PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going natural.

Shizuku
August 17th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Just a bit of background: I am very mixed (italian, polish, dutch, african-american, chinese, indian, native american, you name it really) My natural hair texture is 3b with a layer of 2a on the bottom. I'm having a bit of a dilemma. In 8th grade I relaxed my hair for the first time and went a bit crazy with hair dye and the straightener. My hair ended up really thin and damaged, so for the last year and a half I've been giving it tons of TLC and little chops. However, I didn't know how to deal with the growing out process and let a stylist talk me into the Keratin treatment. She said it would "repair" my damaged hair (which I know is impossible now) and still keep my curl. I loved the results until I realized my curl was completely gone. Three treatments later, the only curl left is at my roots. I've finally gotten my hemline thick at APL/MBL, but my hair is frizzy and sporadically wavy(2a?) . However, it is quite soft and has a shine. It isn't terrible and I've learned to work with it. It's a lot more manageable than the fro, but it doesn't have the "life" I see in natural hair. I'm willing to learn to work with my natural texture to get healthier hair. There in lies the problem though. I think my hair may be too far gone to revitalize the curl, so I'm faced with "the big chop." I'm going into 12th grade next year and going into school with a micro fro would be social suicide; especially since everyone there has gorgeous WL hair. TL;DR:I'm hoping for some advice from my new hair sisters, mamas, (papas? :D). Any tips on dealing with the new growth (especially with such different textures)? Is it worth continuing the keratin or do you have any recommendations for brands that won't alter the texture, tips for diy treatments, ect.? For others with naturally dry hair: how often do you co-wash/use shampoo? Tips on protective styles that won't give me thin edges? Any advice would be appreciated! I've pretty much been on this hair journey alone. (My mom didn't even know what a moisturizer was before I explained it to her. LOL) I'm going to try to post some pictures of my old and new textures soon.

Shizuku
August 17th, 2013, 02:14 PM
http://i44.tinypic.com/2d0h1sm.jpg

Old texture

Shizuku
August 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/14e2l9k.jpg

New texture

McFearless
August 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM
After years of flat ironing my hair my texture was permanently altered like yours. My curls were no longer ringlets and once the super curly roots came in my hair looked a little weird. The transition period was surprisingly easy though. I switched from sulphate shampoos to conditioner only washing and learned many different bun hairstyles to get me through it. I recommend you stop doing those Keratin treatments and allow your hair to grow in virgin.

You are super gorgeous, don't compare your hair to other girls. Afros are awesome :afro:, but if you're uncomfortable with the look you can do smaller trims until your roots grow down to a longer length.

Shizuku
August 17th, 2013, 04:26 PM
After years of flat ironing my hair my texture was permanently altered like yours. My curls were no longer ringlets and once the super curly roots came in my hair looked a little weird. The transition period was surprisingly easy though. I switched from sulphate shampoos to conditioner only washing and learned many different bun hairstyles to get me through it. I recommend you stop doing those Keratin treatments and allow your hair to grow in virgin.

You are super gorgeous, don't compare your hair to other girls. Afros are awesome :afro:, but if you're uncomfortable with the look you can do smaller trims until your roots grow down to a longer length.

Aw thanks girl! :) I think being a curly takes a ton of confidence. Did you go for the big chop? I have no idea how to care for my roots, plus my scalp gets dandruffy sometimes. I think this means I'm washing too much? But I don't see how that's possible since I cowash every 3 to 4 days and only shampoo once a week.

leslissocool
August 17th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Mmmhmmm.... BFF has similar texture to yours (not an afro per se, but really tight curls) and she also did the keratin treatment, and what she did was just kept it on a bun. She kept her hair up and braided, and it didn't look bad at all, I never noticed until she pointed it out. Just keep it up, get some cute hair toys.

nakima
August 17th, 2013, 05:51 PM
your hair is very pretty either way and Im also from many ethnic back grounds only I have stick straight blonde hair all the time lol!

McFearless
August 17th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Aw thanks girl! :) I think being a curly takes a ton of confidence. Did you go for the big chop? I have no idea how to care for my roots, plus my scalp gets dandruffy sometimes. I think this means I'm washing too much? But I don't see how that's possible since I cowash every 3 to 4 days and only shampoo once a week.
I did multiple chops spaced out months apart with lots of layers to encourage curl in the processed sections. Now I'm growing out a fro :)

What are your concerns with your roots?

A flaky scalp could mean a few things. Build up of conditioner that isn't being rinsed properly, or shed skin that isn't being removed while you wash and is being trapped by your curls. Try lightly scratching your scalp with a wide toothed comb in the shower to remove dandruff. A spoonful of apple cider vinegar diluted in water may also help clear it. Check the ingredients in your shampoo as well. Sulphates might be too harsh for weekly use.

