PDA

View Full Version : Need advice and opinions about my routine.

scotty2013
August 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm Scott from the UK. Very pleased to meet you all :)

I am growing my hair out and at the moment it is quite short so I have a long way to go.
So whilst it is growing, I have come up with a routine which I hope will condition and improve the overall quality and texture. I would like to run it by you and see what you think.

My routine:

Firstly, I am taking Kerastase Densi-Recharge as a supplement everyday designed to densify and improve the quality of new hair growth.

As a pre-shampoo treatment, I am applying Extra virgin coconut oil to dry hair and leaving it in overnight.

The next day, I wash the coconut oil out with Kerastase Bain Satin 2.

I then apply ApHogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor to damp hair and leave to process under a cap without heat for 30 minutes.

After I have thoroughly rinsed it out, I apply Kerastase Masquintense to damp hair and leave to process under a cap without heat for 1 hour.

Finally, after rinsing it out, I distribute one pump of Kerastase Elixir Ultime through damp hair and leave to air dry.

Once a month, I will use a clarifying shampoo before I apply the coconut oil. My aim is to have thick, shiny hair that doesn't tangle easily and retains it's style and condition for most of the day (easier said than done) will this routine and the products I have chosen achieve this in the long term? Any suggestions or advice are appreciated. Thanks for reading

Hootenanny
August 17th, 2013, 01:34 PM
Welcome, Scott! :) It looks like you have a good routine going. May I ask how often you do the full routine? The reason I ask is that if you are doing it any more than weekly, the Aphogee protein treatment might become a bit much for you. AFAIK, it's a fairly strong protein treatment, and since coconut oil further reduces protein loss, unless you hair is very, very fine and delicate, you could get over-proteined.

swearnsue
August 17th, 2013, 01:46 PM
I'm not familiar with those products but I know that it's important to make sure you are eating enough protein.

Wildcat Diva
August 17th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Bonus points for the use of coconut oil. As long as your hair likes it, I'd certainly recommend it.

Perhaps you can look into alternating other deep treatments that don't have protein? As we speak I have the Snowymoon Moisture Treatment on my hair, with a heating cap. You can google for the thread on here. Many of us swear by it. Keep reading and don't try too much new at one time.

scotty2013
August 17th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Welcome, Scott! :) It looks like you have a good routine going. May I ask how often you do the full routine? The reason I ask is that if you are doing it any more than weekly, the Aphogee protein treatment might become a bit much for you. AFAIK, it's a fairly strong protein treatment, and since coconut oil further reduces protein loss, unless you hair is very, very fine and delicate, you could get over-proteined.

Hiya! Thanks for the welcome. It didn't occur to me that coconut oil reduces protein loss. I guess I will skip that step and only do it if I feel that my hair needs it. My reasons for adding the protein treatment in my routine was to add thickness and strength to the hair strands and to also help the hair retain moisture.

scotty2013
August 17th, 2013, 06:43 PM
I'm not familiar with those products but I know that it's important to make sure you are eating enough protein.

You're absolutely right and I am incorporating more protein in my diet. Thanks for the reply

scotty2013
August 17th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Bonus points for the use of coconut oil. As long as your hair likes it, I'd certainly recommend it.

Perhaps you can look into alternating other deep treatments that don't have protein? As we speak I have the Snowymoon Moisture Treatment on my hair, with a heating cap. You can google for the thread on here. Many of us swear by it. Keep reading and don't try too much new at one time.

Thanks for the info, I will take a look. I certainly am interested in learning about deep moisturising treatments with no protein.

Vanilla
August 17th, 2013, 06:48 PM
I use to use Kerastase shampoo and conditioner. I loved the age recharge mask! As others have suggested, you may want to cut back on the protein treatments to only once per month. Protein treatments have a tendency to dry the hair out.

i also recommend a snowymoon moisture treatment. It's made with honey, aloe and conditioner. I substitute coconut oil for the aloe. It's a great mask.

jeanniet
August 17th, 2013, 07:15 PM
What are your hair properties? That is, what's the type, texture, thickness, porosity? If it's not naturally thick or shiny, there's a limit to what you can do to change that unless you change the structure of the hair itself--for instance, straightening curly hair. We can give you better advice knowing your properties.

