PDA

View Full Version : Cleansing Conditioners for Fine/Thin Hair Heads who shed!

cmbates2009
August 17th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Has anyone ever tried these? if so what was your experience? What do you think? If not, what is your opinion?

http://www.chazdean.com/c-2-cleanse.aspx

HollyG
August 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I can't comment as i haven't used one but i am also intrigued as i currently just use a cheap asda conditioner (80p for 500ml) to cleanse every other day (my hair loves SLS so i do still use shampoo).

I h

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 10:10 AM
I think they're insanely overpriced for what is essentially the Conditioner Only (CO) method that many of us use with he cheapest conditioners we can find (I use Aussie, many use V05 or Suave).

Some people swear by Wen, I know quite a few here who LOVE Wen. I personally won't be trying it as I can in no way justify spending that much money on conditioner.

People have been CO washing for years. Chaz Dean just found out about it and decided to market a "revolutionary", "New" concept.

Firefox7275
August 17th, 2013, 10:49 AM
IMO very overpriced for what they are since you have to use loads, and WEN is designed to be 'moisturising'/ conditioning which can easily weigh down your hair type. Many fine/ thin hairs prefer to shampoo, avoiding sulphate surfactants and ideally other anionics can reduce the risk of shedding with them. There are sulphate free shampoos that contain ingredients that may be beneficial in scalp health/ hair loss such as Regenepure or Komaza Care Moja.

I love conditioner only washing but I use a cheap basic product (Inecto) since I get through quite a bit and it all goes right down the drain with the sebum and old product residues. It's very cleansing and does not weigh my hair down.

millyaulait
August 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I think they're insanely overpriced for what is essentially the Conditioner Only (CO) method that many of us use with he cheapest conditioners we can find (I use Aussie, many use V05 or Suave). :scissors:

Which Aussie 'dish do you use? :)

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Which Aussie 'dish do you use? :)

I use Moist, myself. I can get a huge pump bottle of it for $5 and it smells delish!

Flaxen
August 17th, 2013, 11:55 AM
I have to stay away from sulfates, and had been using a great shampoo for ten years, but they recently reformulated it, and now I'm looking or a new favorite. So, I can't help with what to use, but I can help with the WEN question. :smile:

Here are threads on the topic, from largest to smallest thread.

1. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68147

2. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=77601

3. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78201

heidi w.
August 17th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Conditioner is not meant to clean hair, and one should not use a conditioner that washes AND cleans in one fell swoop. That's a bad idea. Very bad. Also, as a second mention, don't apply conditioner to scalp hair because one's sebum can get the scalp hair. Just apply from about the bottom of the ears on down, and that is it.
heidi w.

Leeloo
August 17th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I've tried them and I can't say that they were so great (since I stopped using them). They are very much overpriced. There are several other brands that started making hair care products like that for 1/3 of the price.

akilina
August 17th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Heres a cheaper alternative I tried out....I love mixing shampoo and conditioner in a bottle and using it as a cleanser!! After that, I still use normal conditioner too. I saw it on Pinterest and ended up liking it but its a little wasteful for me, so I only do this with old s+c I don't like anymore.

Othala
August 17th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I use a cleansing conditioner, but not Wen. I use Curl Junkie Daily Fix every third day for 9 days and then use John Masters Organics Lavender Rosemary shampoo (no sulphates) on day 12. I also use a no cone conditioner after every wash be it with the cleansing conditioner or the shampoo.

I use the cleansing conditioner on my scalp as well as my hair and my scalp is calm and happy.

Firefox7275
August 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Conditioner is not meant to clean hair, and one should not use a conditioner that washes AND cleans in one fell swoop. That's a bad idea. Very bad. Also, as a second mention, don't apply conditioner to scalp hair because one's sebum can get the scalp hair. Just apply from about the bottom of the ears on down, and that is it.
heidi w.

Are you advocating water only or mutual grooming as our ape relatives do? The human body didn't evolve to cleanse with shampoo or alkaline soap any more than it did conditioner. Plenty of people successfully remove make up with a lotion cleanser, dermatologists actively prescribe/ recommend creams or lotions to cleanse the body for those with certain skin complaints. These are not 'special' products, they contain the same emulsifiers (mix oil and water) as a basic conditioner - the cationic surfactants and fatty alcohols.

Plenty of people successfully conditioner only wash, my skin and my hair are clearly healthier and more aesthetically pleasing than they were before. It's not for everyone because we have different needs, but is DOES get hair and skin clean and it DOES respect the skin's innate barrier function (acid mantle, skin flora, stratus corneum thickness) better than commercial shampoo or alkaline soap. BTW soap was not formulated for human use, it was invented as a degreaser for fabrics and household items - a predecessor to dish soap and laundry powder. Consider the cosmetic science and corneobiology don't let squeamishness or hysteria trump logic.

