PDA

View Full Version : Updos for a job interview?

YamaMaya
August 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Hello everyone :)

I just wanted to get some ideas from you guys. I've got an interview for next week, and I'm not sure what to do with my hair. I don't want to leave it loose for fear that the wind may mess it up and I look less than stellar :p. I'm totally blank for ideas though, all I can think of is a basic bun, but I'd love to hear your ideas for sophisticated looking hairstyles that a beginner in hair styling can do within a reasonable amount of time on BSL hair.

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 07:36 PM
What kind of job is it?

YamaMaya
August 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM
What kind of job is it?

It's for a large UK based travel company in a sales/service position.

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 07:53 PM
So most likely you'd want something professional. I would honestly go for a style you are comfortable with, that you know you can do and get to last through a day. The LAST thing you want is to have your hair fall out mid interview! Even a simple French braid (if you can do French braids) would suffice, if that's the style that you're sure will hold up with you. Remember you're going to be nervous anyway, which is going to make any little issue seem major and you definitely don't want any bun explosions. :agree:

The interviewer will be paying way more attention to YOU, then your hair, anyway. At least they should be. ;)

YamaMaya
August 17th, 2013, 07:58 PM
So most likely you'd want something professional. I would honestly go for a style you are comfortable with, that you know you can do and get to last through a day. The LAST thing you want is to have your hair fall out mid interview! Even a simple French braid (if you can do French braids) would suffice, if that's the style that you're sure will hold up with you. Remember you're going to be nervous anyway, which is going to make any little issue seem major and you definitely don't want any bun explosions. :agree:

The interviewer will be paying way more attention to YOU, then your hair, anyway. At least they should be. ;)

Thanks for your ideas :blossom:. I didn't even think about bun explosions shudder:

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Thanks for your ideas :blossom:. I didn't even think about bun explosions shudder:

I've finally got to a point that they don't happen on a regular basis. Nothing quite beats walking down the hallway at work, and in front of everyone, having the bun you THOUGHT was stable go SPROING!!! And you're doing that "Oh my my hair what do I do?" moment in front of people you know. EXCEPT, maybe, having it happen at an interview. :lol:

I would really only recommend styles that you're comfortable with wearing all day.

luxepiggy
August 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM
I always wear my hair in a French twist for interviews - I think it looks more professional and is better suited to a corporate setting than a braid or a bun.

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I was going to suggest that luxepiggy, french twists look very professional indeed! I also happen to think sock buns can look really tidy too.

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
With BSL hair though, a French twist may not be possible. Or, at least, if the hair is thick. I can not, for the life of me, manage a French twist. If I even get close, the results are anything BUT professional. Think :taz:

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2013, 08:56 PM
It is difficult to get a frech twist on long hair, I have trouble doing so myself, but it's not impossible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obg8mT08804

And the way this woman does, separating the top layer to be added later also helps preventing a messy top look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMm81fPJ08E

Firefox7275
August 18th, 2013, 05:35 AM
French twist, neat bun or maybe a half up. Secure with spin pins and carry extra hair pins. IMO not a French braid.

Night_Kitten
August 18th, 2013, 06:11 AM
A french twist looks really professional, but if it's a style you're not already practiced at doing, I'd go for something "safe" that you already know how to do well and not try to learn a new style in the short time before the interview (as there's a chance you can't practice enough to make it perfect in time you have left, and the excitement about the interview in the morning surly won't contribute much to the success of an unpracticed style)...
Any bun you can do "with your eyes closed" decorated by an elegant comb or hair-stick would look professional IMO, and a tucked-in french braid would also look professional for a job interview (again, only if you already practiced before and it's a style you know you can do well even if excited / under pressure)...

I wish you luck in the interview and hope you get the job you want :)

ladylovecraft
August 18th, 2013, 06:49 AM
I'm a nurse, and I find that having your hair up in any kind of bun or french twist works fine. Then again, I may be more accustomed to really wanting my hair out of my face (why I steer away from braids) so that may be influencing my opinion. I think if you can do one a french braid would look gorgeous and professional though!

faellen
August 18th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I always wear my hair in a French twist for interviews - I think it looks more professional and is better suited to a corporate setting than a braid or a bun.