Coconut oil soaks are good, especially if you have damaged/porous hair. The protein treatment is pretty heavy-duty and may be way too much that often unless you have significant damage. Fine hair usually likes protein, but again, probably better in a milder form. The other products you're using may be helpful, but you can probably achieve the same effect doing things like SMT (and not after every wash unless you only wash once a week). Sometimes less is more. Clarifying is only done as needed, whether that's once a week, once a month, or once a year. I don't clarify often, because I use products that don't build up. If you don't need to, don't do it.

Eat a good, varied diet with plenty of fresh produce, and get enough sleep and exercise. Good nutrition is better than any supplement.

seeker
August 17th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Good evening - several have mentioned the use of coconut oil. I keep seeing this across the LHC and I've been on the hunt to find some - but then stopped when I read about all of the other essential oils needed. I got confused and stopped hunting. Was hoping to find all in one maybe? So - do you all recommend just strait coconut oil applied to the hair and scalp? or just the hair? Do you do this daily and put it in for wear overnight? Or is it more of a weekly thing? Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Kiwiwi
August 17th, 2013, 07:31 PM
@seeker

You don't "need" any essential oils at all.
If you want to do so that's fine but you don't need it for the coconut oil to work.

People use it in many different ways.
They use it as a leave in (a tiny tiny bit).
People use it as a pre-shampoo treatment (put it in before you wash your hair).
People use it as a treament (use a lot).
Some people use it daily, some weekly, some monthly, some whenever they feel like it.

You don't have to put it on your scalp unless you find your scalp likes it.

Really it's all about experimenting for yourself. No 2 heads are the same. What works for one doesn't have to work for another.

You can also try other oils.
For me, coconut oil doesn't work. I get horribly crunchy ends and oily hair from it. I enjoy argan oil and sweet almond oil very much :)

Good luck experimenting!

seeker
August 17th, 2013, 09:28 PM
oh thank you! this was very helpful! I understand that most of these oils can be bought at Walmart so I'm going to grab some tomorrow and start experimenting. Thank you again - your hair is beautiful by the way!

jeanniet
August 18th, 2013, 02:16 AM
oh thank you! this was very helpful! I understand that most of these oils can be bought at Walmart so I'm going to grab some tomorrow and start experimenting. Thank you again - your hair is beautiful by the way!

Be cautious, and make sure that any oils you're buying are 100% oil, with nothing else added. Argan oil, for example, is fairly expensive, and you'll often find bottles that say argan oil on the label that contain very little of the real oil. That's definitely not one you can get at Walmart. But you can get coconut oil for sure, and maybe sweet almond or jojoba as well. My favorite oil is camellia oil, but that's another one that's more of a specialty purchase (I get mine on Amazon).

Firefox7275
August 18th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Welcome!

IMO try to work out your hair properties (coarseness/ porosity/ elasticity) and work with those when you choose ingredients and products - you may find you need neither hydrolysed protein nor coconut oil treatments - great as they both are - at this stage of growth. Protein is great for fine or damaged hair, coarse hair does not tend to do well. Cococnut oil is great for normal to high porosity hair and for low elasticity, may overload and will not really penetrate low porosity hair.

You may do well from a simple conditioner containing a little oil or silicones for protection. Shampoo can be damaging as well as cleansing, do choose a super gentle product that is the right pH for skin and hair (4.5 to 5.5), free of sulphates, soaps and ideally all anionic surfactants.

Nutrition wise most westerners do NOT need more protein especially from land animal muscle meat, we are a long way from deficient most authorities will tell you we consume too much. Protein is beneficial little and often through the day starting with breakfast because the body doesn't store spare. Consider your intake of ALL nutrients from vitamins and minerals to antioxidants and essential fatty acids, possibly the most common deficiencies in the west are magnesium, vitamin D and long chain omega-3s. Basically we don't eat anywhere near enough oily fish, other seafood like molluscs, mineral and fibre rich foods (seeds, nuts, beans, lentils), low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables in the full rainbow of colours. Other nutrient dense foods include organ meats like liver, cocoa powder, omega-enriched eggs. Supplements are intended to supplement a varied and balanced diet not substitute for it.