BambooBeauty
August 17th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I love wen but I only use it as a treat for my hair like if i'm going to something special. I have a couple cheaper cleansing conditioners that I use the rest of the time. Hair one from sally's and l'oreal cleansing conditioner.

stinkyfeet
August 17th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I have used Wen, Hair One from Sally's, and some conditioners I have at home to co-wash. I have to admit that I like the minty feeling that Wen gives on my scalp.

I want to try one with no-cones next. I'd like to see if it produces a different result.

ladylovecraft
August 17th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I've tried Wen and I find it to be a very overpriced version of the CO method. I get exactly the same results COing using a Vo5 conditioner that I did using the sample packs of Wen. *shrug*

jeanniet
August 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Wen is too expensive for me to bother trying it for CO, but CO is a very effective cleansing method, especially for anyone who wants to keep moisture in their hair. Right now I'm using either Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, As I Am Coconut Cowash, or Curl Junkie Daily Fix. Yes, it cleans my hair; yes, I use it on my scalp; no, I don't shampoo often because I don't need to. I actually think I could get away with shampooing rarely/never. I do it occasionally, once or twice a month (maybe), but don't find it really necessary, and don't use sulfate shampoo. BTW, my mildly itchy scalp has cleared up by avoiding shampoo. It was worst on sulfate shampoos.

I've always used conditioner on my scalp, even before CO. I don't have any issues with it.

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Wen is too expensive for me to bother trying it for CO, but CO is a very effective cleansing method, especially for anyone who wants to keep moisture in their hair. Right now I'm using either Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, As I Am Coconut Cowash, or Curl Junkie Daily Fix. Yes, it cleans my hair; yes, I use it on my scalp; no, I don't shampoo often because I don't need to. I actually think I could get away with shampooing rarely/never. I do it occasionally, once or twice a month (maybe), but don't find it really necessary, and don't use sulfate shampoo. BTW, my mildly itchy scalp has cleared up by avoiding shampoo. It was worst on sulfate shampoos.

I've always used conditioner on my scalp, even before CO. I don't have any issues with it.

I think most people use conditioner on their scalps and don't have issues with it.

If I have issues it's with a SPECIFIC conditioner, not conditioner in general. I shampoo once a week or so, but I CO wash daily. My hair is much happier. I have far fewer split ends.

jeanniet
August 17th, 2013, 09:35 PM
I think most people use conditioner on their scalps and don't have issues with it.

If I have issues it's with a SPECIFIC conditioner, not conditioner in general. I shampoo once a week or so, but I CO wash daily. My hair is much happier. I have far fewer split ends.

Agreed. I know there are some people who do have problems, or find they need to shampoo, but clearly many, many can CO and are very happy with it. I don't like the results I get with the popular conditions for CO (Suave and VO5), but the ones I use work really well for me. The condition of my curls has improved dramatically since I went 100% CO (I mean as my primary cleansing method).

Kaelee
August 17th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Agreed. I know there are some people who do have problems, or find they need to shampoo, but clearly many, many can CO and are very happy with it. I don't like the results I get with the popular conditions for CO (Suave and VO5), but the ones I use work really well for me. The condition of my curls has improved dramatically since I went 100% CO (I mean as my primary cleansing method).

Aussie works great for me. Trader Joe's made my scalp go insane :( and V05...well I can't get past the scent that lasts literally DAYS despite washing with something else.

jeanniet
August 18th, 2013, 02:09 AM
Too bad on the TJ's. It makes my scalp feel better, although I'm not washing with it every time now. Hubby uses it all the time--I finally got him to CO (he swims and his hair was getting really dried out).

samanthajenalyn
August 19th, 2013, 11:51 AM
I use RenPure Cleansing Conditioner. It's a knock-off of Wen I think. You can get it at most drugstores for somewhere around $10. I really like it a lot. It leaves my hair so soft.

breezefaerie
August 19th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I can't say anything about Wen per se, but I can about the Sally's knock off - waaaaayyy too heavy for my fine, thin hair.

I just CO, or CWC with Suave or VO5, whichever I happen to have on hand.

cmbates2009
August 21st, 2013, 07:02 PM
I can't say anything about Wen per se, but I can about the Sally's knock off - waaaaayyy too heavy for my fine, thin hair.

I just CO, or CWC with Suave or VO5, whichever I happen to have on hand.

Which v05 or Suave do you use? the Sallys' one didn't do well for my hair. Love WEN though

breezefaerie
August 22nd, 2013, 06:24 AM
I honestly just go through a rotation of several different "flavors".
Kiwi Lime Squeeze from VO5 is a favorite along with the Tea series. Suave is more hit or miss, but I do well with the clarifying one and the Strawberry one.
Whenever they go on sale for under a dollar around here I stock up on what's available.

Glad to hear the Wen is working for you! I just started (as in yesterday) using Aussie Moist as my hair likes some cones. We will see how that goes!