Piggy! How do you manage a French twist on your hair? I used to love French twists but when I got to around BSL I found it more difficult. Tell meeeeeee :D :blossom:

melusine963
August 18th, 2013, 06:37 PM
It is difficult to get a frech twist on long hair, I have trouble doing so myself, but it's not impossible:

Thank you for these tutorials. I've never been brave enough to try making a french twist with my TBL hair, but I might just give it a go now.

luxepiggy
August 18th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Piggy! How do you manage a French twist on your hair? I used to love French twists but when I got to around BSL I found it more difficult. Tell meeeeeee :D :blossom:

Nowadays my French twist has a tail! Same sleek look from the front, though (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/French-pony-flip-1.jpg

Kaelee
August 18th, 2013, 07:22 PM
:thud: :thud: :thud:

Miss Piggy, that is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I am so doing that when I hit waist!!!

luxepiggy
August 18th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Thank you Kaelee! It is my go-to style these days - so easy to do and goes with both dressy and casual outfits (^(oo)^)v

Also, faellen, if you don't like the look of the tail, or you want more protection for your ends, you can just twist & wrap the extra length around the outside perimeter of the French twist, using spin pins at regular intervals to secure:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/spinpin2.jpg

IPHO, both methods (leaving the tail out or wrapping it around) allow for a sleeker & more secure updo, because you don't have to struggle to stuff all of the excess length into the twist itself.

Kaelee
August 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Oh, I'll have to try that one too! *wait's patiently for Amish pins to arrive*

chen bao jun
August 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
French twist with ficcare was my first thought, too.
My second thought is Gibson tuck or victory roll. with spin pins, they shouldn't budge

Celtic Queen
August 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
When I did do a few interviews, and keeping in mind that your seem to go for a more business-looking position, I'd say something discreet (for them) and easy (for you), so that they focus on your skills, and you on showing them your skills and learning the right things on the position.

A neat braid - straight on your back, or put away with discreet sticks or a ficcare-style, could be good. French twist is a good one, but not the only possibility. I'll emphasize again the importance of a style that is easy for you (avoiding bun explosions or such).

jacqueline101
August 19th, 2013, 03:37 PM
I'd say a French twist or bun.

sunflowersmiles
August 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I love a french twist for interviews. I do it this way for my waist length hair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUUhZSMhECg

faellen
August 19th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Thank you soooo much luxepiggy, I will give it a go! What beautiful photos, your hair is just stunning!

spirals
August 21st, 2013, 01:37 AM
For some reason I'm thinking braids of any kind are too casual. I'd say a chignon (or any bun that can be done close to the nape) or french twist. Anything else will just draw undue attention to your hair. And no accessories like clips or sticks, for the same reason. I'd just use hidden pins, whatever works for you. I've never used spin pins, but people say they hold well.

Leeloo
August 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM
I always thought that French twist looks very professional.

heidi w.
August 21st, 2013, 01:16 PM
I think I'm late to this discussion. Wrap from underneath the back of the hair. A headband of a hair braid. Then keep the remainder of the hair down the back. It'll look very nice.
heidi w.

Night_Kitten
August 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM
Nowadays my French twist has a tail! Same sleek look from the front, though (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/French-pony-flip-1.jpg

WOW Piggy, that is absolutely gorgeous, and a great variation idea :love:
Whenever I see a pic of your hair I just sit there and stare at it for a few minutes before I can go back to reading the post... :crush:

woodswanderer
June 19th, 2014, 10:29 PM
Reanimating an old thread for more job interview hair questions.:brains:

Is a flexi 8 unprofessional for a job interview?

I like the ideas on here for the OP, but my buns are always in danger of exploding due to slippery hair, minimal taper, blunt ends, and general lack of mad bun skills. My only bun that I can count through anything is an infinity bun with a waterfall tail held by a flexi 8. FWIW, I can't french braid and all my buns have some sort of tail because I epically fail at tucking blunt ends. I'm worried about it because DH already has a job at the same place, and his interview lasted half the day, with lots of walking around outside and from building to building. The position I am interested in is a receptionist/visit coordinator for a small local college. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

woodswanderer
June 19th, 2014, 11:15 PM
I would also potentially like to wear my hair down with a front section from each side pulled back and clipped with an understated but classy barrette like a half up, because I think down is my best look, but maybe that is too casual or dated or...maybe at TB+, my hair is just too long to wear down for an interview without me making a first impression of being "weird" for having longer hair than normal. I'm stressing about the whole job interview situation in general.

Janette17
June 20th, 2014, 01:42 AM
I think, it's best to be comfortable so wear your hair in such a way that you are happy with, and can go about the interview without worrying about it or focusing on it. My personal preference would be a lwb, because that's what I wear most, but if half up is what you wear most then just go with that... At least there won't be any mad bun explosions!!

