PDA

View Full Version : I am so bored of my hair. Do you ever feel like this?

millyaulait
August 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM
I've essentially been cutting & dyeing my hair since I was 13.

I've had short hair, long hair, layered hair, blunt hair, asymmetrical hair, pixie hair. Red hair, blue hair, green hair, purple hair, black hair, blonde hair.......

Now for the past 2-3 years I've been growing it with long layers, dark brown dye, and lots of love.

Now that I'm brushing waist I feel like my growing journey is almost over, so I'm starting to panic. I'm itching to do something. Anything!

In the past month or so I've played around with cassia, caruso rollers, new hair products, hair toys, up dos, down dos.

I've had to stop myself from picking up the scissors so many times. I want to reach waist, right?! Agh.

I'm not really sure what to do. I think I like my hair. It's inoffensive, all one colour, a little layered at the bottom, side part/bangs.

I just wish I had something different. I just don't know what. I've waited so long to reach this length and now I feel like I need something new.

I've been toying with subtle highlights, maybe more long layers, different bangs. I worry that maybe I'm going to make a huge impulsive mistake.

Have you ever had this feeling, this need to change? Did you get over it or did you give in? Did the 2-week rule help? :flower:

kaydana
August 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I dye the ends of my hair bright colours when I feel like that. It makes those feelings go away without making any big changes I'd regret later.

jacqueline101
August 17th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Yes I do. I get bored change my bang style, give myself a make over, try to keep motivated by coming on here.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 17th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Yes I get bored with mine. I usually just put it up and forget about it. Or buy a new hair toy. Or practice new updos. Or even (gasp) a small trim.

MintChocChip
August 17th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I get bored a lot with my hair. Impulse cuts happen when I get bored. I'm trying to put the scissors down. Definitely try the two week rule. I have regretted a lot of things that I've done to my hair in the past 3 months, and am now playing the waiting game again. But, hey, change is good too! Just make sure it's what you want first, before doing anything too drastic. Buy a shorter wig, and wear it a couple of hours to see if you'd like the change maybe? Or do subtle changes first before any major ones, like you suggested a few more longer layers could be a nice way to experiment through your boredom. ^^

EdG
August 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM
My long hair scoffs at the changing seasons. Fickle thing, seasons.

My long hair scoffs at the changing years. Fickle thing, years.

My long hair scoffs at the changing geology. Fickle thing, geology.

Okay, I'm kidding about the last one. Wouldn't it be great if hair were as constant as geology? ;)
Ed

Peggy E.
August 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM
When I get bored with it - and I do, quite a bit - I try new styles, learning new techniques, setting random goals, such as wearing every one of my hair combs at least once. Little things that will spark some interest and take my thoughts away from my hair and the "now what?" sorts of thoughts.

Sounds to me like you are getting to your goal, as well, and starting to look past that point to...What? The problem with setting a goal is that we so often reach it and then what? Maybe making the plan for your next goal, what comes next after having completed this one you set for yourself, will spark your creativity and lift you over the boredom phase?

Whatever, good luck

RedNymph
August 17th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I do it all the time. The only way I can really quell that feeling is by looking at long hair pictures or just dying a couple of streaks into my hair and get an inch off.

luxepiggy
August 17th, 2013, 11:39 AM
When I started feeling bored of my hair a couple of years ago, I dip-bleached the ends and dyed them blue. Dip-dye tips are a great low-risk way to have fun with your hair, because if you hate it or it causes too much damage, it is easily trimmed off (^(oo)^)v

Leeloo
August 17th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I do feel bored with my hair sometimes. I try to learn a new hair style or get a trim, but I'm trying to stay away from chemical damage, cause I'd like to see what my virgin hair looks like. That could be an interesting goal to see what it would be like to have all natural hair.

KittyBird
August 17th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Nope, I don't get bored of my hair. There's so much of it and it has way too many colours. I do sometimes get bored of the styles and toys I wear, but that is easily solved with a few visits to youtube and etsy/any other hair toy website. ;) Currently I'm really sick of nautilus buns with PM acrylic sticks, because that's how I've been wearing my hair all summer, so now I'm having fun with disk buns, rope braids and flexi-8s.
I think it's important to have fun with your hair. Do whatever you want to and enjoy it.
However, if you really want to get to waist, maybe you could try changing something other than your hair? Like get a piercing, some new makeup, new clothes, learn something new, etc?

