PDA

View Full Version : Can i use the same scissors for both fake and real hair?

kittenface
August 17th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I have a set of hair scissors that I use only for cutting wigs and extensions made of synthetic hair (I cosplay, so I have quite a few of those). Do you think it's okay if I use those for my own hair as well? Is there some way to tell if they will damage my hair or not?
I don't really want to buy new scissors just to cut of a few split ends, but I'm a bit worried that using them to cut what is essentially plastic hair might make them less sharp (= damage for my real hair?), but I have no clue, so any advice is appreciated.

Panth
August 17th, 2013, 07:25 AM
I doubt it would cause a problem. I think it is analogous to dressmaking scissors - you only ever use dressmaking scissors on fabric and thread. This is because the other thing scissors commonly get used for is paper/cardboard, which does blunt them quickly (plastics and metals (e.g. packaging, fine wire) are even worse). However, I've never heard of anyone (even the most obsessive individuals) having one pair of dressmaking scissors for animal fibres (wool, silk) and one for synthetics (plastic). I guess human hair vs. synthetic hair would be the same - the synthetic hair wouldn't blunt the scissors any faster than the natural hair.

jacqueline101
August 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM
I think they'd be fine.

luxepiggy
August 17th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Personally, I would use a different pair, but I'm fussy like that (^(oo)^)`

RedNymph
August 17th, 2013, 11:45 AM
As long as they're proper hair cutting scissors, you should be fine. When my sister got her keratin fusion hair extensions, the hairdresser used the same scissors.

Firefox7275
August 17th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Were the scissors good quality/ sharp in the first place? I wouldn't have thought you'd be sold professional hairdressing scissors for trimming up cosplay wigs.

Leeloo
August 17th, 2013, 11:55 AM
As far as they are good quality hair scissors I think they would work. That said having your own only for your hair professional scissors is the best though.

Sharysa
August 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM
First off: YAY ANOTHER COSPLAYER! I don't cosplay anymore due to work/school, but it's always nice to find others.

Second: They are specifically hair scissors, and you only use them to trim wigs. Since wigs don't grow like normal hair, you'd actually be using them on your hair more than your wigs in the long-term. I think you're fine.

lapushka
August 17th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I'd use a different pair also. It's probably not an issue if you cut -for example- extensions made of human hair. But synthetic hair? Nah. I would use different scissors.