PDA

View Full Version : Mixed texture, is this natural or health related?

Dowzey
August 18th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Hello everyone,

Today I have a question:
Since I was young I've had stick straight hair with a couple of thicker hairs, that are also remarkably darker than my normal colour (dark blonde, blonette-ish), and seem to be almost black. I always thought this was a genetic anomaly. Lately these hairs have also shown a different texture, they are 2a waves or 2b crinkly. If it wasn't for the thick black hairs I occasionally found as a child, I would think that my hair was changing texture since most of these hairs are at my scalp right around my natural hair parting. However, the majority of my hair is still stick straight and very smooth and also much lighter, the dark crinkly hairs (very coarse texture) are definitely the odd ones out. If my hair was changing texture, wouldn't there be more of these by now?
That made me think, could it perhaps be a vitamin deficiency? I have had health issues for years.

Kaelee
August 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM
I think it's fairly normal. I know I have some coarse, kinky hairs and some perfect ringlet strands (which exist on their own, so I'll just have one random corkscrew strand. :lol:) but most of my hair is straight.

jacqueline101
August 18th, 2013, 01:21 PM
I think it's normal. I have a few thick hairs.

massivecnqstdr
August 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I also have this issue. My hair is a level 7.5ish and the random hairs are a level 5. They are very coarse. I've noticed it on some other family members, too. I would presume its normal, just like having varying undertones and textures on your skin.

Leeloo
August 18th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I think it's normal, even if your hair is changing texture with age. Since hair texture depends on how it grows out of your scalp any damage or changes to your scalp can make your have more or less wavy or only wavy in one or some parts of your scalp.

Isilme
August 18th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Yep, I'd also say normal because if it's not I'm abnormal :D I have 50% fine but not super fine slightly wavy hair on my top half of my head, and then the underside is darker, coarser and more wavy and crinkly as you said. I just care for my hair like it was straight. But if I do a half up the underside frizzes like combed out curly hair would do so I need to mist it and put something moisturizing in to make the waves defined. One of the reasons I very rarely do half ups.
You're totally normal!

Sarahlabyrinth
August 18th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I think it is normal, I have several different textures of hair and levels of curl in my hair.

Dowzey
August 20th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Alright! Thanks for the reassurance. :) Now I just have to figure out how to hide the little critters, since they decide they'd like to defy gravity and grow straight upwards.

RavenBaby
August 20th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I think it's normal too, all my hair is wavy except the hairs near the end of my neck that are pin straight, some people comment on it and find it strange lol