Foxylocks
August 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Order some Manic Panic. Great veggie dye! It comes in all kinds of crazy colors and usually lasts only 1 or 2 weeks.

I dye the ends of my hair bright colours when I feel like that. It makes those feelings go away without making any big changes I'd regret later.

kaydana
August 17th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Order some Manic Panic. Great veggie dye! It comes in all kinds of crazy colors and usually lasts only 1 or 2 weeks.

I use Directions

spidermom
August 17th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I can't really say I've ever been bored with my hair because I don't look for any kind of entertainment from it. I used to change it a lot because I would start thinking this would look better or that would look better. I still fall prey to that idea sometimes.

When I'm bored, I go look for something to do.

lapushka
August 17th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Have you ever had this feeling, this need to change? Did you get over it or did you give in? Did the 2-week rule help? :flower:

I've had the feeling, but it was mostly between chin and BSL. The *awkward* stages. Once I got past BSL, this urge to cut, or do whatever with it went away, pretty much like magic.

I'd definitely give it the two week rule. And hold yourself to it!

McFearless
August 17th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Are you truly bored with your hair or some other aspect of your life?

bunnylake
August 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I feel like this on and off a lot! My hair is tailbone length. Seems like any time I have a bad hair day or just a blah whatever hair day, I get a strong urge to lop it all off into a longish bob. I resist because I worry I will regret it, but the urge keeps coming back. Now I'm contemplating bangs, but I always regret cutting my bangs when I do even though everyone says I look great with them. Ugh. I am itching for short easy hair. But then, on a good hair day, I love it so long.

Egana
August 17th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Whenever I feel like I'm getting bored with my hair, I set aside an evening to pamper myself - long combings with some nice smelling oil, then gentle washing and rinsing and leave-in for some pretty curls later - most of the time, I can remind myself how awesome my hair is with a little pampering and curl attention!

neko_kawaii
August 17th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I once wore an english braid every day for about two years straight. I ended up getting a membership here because I wanted access to the hairstyle pictures. I was bored of the braid. Not bored of my hair, just bored of the braid and excited to learn some new tricks without inventing them myself.

My long hair scoffs at the changing seasons. Fickle thing, seasons.

My long hair scoffs at the changing years. Fickle thing, years.

My long hair scoffs at the changing geology. Fickle thing, geology.

Okay, I'm kidding about the last one. Wouldn't it be great if hair were as constant as geology? ;)
Ed

*grin*

melusine963
August 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM
I get bored all the time. What cures this for me is usually learning a new hairstyle that I can add to my go-to roster. Or getting a new hairtoy/product.

sharonluvscats
August 17th, 2013, 07:32 PM

^this. It works for me. I've been dip dying my ends with cherry kool-aid lately.

WilfredAllen
August 17th, 2013, 08:03 PM
two week rule ABSOLUTELY helps. I've almost re-cut my bangs or hennindigoed soooo many times lol. I'm glad I didn't, but people do use the two week rule and end up doing something they love so it goes both ways (:

Like everyone else has said, maybe dip dyeing the ends could be a fun changes. Peek-a-boo highlights are way easier to grow out than highlights on the top of the hair. Bangs are a more permanent decision than they would seem to be.

You can also get new hair accessories, try new styles, try coloured clip in extensions or clip in bangs. Or how about getting some new clothes or accessories to change how you look through that?

akilina
August 17th, 2013, 08:37 PM
I can't really say I've ever been bored with my hair because I don't look for any kind of entertainment from it. I used to change it a lot because I would start thinking this would look better or that would look better. I still fall prey to that idea sometimes.

When I'm bored, I go look for something to do.
I really love your response, SM.
THIS right here is so true and I need to implement it in my own life. No matter what I do to my hair it really brings me no real cure to the boredom because yet again, I will just be bored with it sooner rather than later.

In the last several months when I'm bored with it I do nothing different (I.e. keep it the same). Shorter hair would NOT make me happier...I've been waiting to go blonde since February but still haven't. I just keep it purple because I need to not go to an extreme measure and fry all my hair off just for a little satisfaction.