PDA

View Full Version : Cutting my own hair?

Beav83
August 19th, 2013, 06:16 PM
I've noticed by posts that many LHC members cut their own hair. Is there a tutorial or instructions that someone could post a link to? I am interested in trying this.

TIA.

Vrindi
August 19th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Here's the method a lot of us use:
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com

Look up Feye's self trim on youtube, and you can see lots of examples.

Beav83
August 19th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Thank you Vrindi. I appreciate it. Do you also know where I can find instructions for S&D for the proper way to trim my split ends?

Shizuku
August 19th, 2013, 08:36 PM
When I do a serious S&D I usually put my hair into little sections and skim through them. I start out by twisting them up and looking for split ends poking out ( remember to only cut the split ones!) then I look through the ends. Honestly though, most of my S&D is done halfheartedly while watching tv. :o S&D can get pretty addicting, so I suggest setting limits for how often you do it.

Sharysa
August 19th, 2013, 08:42 PM
I use the same method as Shizuku (twisting sections of hair and then snipping off the split ends that poke out). However, I trim once a month on the new moon so that I don't go crazy with split-end trimming.

roboeyes
September 5th, 2013, 10:24 AM
I've never cut my own hair because I'm super afraid to mess it up! But maybe I'll try that Feye method someday... For now, I have a hair stylist best friend, so she trims me for free :)

dulce
September 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Check out the CREACLIP[demos on utube]you can cut different[blunt,u,v] hems,bangs,layers,short and long hair.

spidermom
September 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM
For split ends, I braid my hair into at least twin braids and then check my braids periodically. The split ends that poke out are easier to isolate and snip off than when I try to search and snip through my loose hair.

For layered ends, I use the compact layering method of putting my hair into a ponytail on top of my head. I use a second pony-tie to slide down the length (tightening as needed) until I get to the amount that I want to cut off.

Fo non-layered ends, I part my hair down the middle, and comb each side smoothly and evenly forward to combine into one ponytail under my chin. Then I close a child's cardboard book over my ponytail and slide it down until the amount that I want to cut off is sticking out the bottom of the book. I cut it straight across and get a slight U shape when my hair is loose.

Words
September 5th, 2013, 12:55 PM
I use the creaclip and I love it.

Vrindi
September 5th, 2013, 01:04 PM
I've never cut my own hair because I'm super afraid to mess it up! But maybe I'll try that Feye method someday... For now, I have a hair stylist best friend, so she trims me for free :)

Awesome you have someone to trim your hair!

Cutting your own hair is a little scary at first, but if you try it, just take a tiny bit off. Less than an inch. If you've really messed it up, it won't be noticeable and you won't have to lose much to have it fixed. But being able to trim yourself is pretty liberating, I think. It's nice to know you don't have to be at the mercy of a scissor-happy stylist.

leslissocool
September 5th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I cut my own hair, it's been over 7 years since I went to s hairstylist. I started with Feye and the pony tail cut, now I have a creaclip and I cut my kid's hair and all!

PamelaViktoria
September 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I've never met Feye. But I owe her so much.

I've been using her methods for 13 years.

A cheap haircut would be $30. $30 x 12 per year x 13 years = $4680.
That's more than our first car was worth haha

lapushka
September 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
My hair was layered just about two weeks ago now. We used (my mom cuts it for me) one of the compact cut methods that is mentioned in the book, "Haircutting for dummies" (totally recommend!). Both the methods consist in making a ponytail on the top of your head, for shorter layers you make the ponytail at your forehead (hairline), and for longer layers you make a ponytail on the top of your head. I've had both methods before, and they are amazing for wavy or curly hair! Next to that I totally recommend Feye's self-trimming method. It's popular here!

leslissocool
September 5th, 2013, 06:01 PM
My hair was layered just about two weeks ago now. We used (my mom cuts it for me) one of the compact cut methods that is mentioned in the book, "Haircutting for dummies" (totally recommend!). Both the methods consist in making a ponytail on the top of your head, for shorter layers you make the ponytail at your forehead (hairline), and for longer layers you make a ponytail on the top of your head. I've had both methods before, and they are amazing for wavy or curly hair! Next to that I totally recommend Feye's self-trimming method. It's popular here!

That's the ponytail cut I mentioned! It's the most flattering layered cut I've ever had TBH, and the cheapest :lol:.

jacqueline101
September 5th, 2013, 06:05 PM
I like Feye method I used it this last time. Before I did a pony tail method.

Zindell
September 7th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Fo non-layered ends, I part my hair down the middle, and comb each side smoothly and evenly forward to combine into one ponytail under my chin. Then I close a child's cardboard book over my ponytail and slide it down until the amount that I want to cut off is sticking out the bottom of the book. I cut it straight across and get a slight U shape when my hair is loose.

This is what I do these days. I call it the "Spidermom Self Trimming Method". (Thanks Spidermom!)

It works perfectly. For me it produces a slight V shape and I love it. :D

lapushka
September 7th, 2013, 06:37 AM
That's the ponytail cut I mentioned! It's the most flattering layered cut I've ever had TBH, and the cheapest :lol:.

It's great isn't it? I love it too. :D

Soltimus
September 7th, 2013, 06:48 AM
For split ends, I braid my hair into at least twin braids and then check my braids periodically. The split ends that poke out are easier to isolate and snip off than when I try to search and snip through my loose hair.

Now that's a brilliant tactic for dealing with split ends. I will definitely give it a go. Just thinking about S&D sessions sometimes gives me palpitations when thinking of all that hair I need to get through!

Leeloo
September 7th, 2013, 08:24 AM
If you search youtube there are a bunch of tutorials and Feye's method seems to be one of the best. There are also a bunch of different methods for S&Ding like just the ends or twisting the strands and getting hair higher up the shaft.

WilfredAllen
September 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
I have 1c/2a hair. I don't like very blunt ends (don't look good on me... possibly because of my hair texture). I grab my hair in small sections, hold them straight out or up from my head, and cut however much I want off. I just do that all over. I don't think that's the proper way of doing it, but I like it.

lillithnight
September 7th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I'm thinking of doing that for my next trim so my most obvious ones are gone. It would work well with me wearing my hair stretched so often.

Yozhik
September 7th, 2013, 12:16 PM

For layered ends, I use the compact layering method of putting my hair into a ponytail on top of my head. I use a second pony-tie to slide down the length (tightening as needed) until I get to the amount that I want to cut off.

Thanks so much for this, Spidermom!
I've used feye's method and the compact layering method a couple of times, and I was always puzzled at how to make sure I was pulling evenly all the way down with the hairtie - why didn't I think of having two? :p

Also, I'm definitely going to give your book method a go, too.

Now to just figure out if I want to re-cut layers or just go for a U-hemline...:hmm:

millyaulait
September 7th, 2013, 12:53 PM
This thread inspired me to do my first ever trim! :D

I used Feye's method & it was so easy, it turned out great. My hair looks so much neater now.

I want to do the Spidermom ponytail/layer thing but I am just too scared I'm going to mess it up. :lol:

DendrobiumGirl
September 7th, 2013, 11:03 PM

Thankyou Thankyou for sharing!! I will be getting the haircutting for dummies book and will try feyes self trimming method!