can I take my jewellery in my hand baggage?
In almost all cases, yes. If the jewellery is particularly sharp or shaped to look like a weapon you may be asked to check it into the hold. If you're not sure, check the restrictions on sharp objects before you pack."
http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/heathrow-security/faqs#nailfile

"Banned items
The following may not be carried in hand baggage:

Sharp items
This includes knives (with blades over 6cm), razor blades, box cutters, scissors (with blades over 6cm from fulcrum), axes, hatchets, cleavers, ice axes, ice picks, swords, sabres and sharp or pointed martial arts equipment."
http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/heathrow-security/hand-baggage#Banneditems

And
http://www.heathrowairport.com/static/Heathrow/Downloads/PDF/Prohibited_Items_public_guidance_170311.pdf

Haybop
August 20th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Metal forks might well be a problem, plastic or anything else that would easily break probably not so much. IMO stick to stuff you don't mind losing, don't have weapon shaped objects in your hand luggage or on your head. Have you considered checking with the airport you will be flying into?
*snip snip*

And here's the sensible one who goes to look this up for you, such a sweetie :D

furnival
August 20th, 2013, 06:01 AM
You're allowed knitting needles, nail files and scissors in your hand luggage? So whoever confiscated my Dad's tweezers was just being a complete b@stard. :p

Quixii
August 20th, 2013, 06:11 AM
You're allowed knitting needles, nail files and scissors in your hand luggage? So whoever confiscated my Dad's tweezers was just being a complete b@stard. :p
Probably. :lol:
Though it may also depend on how long ago this was. From what I've heard, shortly after 9/11 the security measures were ridiculously restrictive, and they've since slowly relaxed over the years. Perhaps the tweezers were confiscated at a time they were not yet allowed.
Also if they were long, needle-nosed tweezers, they may seem more threatening.

furnival
August 20th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Probably. :lol:
Though it may also depend on how long ago this was. From what I've heard, shortly after 9/11 the security measures were ridiculously restrictive, and they've since slowly relaxed over the years. Perhaps the tweezers were confiscated at a time they were not yet allowed.
Also if they were long, needle-nosed tweezers, they may seem more threatening.
Argh, not the threatening needle-nosed tweezers! Noooo! :p
Nah, they were normal, blunt-nosed tweezers about 3" long, and it was about a year ago. Maybe the security man had a tweezer ******, or an irritating splinter, or just fancied plucking his eyebrows on his lunch break. ;)

The-Young-Maid
August 20th, 2013, 06:38 AM
I think anything plastic would be alright if it's metal you might have problems. I had my hair pins in when I landed in Frankfurt and they set off the metal detector - I got a thorough pat down.:eyebrows: But they didn't ask me to take down my bun.

Arien
August 20th, 2013, 06:39 AM

It depends who you get at the airport doesn't it :D

Kaelee
August 20th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Aye, security can be ridiculous. My Dad had a pair of tweezers seized once...

I'm always a bit worried about my hair toys as I only ever take carry-on luggage, but so far I haven't had any problems. I usually wear my most innocuous-looking fork and keep my other toys in my washbag. I agree that it's wise not to take your most precious stuff though- there's always a chance it could be taken from you. I'm sure some of these guys get a kick from confiscating stuff. I mean, what damage could you do with a pair of tweezers? Nip someone? :p

I know right? And I never could figure out the water bottle thing either. I think the airports conspired with the TSA to force us to pay $3 a bottle for Aquafina, personally. :p

I think when I go on vacation, I shall wear a pencil in my hair. :p Unlikely to be confiscated and if it is...who cares? It's a pencil.

Firefox7275
August 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Argh, not the threatening needle-nosed tweezers! Noooo! :p
Nah, they were normal, blunt-nosed tweezers about 3" long, and it was about a year ago. Maybe the security man had a tweezer ******, or an irritating splinter, or just fancied plucking his eyebrows on his lunch break. ;)

Might just be a jobsworth, three inches is longer than the 6cm blade limit for 'sharp' objects like scissors and nail files.

chen bao jun
August 20th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Well, you know, who would have thought they could use water bottles or liquid for the terror on the flights on 911 and they just narrowly averted that shoe bomber guy from blowing up a bunch of other people. They might think the tweezers could be used to wire bombs or something--and maybe they can. I also figure that I know I'm not a terrorist, but how do they really know. irritating some innocent people is better than letting same innocent people get blown up by being afraid to irritate and letting the terrorists through. we ARE at war, you know, whether we like it or not. I dont' mean Iraq or Afghanistan, I mean terrorists against the rest of us.
Pregnant women and children have been used to blow civilians up in certain places.
Just put it all in the checked luggage, but don't get upset if you get a conscientious careful checker--that checker may save your life.

YamaMaya
August 20th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I'll just echo what everyone else said, just pack any questionably pointy items such as hair sticks and forks in your checked baggage.

Well, you know, who would have thought they could use water bottles or liquid for the terror on the flights on 911 and they just narrowly averted that shoe bomber guy from blowing up a bunch of other people. They might think the tweezers could be used to wire bombs or something--and maybe they can. I also figure that I know I'm not a terrorist, but how do they really know. irritating some innocent people is better than letting same innocent people get blown up by being afraid to irritate and letting the terrorists through. we ARE at war, you know, whether we like it or not. I dont' mean Iraq or Afghanistan, I mean terrorists against the rest of us.
Pregnant women and children have been used to blow civilians up in certain places.
Just put it all in the checked luggage, but don't get upset if you get a conscientious careful checker--that checker may save your life.

Well they could be a little more polite about it:rolleyes:. I once got searched quite rudely by security in london because the buckle on my SHOES set the alarm off. The woman then accused me of carrying a knife and very roughly checked me, and she was none too shy about groping my breasts and bum. I actually cried afterwards right there in security.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 20th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Gosh, thanks guys for all your advice /tips. I might just wear my least favourite wooden hair fork and take my favourite in my checked luggage. Or - wear a pencil! Hehe!