HylianGirl
August 17th, 2013, 08:49 PM
hey my hair is not as curly as yours, but I have been through the process of chemical straightening and then growing it out through small trims, untill my naturaal texture reached about shoulder and I had a big chop. However the way I dealt with it was not very LHC friendly, I blowdried it to match the length of my hair.... I wouldn't do that today though, nor do I recommend it, it'll cause heat damage over time.

Maybe you could try braid outs? I don't think they will hold as well on straightened hair, but it could at least make the texture match better. Other than that I highly recommend going natural you'll fell your hair is much healthier and better, and search for the curly girl method, it helps wonders.

Brileeka
August 17th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I don't think you should do a big chop now. I'm going into to the 12th grade as well. Id say just grow out your natural texture for at least the next year and you could do a big chop after you graduate if you want. if your hair looks funny growing out a different texture you could always figure out new hair styles. It probably would look fine if you put your hair up or braid it. I'm sure you'll figure something out. Good luck!

CurlyCap
August 18th, 2013, 01:34 AM
I'd learn to baby your natural hair texture and then cut all your growth to "maintain your length". In time, you'll transition to back to your natural texture and eventually have curly hair. This will be a little less traumatic than a Big Chop.

Caveat 1: As more of your hair is curly, you might actually see your length shorten because more of your overall length will be in spirals.

Caveat 2: Many people notice a texture change after perms (which you mentioned you did around 8th grade?) that results from the root/scalp itself being damaged from the perming process. So, when your hair starts to grow in virgin, don't be surprised/upset/shocked if it doesn't look exactly like it did when you were a kid. I've had friends who only regained their original texture 10 years after they stopped perming.

Follow the "Wurly and Curly" and "Official Type 3" threads and you'll eventually pick up all the tips. You don't need to make a bunch of hair routine changes at once. Just try new things and see if your hair likes or dislikes the change.

Good luck.

CurlyCap
August 18th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Double post.

Firefox7275
August 18th, 2013, 05:24 AM
You have a beautiful face that would surely take to many styles or to a big chop. You made me think of this recent thread
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/hall-fame-discussion/161634-success%3B-curls-accepted-my-high-school.html

I'd encourage you to spend time watching some of the many videos on YouTube on people who transitioned from relaxed hair, both by regular trims and by the big chop and how they continued to look cute throughout (protective styles, accessories). The 'natural' movement is huge and growing all the time, stars are starting to buck the trend for dead looking ironed hair too. Solange Knowles to Thandie Newton, Rihanna has newly curly hair and hers is short, Oprah wore a huge fake fro on her latest magazine cover (a hair special) and that cover was all over the social networking sites.

Please see your family doctor or a dermatologist about your flaky scalp, you need a diagnosis before you can settle on appropriate treatment. There are products out there that are both curl friendly and scalp friendly, tho many prescription products are pretty harsh so it's more the diagnosis you want. Do also work out if your hair is coarse or fine, high or low porosity, high or low elasticity and work with that when you choose ingredients and products. I highly recommend the Curly Girl method, again there is a ton on YouTube, otherwise do come over to the Naturallycurly forums.

Othala
August 18th, 2013, 06:20 AM
I think you need to grow out a few inches of your natural hair and then evaluate what is happening at the point your new growth meets the chemically treated hair. If the "union" is strong and there is no breakage, then grow it out and get microtrims so that you are gradually cutting off the damaged hair and increasing the proportion of virgin hair on your head.

If the "union" is weak and your hair is breaking off at that point, then despite the "social suicide" I suggest you go for the big cut because the breaking hair is going to be so difficult to manage or make look presentable. If people are truly your friends, they will remain your friends through this. Easy for me to say you might think but around your age I decided to shave the sides of my head and have a mohican. Loads of people deserted me but my two good friends (after gasping and embarrassed laughter) showed themselves to be my best friends by sticking by me.

Other alternatives I can think of are braiding, extensions and wearing a weave, but none of those options may do your new growth any good for a variety of reasons. Nevertheless, they may be interim solutions that are bearable for you at this stage of your life.

Good luck!

Killahkurlz
August 18th, 2013, 07:15 AM
a nice.transitioning style could be braids outs. that way your entire head would be one pattern.

Shizuku
August 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks so much for your advice everyone!:D I'm going to look up some nice buns/ braids. Since I have layers, I usually have trouble with hair poking out whenever I do braids. I have to constantly fix them, so I probably end up touching my hair more than I would if I left it down. :whistle:

I think you need to grow out a few inches of your natural hair and then evaluate what is happening at the point your new growth meets the chemically treated hair. If the "union" is strong and there is no breakage, then grow it out and get microtrims so that you are gradually cutting off the damaged hair and increasing the proportion of virgin hair on your head.