HoneyDayTripper
June 20th, 2014, 05:13 AM
Some people were asking how to do a french twist on long hair-- I separate my hair into 2 sections-- for the top section, I twist it into a little bun right where I want volume, the flip it upside down and hide it under itself. Then I pin it. Then I create a french twist the remaining hair in the back. I twist the hair up then kind of fold it down over itself and start hiding it/cramming it underneath itself. Another way to visualize this is to make a long oval shaped bun that you fold over itself. I basically do what this tutorial does, but instead of teasing the top section, I make a mini-bun and then fold it backwards and over itself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMm81fPJ08E

woodswanderer
June 20th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

DweamGoiL
June 20th, 2014, 08:51 AM
If you are going for a job internview in a professional conservative setting like an office outside of a creative field (they have a more lax culture), wearing really long hair down is a mistake. Any flashy hair accessories would also draw negative attention. A neat bun or french twist or even a gibson tuck are more in line with making a good first impression. If wearing hair toys, they should be muted colors, no sparklies, beads, or anything intricate so IMO a Flexi-8 is not appropriate for an interview. Think of this way, if you get the job, there will be plenty of time to wear all your prized toys later, but to get your foot in the door, you need to comform to what is appropriate for that particular environment. Good luck!

torrilin
June 20th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Anything that disappears into your hair should be fine, so a plain metal flex-8 with no dangly bits or sparkly bits should be fine. Even if you've got dark hair and the silver or gold metal contrasts, you can make sure the clip matches your jewelry. That way it looks intentional and subtle.

Ends sticking out in a waterfall tail or peacock twist sort of effect can look very nice. If you're really freaking out, get your partner or a friend to take pictures of you so you can see the effect from the front and back without the distraction of a mirror.

Kaelee
June 20th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I don't see anything wrong with a flexi, as long as it's not one of the really casual (daisy, flip flop) or really blingy (dangle) ones, or really bright colors, you should be fine. I think honestly, the last thing they're going to be looking at is your hair, UNLESS YOU'RE PLAYING WITH IT CONSTANTLY, so you need to make sure you're comfortable and that your hairdo is secure, first and foremost. All the "conservative" in the world is useless if it doesn't stay and your updo explodes in the middle of your interview, or if it's uncomfortable so you are messing with it, especially since you'll probably be nervous (I'm prone to "preening" behaviors when I'm anxious, so if I have hairs pulling even slightly, I'm going to be subconsciously tugging at it. Not good.)

woodswanderer
June 20th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Yeah, my biggest fear is a hair explosion, so I think I will probably do the flexi 8. My flexi has clear honey colored beads, small silver beads, and a small dragonfly in the middle...no dangles. I got it ages ago, and I just ordered a new one last night(the black and silver with the tiny dangle in the mega section). I wish the one I have now was all silver, but the beads are close enough to my hair color that it won't be high contrast. I will also practice other buns and see if I can get something that I can guarantee I won't need to fix for a few hours with spin pins. Sometimes they untwist on me.

Probably no one will have any idea how long my hair is with an infinity bun, even with the waterfall tail. I just don't want someone to have a bad reaction to me because they think long hair is gross, or weird, or think my hair is unkempt because it isn't straight.

gus
June 21st, 2014, 09:03 AM
I think a hairstyle that you're going to be comfortable with and that you think looks nice is the most important thing - as other wise ladies have said in this thread, all the conservative styling in the world won't help you if you a) hate it and b) are worried that it's going to fall out the whole time during the interview. Can I ask what styles you usually wear your hair in? It might be possible to just do some slightly more subdued variation of what you always do - that way you're not worried about it, and can focus on being awesome at the interview.

meteor
June 21st, 2014, 09:47 AM
Yeah, my biggest fear is a hair explosion, so I think I will probably do the flexi 8. My flexi has clear honey colored beads, small silver beads, and a small dragonfly in the middle...no dangles. I got it ages ago, and I just ordered a new one last night(the black and silver with the tiny dangle in the mega section). I wish the one I have now was all silver, but the beads are close enough to my hair color that it won't be high contrast. I will also practice other buns and see if I can get something that I can guarantee I won't need to fix for a few hours with spin pins. Sometimes they untwist on me.

Probably no one will have any idea how long my hair is with an infinity bun, even with the waterfall tail. I just don't want someone to have a bad reaction to me because they think long hair is gross, or weird, or think my hair is unkempt because it isn't straight.

I think, for job interviews long hair is best kept up and in a very simple-looking, non-distracting style.
IMHO, the best is a simple cinnabun, or if you are afraid of a bun explosion, go for a braided bun with a very inconspicuous but secure hair toy.

RUNAWAYCHIC006
July 10th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Great thread. I would say French twist. I would be carful with hair accessories too. Although pretty, some more conservative work places may not like them and find they stand out to much. Once you get the job I would say accessories or fine but not during the interview.

BoopBoop1
July 10th, 2015, 09:58 AM

luxepiggy Your hair is sooooo beautiful <3 and that color looks great <3