Earth Angel
August 22nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
I have used the Wen Almond cleanser but found it a bit heavy for my very fine hair and it's also loaded with 'cones' which doesn't help either, maybe i used the wrong kind but it's extremely expensive to keep trying different ones.

cmbates2009
August 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM
Do you just use the CO conditioner or do you use a second conditioner for extra in case you hair seems to be dry after. After a shower i brush mine out before bed. I have to or else i have knots in the morning. But i have to use a 2 in one and then a second condish. Sometimes its the wrong combo but somehow it just doesn't seem enough. So what other conditioners do you use on top of your cleansing conditioner???

Kaelee
August 22nd, 2013, 06:10 PM
I don't personally use two conditioners. I know some do though.

cmbates2009
August 22nd, 2013, 09:13 PM

What do u do and what do u use?

cmbates2009
August 22nd, 2013, 09:19 PM
heidi w.

What do you use to clean your hair?

Kaelee
August 22nd, 2013, 10:11 PM
What do u do and what do u use?

I use Aussie Moist for the most part, and use shampoo (either a clarifying shampoo or another one) once a week or so. I just coat my hair with conditioner, get it wet(er) so that the conditioner really penetrates to my scalp, massage for a few minutes and rinse well.

truepeacenik
August 22nd, 2013, 10:31 PM
Does anyone have a light to scent free CO conditioner they like?

365 (Whole Foods) is just a bit too heavy for my hair, even dilute. It's stubborn stuff. And great as the second conditioning use.

But I need a lightweight for he first cleansing one.

massivecnqstdr
August 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
-listening- I have the same problem. D:
I've been using V05, but I really dislike synthetic fragrance, and I do wish I could find something light and runny that had little or no scent.

cmbates2009
August 23rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
I use Aussie Moist for the most part, and use shampoo (either a clarifying shampoo or another one) once a week or so. I just coat my hair with conditioner, get it wet(er) so that the conditioner really penetrates to my scalp, massage for a few minutes and rinse well.

Do you have fine hair or coarse hair?

breezefaerie
August 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
I do basically the same as Kaelee, just glop it on wet hair, massage my scalp, comb through my ends and rinse.
I do, however, use cone-containing conditioners on my ends and length only as my scalp does not like cones.
Cones and too much sulfates makes my hair fall out. The shampoo I use, when I use it (about once every two weeks) is very diluted.

I have fine, thin hair and this system keeps my hair clean and scalp happy.

Kaelee
August 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
Do you have fine hair or coarse hair?

Fine-medium. It started out fine, but the older I get, it seems to be getting somewhat coarser. Still on the fine end of the spectrum though, I think.

massivecnqstdr
August 23rd, 2013, 08:51 PM
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=73114
I saw that conditioner at the drugstore today. I didn't purchase it, because I hadn't yet read reviews and the price tag was a little obnoxious for the ingredients. It seems to be what you're looking for, though, truepeacenik!

coffinhert
August 25th, 2013, 09:12 PM
heidi w.

I wouldn't totally agree with this... I've been scrubbing my scalp with conditioner as though it were shampoo for 2.5 years and my scalp has never been happier or shed less. Everyones scalp/hair are so different. Personally I find Trader Joes, Suave, and VO5 to all reduce my shedding. That and washing in the morning rather than at night reduces my shedding.

sarahspins
August 26th, 2013, 09:42 PM

I do, because I don't get enough slip with my co-wash (VO5) to detangle, so I need something else, but I find most conditioners with really good slip to simply be too heavy to co-wash with, my hair never feels "clean" enough. V05 works really really well to clean my hair, and while I find most of the scents nauseating (the Kiwi Lime is the only one I don't find super strong), thankfully my hair doesn't seem to hold on to the scent out of the shower and none have ever bothered my skin. Unscented VO5 would be my ideal co-wash if they ever made it.

I don't think I could *ever* justify using Wen or anything in that same price range considering that a bottle of V05 is like 74¢ and works great.

Mainesongbird
September 4th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I use renpure, it made me shed less and made my hair so incredibly shiny!

cmbates2009
September 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I do, because I don't get enough slip with my co-wash (VO5) to detangle, so I need something else, but I find most conditioners with really good slip to simply be too heavy to co-wash with, my hair never feels "clean" enough. V05 works really really well to clean my hair, and while I find most of the scents nauseating (the Kiwi Lime is the only one I don't find super strong), thankfully my hair doesn't seem to hold on to the scent out of the shower and none have ever bothered my skin. Unscented VO5 would be my ideal co-wash if they ever made it.

I don't think I could *ever* justify using Wen or anything in that same price range considering that a bottle of V05 is like 74¢ and works great.

I have curly hair and i wash my hair upside down with v05 kiwi bit im having trouble. I cant seem to get enough slip or movement/wetness to wash the scalp without ripping the hair out. I just cant seen to get that easy movement to clean the scalp. Plus when i think ive rinsed it all out its not really rinsed out. I still feel ive left some behind after my hair has dried. Am i doing something wrong?