HTH!

frejafjord
August 18th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Why do you only use Kerastase? I tried the Kerastase conditioner and shampoo for fine hair recently and found it wasnt that good compared to a sulfate free shampoo. Have you tried sulfate free? Many people find this improves their hair 10x

scotty2013
August 18th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Why do you only use Kerastase? I tried the Kerastase conditioner and shampoo for fine hair recently and found it wasnt that good compared to a sulfate free shampoo. Have you tried sulfate free? Many people find this improves their hair 10x

I have tried sulphate free and tbh it wasn't any better than Kerastase. I've used Kerastase for years and it works well with my hair.

Firefox7275
August 18th, 2013, 03:42 PM
I have tried sulphate free and tbh it wasn't any better than Kerastase. I've used Kerastase for years and it works well with my hair.

There are many different sulphate free shampoos, some are harsh and some gentle depending on the surfactant blend. Cocoamidopropyl betaine is as cleansing as sulphates, the glucosides particulasrly gentle. Sulphates do damage the hair and the skin and certain other anionics are little better, you may not see that at shorter lengths but the damage accumulates and will be more noticeable as you get to longer lengths (the damage is part of 'weathering'). The alternative is to try to protect your lengths with condition-wash-condition.

"Shampooing with sulfates and soaps: In previous articles, we have discussed that the cuticle layer is comprised not only of keratinous scales, but also a layer of fatty acids on the top surface that protect the hair from moisture, as well as a layer beneath the scales called the cell membrane complex (CMC). The CMC acts as cushion and as a cement the keep the cuticle scales firmly attached to the hair. A large portion of this CMC is made up of a lipid layer of mixed fatty acids, including 18-methyleicosanioc acid (18-MEA), stearic acid, and palmitic acid.

At normal formulation levels (15-20%), harsh surfactants in shampoos, such as SLS, SLES, ALS, and ALES, are capable of dissolving the lipid layer in the CMC and removing the 18-MEA from the surface of the cuticle. This creates irreparable gaps in the cuticle layer, increasing porosity of the hair. Also, by dissolving the protective fatty acid layer from the surface of the cuticle, the hair is rendered more hydrophilic (water-loving), which is a very dangerous state for hair as it becomes more susceptible to frizz, tangling, and damage to the cuticle scales. This information merely confirms what we have been told about the hazards of using these types of surfactants on our hair."
http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/03/indepth-look-at-porosity.html

Leeloo
August 18th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Hello! It looks like you have a great routine in place! I'd suggest to use ApHogee reconstructor about twice a month or so not to exceed on protein from coconut oil and the reconstructor. And I would suggest adding scalp massages every day.

YamaMaya
August 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Careful with that protien, as your hair can get brittle with too much protien treatment.

cmbates2009
August 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
There are many different sulphate free shampoos, some are harsh and some gentle depending on the surfactant blend. Cocoamidopropyl betaine is as cleansing as sulphates, the glucosides particulasrly gentle. Sulphates do damage the hair and the skin and certain other anionics are little better, you may not see that at shorter lengths but the damage accumulates and will be more noticeable as you get to longer lengths (the damage is part of 'weathering'). The alternative is to try to protect your lengths with condition-wash-condition.

"Shampooing with sulfates and soaps: In previous articles, we have discussed that the cuticle layer is comprised not only of keratinous scales, but also a layer of fatty acids on the top surface that protect the hair from moisture, as well as a layer beneath the scales called the cell membrane complex (CMC). The CMC acts as cushion and as a cement the keep the cuticle scales firmly attached to the hair. A large portion of this CMC is made up of a lipid layer of mixed fatty acids, including 18-methyleicosanioc acid (18-MEA), stearic acid, and palmitic acid.