If the "union" is weak and your hair is breaking off at that point, then despite the "social suicide" I suggest you go for the big cut because the breaking hair is going to be so difficult to manage or make look presentable. If people are truly your friends, they will remain your friends through this. Easy for me to say you might think but around your age I decided to shave the sides of my head and have a mohican. Loads of people deserted me but my two good friends (after gasping and embarrassed laughter) showed themselves to be my best friends by sticking by me.

Other alternatives I can think of are braiding, extensions and wearing a weave, but none of those options may do your new growth any good for a variety of reasons. Nevertheless, they may be interim solutions that are bearable for you at this stage of your life.

Good luck!

Luckily the "union" seems pretty strong and there hasn't been any breakage(that I'm aware of.) I move around a lot so, sadly, I don't have a very strong support system of friends. I do have one best friend who I know will stick with me. (We became besties at my most awkward stage: curly, braces, acne; the WHOLE package haha.) I'm probably going to wait till college before I do anything too drastic. It's time for college interviews and, as as rude and ignorant as it may be, some people believe curly hair is "messy" and "unprofessional." I think that all the positive feedback and attention was probably the biggest motivator for frying my hair to death. :doh: That's part of what has inspired me to "reclaim my roots." ( :laugh: I'm a sucker for bad puns)

I'd learn to baby your natural hair texture and then cut all your growth to "maintain your length". In time, you'll transition to back to your natural texture and eventually have curly hair. This will be a little less traumatic than a Big Chop.

Caveat 1: As more of your hair is curly, you might actually see your length shorten because more of your overall length will be in spirals.

Caveat 2: Many people notice a texture change after perms (which you mentioned you did around 8th grade?) that results from the root/scalp itself being damaged from the perming process. So, when your hair starts to grow in virgin, don't be surprised/upset/shocked if it doesn't look exactly like it did when you were a kid. I've had friends who only regained their original texture 10 years after they stopped perming.

Follow the "Wurly and Curly" and "Official Type 3" threads and you'll eventually pick up all the tips. You don't need to make a bunch of hair routine changes at once. Just try new things and see if your hair likes or dislikes the change.

Good luck.

I was wondering what was causing the texture change in my new growth! I've heard of people's texture changing as they got older, so I thought that might be the culprit. This might explain my two textured hair. I used to have beautiful spirals all over my head until my mom put some kind of at-home semi-permanent relaxer in my hair. I was very young (maybe 6-7?) so I don't remember exactly what it was, but, since then, the lower layer of my hair has grown in straight and puffy. :( I'm really happy with my more recent new growth though! The bottom layer is growing in, as usual, straight and puffy, but the other areas are growing in spirals! (They even spring a little when I tug on them. :D)

Forgive me if this post is formatted all wrong. I'm new to the forums and I'm having trouble figuring out how to put spaces in between lines.

Shizuku
August 18th, 2013, 02:10 PM
You have a beautiful face that would surely take to many styles or to a big chop. You made me think of this recent thread
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/hall-fame-discussion/161634-success%3B-curls-accepted-my-high-school.html

I'd encourage you to spend time watching some of the many videos on YouTube on people who transitioned from relaxed hair, both by regular trims and by the big chop and how they continued to look cute throughout (protective styles, accessories). The 'natural' movement is huge and growing all the time, stars are starting to buck the trend for dead looking ironed hair too. Solange Knowles to Thandie Newton, Rihanna has newly curly hair and hers is short, Oprah wore a huge fake fro on her latest magazine cover (a hair special) and that cover was all over the social networking sites.

Please see your family doctor or a dermatologist about your flaky scalp, you need a diagnosis before you can settle on appropriate treatment. There are products out there that are both curl friendly and scalp friendly, tho many prescription products are pretty harsh so it's more the diagnosis you want. Do also work out if your hair is coarse or fine, high or low porosity, high or low elasticity and work with that when you choose ingredients and products. I highly recommend the Curly Girl method, again there is a ton on YouTube, otherwise do come over to the Naturallycurly forums.

Oh thanks so much for that inspiring story! I really needed to hear that. I wore my hair curly to school once last year, but I'm not sure what kind of response I got. Everyone who commented just said "Your hair!" and I couldn't tell if the tone was positive or negative. My "curls" aren't all too impressive right now but maybe after some more tlc and chopping I'll get to see the full effect of my mane. :D I'll sign up there right now with the same username so feel free to buddy me! :beerchug:

Firefox7275
August 18th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Oh thanks so much for that inspiring story! I really needed to hear that. I wore my hair curly to school once last year, but I'm not sure what kind of response I got. Everyone who commented just said "Your hair!" and I couldn't tell if the tone was positive or negative. My "curls" aren't all too impressive right now but maybe after some more tlc and chopping I'll get to see the full effect of my mane. :D I'll sign up there right now with the same username so feel free to buddy me! :beerchug:

I will look out for you on Naturallycurly, I am the same username there too. Like here on LHC there are many helpful people on NC, including those who have transitioned from relaxers/ keratin straightening/ severe flat iron damage.