At normal formulation levels (15-20%), harsh surfactants in shampoos, such as SLS, SLES, ALS, and ALES, are capable of dissolving the lipid layer in the CMC and removing the 18-MEA from the surface of the cuticle. This creates irreparable gaps in the cuticle layer, increasing porosity of the hair. Also, by dissolving the protective fatty acid layer from the surface of the cuticle, the hair is rendered more hydrophilic (water-loving), which is a very dangerous state for hair as it becomes more susceptible to frizz, tangling, and damage to the cuticle scales. This information merely confirms what we have been told about the hazards of using these types of surfactants on our hair."
http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/03/indepth-look-at-porosity.html

FireFox7275, my hair would only work with a 2 in 1 unfortunately :( ... what one would you recommend that wouldn't damage the cuticle or strip the hair of the moisture you speak of?

spidermom
August 18th, 2013, 05:21 PM
I also advise that you cut the Aphogee protein treatments down to once per month or even less often. Too much protein can make hair brittle and more prone to breakage. Some hair experts recommend that you never use protein treatments on the hair at all because of that negative side effect, but I've found it's a good idea to never say "never" or "always".

I don't know anything about the products you use. I recently discovered that my hair responds extremely well to Renpure Originals argan oil formula shampoo and conditioner. I've never had better hair with any other product! But of course not all hair is the same and you might hate the product that I love.

Welcome and happy hair growing!

cmbates2009
August 30th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I was thinking about changing my routine up a bit and adding in Your Crown and Glory Peppermint Conditioner, and wanted to know if any of you had tried the product before?

BlazingHeart
August 31st, 2013, 12:43 AM
FireFox7275, my hair would only work with a 2 in 1 unfortunately :( ... what one would you recommend that wouldn't damage the cuticle or strip the hair of the moisture you speak of?

If that is what works for your hair, go with it! I am at about classic length and use a 2-in-1. It is all about figuring out what works for you.

OP, it sounds like you are doing a lot of work of the variety people do when they have a problem, but your hair is perfectly healthy. Am I reading you right? If so, I'd think that your hair is going to be healthiest if you stick to trying to reduce mechanical damage (use the right detangling tools, be thoughtful about protecting your hair, don't pile hair on top of the head to wash, get a silk pillowcase, no heat styling, etc). It is really easy to get too much protein on your hair, which can make it dry, fragile, tangly, and damaged looking.

cmbates2009
August 31st, 2013, 04:54 PM
If that is what works for your hair, go with it! I am at about classic length and use a 2-in-1. It is all about figuring out what works for you.

OP, it sounds like you are doing a lot of work of the variety people do when they have a problem, but your hair is perfectly healthy. Am I reading you right? If so, I'd think that your hair is going to be healthiest if you stick to trying to reduce mechanical damage (use the right detangling tools, be thoughtful about protecting your hair, don't pile hair on top of the head to wash, get a silk pillowcase, no heat styling, etc). It is really easy to get too much protein on your hair, which can make it dry, fragile, tangly, and damaged looking.

I see what you mean. I usually wash my head upside down never pile on top of my head and never finger comb. PUlls to much and gets too tangled. I used a wide toothed comb but comb through gentle when wet and i comb side to side not front to back. I can't really tell what my hair is really getting to much of. all i know is what i can afford. I used suave all the time growing up. When i left home is when i started trying these different products and thats when my hair started changing. Now i'm back to using the v05 kiwi and coconut suave. If it worked for me as a kid maybe will work for me and help me go back to what i used to know. I still do oilings every now and then. I go back and forth. Now do not laugh. I use castor oil and evoo or Doo Grow. I just like the smell and i like the stuff it has in it. I'm not much for going complex. I am a very simple person. I would be the lady that wouldn't care if her hair looked dry. However, I am the one that cares if her hair is unhappy with a styling product. Then i'll change what styling tools and stuff i'm using on my hair. Once in a while i use a deep conditioner on my length and ends really good. If needed i either get keratin treatments or b-5 treatments every few months at the salon. Other than that I don't think i will change my hair care products anymore unless i choose to try henna coloring for the first time. I hear it is sensational ;) i get the vitamins i need from my multi and food, i drink plenty of water. The only sad part is that i have to wear it up all the time at work. That I blame the breakage on because the bottom half of my hair is see through due to the ponytail thingy cutting through the hair. Haven't been able to find out that wont. It even said Ouchless on the package. As for styling I only use a diffuser to dry my hair because if i don't it dries with no volume and becomes a bigger frizzier tangled mess than if i didn't. Anyway sorry for the long post :)